Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
tweaking the script...

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 10 2013, 10:28am

Views: 668
Shortcut
tweaking the script... Can't Post

i've loved the hobbit more with each viewing, and the things (legitimate, i think) that bothered me on the first viewing didn't bother me as much or i didn't notice as much the more i came to care about the company.

however, there are still a couple of places i think the script could use some tweaking.

one is the white council scene, when all the players are present. even after many viewings, it still strikes me as a bit stilted.

a missed opportunity (i don't think this scene is stilted) is when bilbo is trying to stall the trolls.

he suggests the best way to cook dwarves is by skinning them first. in the book, gandalf is the one (out of sight) who is mimicing the voices of the trolls and making competing suggestions (skinning, squashing, roasting, etc.), so it seems that each troll is arguing with the rest, which quickly happens, and delays everything until dawn.

i understand why they gave this role to bilbo. no problem there. but i think it would have worked better and been truer to the book if bilbo had made the competing suggestions. he wouldn't have had to mimic the troll voices. it could have gone something like, "skin them first," then, "on the other hand, squashing them makes them really tender" and so on.

any places where you think the script might be tweaked for the better?

Subject User Time
tweaking the script... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 10 2013, 10:28am
    White Council Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Mar 10 2013, 11:09am
        I think the White Council scene was trimmed a lot DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 10 2013, 12:17pm
            Good Point DLB! Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Mar 10 2013, 2:08pm
    Good thoughts tolktolk Send a private message to tolktolk Mar 10 2013, 11:27am
    The Trolls Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 10 2013, 3:15pm
        agree with all your comments about the troll scene except Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 10 2013, 3:33pm
            Agreed... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Mar 10 2013, 3:53pm
        i find it very funny that balin Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 10 2013, 3:36pm
            I know right? Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 10 2013, 3:53pm
                "thorin, NO!" Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 10 2013, 4:04pm
                    That bothered me, too totoro Send a private message to totoro Mar 10 2013, 5:47pm
                    Balin... Angharad73 Send a private message to Angharad73 Mar 10 2013, 7:23pm
            To be fair... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Mar 10 2013, 8:41pm
                I agree with this Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 10 2013, 8:44pm
                    I liked marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Mar 10 2013, 11:41pm
                    Me too Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 11 2013, 12:27am
                        I'll have to look for that Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 11 2013, 12:58am
                    Also, Elrond had to know all along... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Mar 11 2013, 1:42am
                        Good point Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 11 2013, 3:04am
            It doesn't really matter ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 11 2013, 9:21am
    Spot On IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Mar 12 2013, 1:05am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.