Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Audience Numbers for AUJ - a "Natural" Limit?

Arannir
Tol Eressea

Mar 10 2013, 12:01pm

Views: 614
Shortcut
Audience Numbers for AUJ - a "Natural" Limit? Can't Post

Since we have crossed the most important $ milestones and had a lot of discussions whether AUJ was a outright success or a small disappointment at the BO, I started thinking again.

I already thought like this before the movie started and found some "predictions" to be hilariously hyped and way too optimistic and see some of it confirmed now.

Might these numbers simply be the natural limit for the franchise ten years after LotR?

Of course, the reviews had a certain effect on the BO... but a really high one? I doubt it. People who really liked LotR would have tried it out anyway, I guess.

In my environment I rather had the impression that there were more people saying either "No, not again Hobbits and Tolkien... it was fine back then, but not again." or "Wasn't crazy about LotR, will not try again".

In the last ten years most people who are remotely interested will have probably seen the trilogy and decided on whether they like it or not - and accordingly made their decidion on whether to go see the Hobbit. While LotR was something new and that got a lot of attention because of its success story, people now are pretty sure whether it is their cuppa tea or not.

Of course, from time to time you get a BO phenomenon (Avengers, Avatar - and even Skyfall). High numbers that were hard to foresee (same goes to some extent for the original trilogy). But that cannot really be the measure of success or disappointment - although it is the logic that several blogs and certainly the forums of boxoffice.com and BO Mojo follow.

I was wondering whether one should not look at it from another perspective... how great (and rare) it is that a franchise has this kind of consistency over time - both for the books and the movies. Because, after all, it still confirms that this material seems to STILL touch, move and excites a lot of people beyond your average Tolkien-geek.

Even if the material is not the average crowd-pleasing flick, but one that includes some challenges for both book-lovers and average-movie-goers, especially when you do the "little brother" after the epic.

Just a few thoughts on a Sunday morning, being once more happy to actually be part of the times these books become alive. So much more fun than looking back at classics purely in hindsight :)

Subject User Time
Audience Numbers for AUJ - a "Natural" Limit? Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Mar 10 2013, 12:01pm
    I spoke to someone who didn't want to watch AUJ because of the reviews. BoromirOfWinterfell Send a private message to BoromirOfWinterfell Mar 10 2013, 12:18pm
        A friend at college refused to watch because she hated boring LotR and Armitage looks like a klingon QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Mar 10 2013, 12:36pm
            RA looks like a Klingon? BoromirOfWinterfell Send a private message to BoromirOfWinterfell Mar 10 2013, 12:45pm
                Her entire judgement of the movie was from one picture... QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Mar 10 2013, 12:50pm
                    To be fair ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 10 2013, 12:51pm
                        Can't believe they chose such a bad pic as the first reveal // QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Mar 10 2013, 12:57pm
                    That is a bit eerie.... BoromirOfWinterfell Send a private message to BoromirOfWinterfell Mar 10 2013, 12:57pm
                    Really weird... especially since he does not look like that in the movie at all. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Mar 10 2013, 12:59pm
            she might have been thinking of this picture... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 10 2013, 1:02pm
            We weren't expecting Thorin to look good Marionette Send a private message to Marionette Mar 12 2013, 1:25am
            Been there and admit to that ByThorinsBeard Send a private message to ByThorinsBeard Mar 24 2013, 1:05pm
    I don't feel there really is a natural limit imin Send a private message to imin Mar 10 2013, 12:57pm
        Yeah... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Mar 10 2013, 1:06pm
            Plus - and that was the most important thing for me in my OP... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Mar 10 2013, 1:20pm
            Oh sorry i must have not quite understood what you meant by natural limit. imin Send a private message to imin Mar 10 2013, 1:32pm
                No need to apologize.,. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Mar 10 2013, 1:40pm
        This pretty much sums it up Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Mar 10 2013, 2:00pm
            Germany Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Mar 10 2013, 2:55pm
                Yeah, pretty much. Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Mar 10 2013, 8:51pm
    Some thoughts Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Mar 10 2013, 3:41pm
        Well stated. BoromirOfWinterfell Send a private message to BoromirOfWinterfell Mar 10 2013, 5:56pm
            Thank you :) Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Mar 10 2013, 6:54pm
            Indeed Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 10 2013, 8:37pm
                Home Viewings Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Mar 10 2013, 8:40pm
                "Sad" is an understatement <book spoilers> BoromirOfWinterfell Send a private message to BoromirOfWinterfell Mar 11 2013, 1:06pm
        Totally signed. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Mar 10 2013, 6:59pm
            A virtual high five for you as well. :-) Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Mar 10 2013, 7:09pm
    Purely anecdotal -- SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Mar 12 2013, 2:12am
        True, of course. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Mar 12 2013, 7:07am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.