Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 8 2013, 4:04am

Post #1 of 23 (150 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

It's another week of the Walk to Rivendell; how go your journeys?

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles covered last week: 156.7
Cumulative miles: 11950.9
Miles along the journey: 796.73
Miles out of Rivendell: 399.73

No, the mileages don't add up from last week's post to this week's; I discovered an error in my spreadsheet that meant a few columns of people's mileages weren't getting added in. The good news is, it means we're further along than we thought we were. Somehow, I don't think anyone's going to complain if we get out of Mirkwood Forest sooner!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 1. sigh.
Cumulative miles: 482
Goal: There and Back Again!

Did I say I'd be done with Girl Scout cookies this week? I think they're done with me; I'm exhausted! I didn't realize how stressed out I got with them until the sale was done. But there's a light at the end of the tunnel - I'm starting to get back on an even keel, so I'm hoping to start building my mileage back up this next week. Wish me luck!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 8
Cumulative miles: 488
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 8 2013, 5:40am

Post #2 of 23 (119 views)
Shortcut
Done with cookies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy for you, I hope you now have the time and energy for life to return to normal! I heartily dislike fundraisers, and my kids have so far avoided doing any (they're not involved in scouting, and I have resisted the school's many attempts. But they do play sports, so I fear that someday we will succumb!)

Though Girl Scout Cookies are yummy. Heart

My mileage for the week is 22 miles.

Which put me within sight of Weathertop, though still a ways to the west of it. At least I am finally past the marshes, they were getting monotonous...

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 11:03am

Post #3 of 23 (101 views)
Shortcut
Progress report... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad that we don't have this sort of fundraiser here, with cookies or otherwise. They sound rather stressful.

Miles covered this week: 39.7
Cumulative miles: 217.1
Goal: There and Back Again!

I guess I'm past Weathertop now, somewhere in the Lone Lands, am I right?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 8 2013, 12:14pm

Post #4 of 23 (101 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you're in the Lone Lands... [In reply to] Can't Post

And wow, 39 miles! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 9 2013, 12:39pm

Post #5 of 23 (115 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Walkers and Lurkers! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always a great surprise when you catch something and it ends up being a BONUS! Awesome :D My math mistakes are usually more depressing . ;)

The cookies are gone... there's something very sad about that. *ponders the wonderfulness of cookies* Not the boxes and delivery, but the consumption is alays a good thing ;) Can you tell I'm back on my diet? *sigh*

I had a good week for exercise.... and Bilbo, Gandalf and I are still on our way toward Weathertop as we travel back to the Shire. I can't WAIT to get home :D

Thanks lots for keeping us on the road, Arandiel! I hope you have an AWESOME WEEKEND!

Miles covered: 20
Cumulated miles: 1822
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 9 2013, 12:49pm

Post #6 of 23 (93 views)
Shortcut
Fund raisers... depends on what they are [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care for the raisers that offer wrapping paper and fruit cakes; but my office manager's boys are in high school football/track and every year they do apple pies. My Mom is an awesome pie-maker.... and she has me get her at least 3 of these pies to keep in her freezer. I cut each one in half and wrap them separately. So when she's hungry for pie, she doesn't have to back the whole thing and they last her through the year.

You're almost to Weathertop!? Isn't it great that we have such a visible target during this long stretch? Tally Ho! and have a GREAT weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 9 2013, 12:55pm

Post #7 of 23 (96 views)
Shortcut
Great Progress! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Racing down the road and getting it done! *high five*

Have a GREAT weekend! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Mar 9 2013, 8:23pm

Post #8 of 23 (95 views)
Shortcut
Spring is here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear you're done with the Girl Scouts cookies! I bet that'd wear me out too. Glad to know we're farther along that we thought, too! YAY! Good work, guys. Here's my mileage for this week!

this week miles: 27.2
cumulative: 912.8
goal: There and Back Again Group challenge!

The weather has been crazy this week, but spring is on the rise! I'm so happy! And my garden is growing. If you'd like to see the sprouts, I put pictures up on my blog. Here's a link! I have BIG hopes for my garden this year! Laugh

Keep going guys, and we'll be out of the woods in no time! Cool

http://outmyfrontdoorgirlslife.blogspot.com/

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Mar 9 2013, 11:57pm

Post #9 of 23 (103 views)
Shortcut
Week 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Miles since last post: 7.93
Total: 120.45
Personal Goal: Erebor - contributing to Group
This Goal's Miles: 40.35 (926.65 to go)

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2013, 10:57pm

Post #10 of 23 (73 views)
Shortcut
Those marshes do go on a bit, don't they! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Way back at the start of the challenge (fall of 2011), we spent several weeks on page 31 (according to my edition) of The Hobbit; a few months ago, if we'd have blinked, we would have missed all the action in the Goblins' lair, including the attack, Bilbo and Gollum's riddle game, and the escape. The stories skip over the boring long bits of travel and stretch out all the action for pages and pages. As expected, but it's interesting to participate in this virtual recreation of Bilbo's journey and get a sense for how long it really takes to get from one point in the story to another.

Thanks for the note of encouragement, and I'm glad you're past the midgies!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2013, 11:00pm

Post #11 of 23 (74 views)
Shortcut
Stressful while they're going on... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I love watching the girls develop confidence and plan what they do with the money they earn.

And look at you go! You'll be in Rivendell before you know it!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2013, 11:07pm

Post #12 of 23 (72 views)
Shortcut
So how close are you to Angharad73 now? [In reply to] Can't Post

You two'll be passing each other soon, if you haven't already - that's so cool!

And congrats on the good week - especially after all that traveling, which usually wears me out.

I hope you have a great next week, too, gramma!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2013, 11:15pm

Post #13 of 23 (75 views)
Shortcut
Sprouts! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's wonderful, and thanks for sharing! Around here, it'll be a few more weeks 'til spring springs.

And remember: more than one of our fine TORnFolk have contributed digging, hoeing, raking and other gardening miles to the Walk... (gentle hint to any lurkers and/or closet gardeners...)

Enjoy the Spring Fever, Iolani!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2013, 11:16pm

Post #14 of 23 (74 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Joe, and [In reply to] Can't Post

keep up the good, steady work!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 11 2013, 2:26pm

Post #15 of 23 (72 views)
Shortcut
Looks like around 90 miles [In reply to] Can't Post

this past week. I'm thinking we'll be playing chicken the week of March 21st!!

If anyone else is east of Weathertop around then, come join the moot ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 11 2013, 4:06pm

Post #16 of 23 (70 views)
Shortcut
I should be... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am approaching it from the West and this weekend here we had yet another snowstorm with its snow shoveling, snowblowing, and snowshoeing possibilities. Smile

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Mar 11 2013, 8:54pm

Post #17 of 23 (71 views)
Shortcut
3 weeks worth of miles [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been out of town quite a bit, so I haven't posted in a while. Here it goes:

Miles to contribute to the group: 58.5 miles
My total mileage: 224
Goal: There and Back Again

I'm just making my way up Weathertop; I hope I don't meet any Nazguls up there!

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 11 2013, 9:12pm

Post #18 of 23 (64 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, Weathertop! Hey, gramma, can you see Eowyn3 from where you're at? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is so cool, having four Walkers so close to each other!

Good to see you again, Eowyn3!

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Mar 11 2013, 9:24pm

Post #19 of 23 (62 views)
Shortcut
It's nice to have company at Weathertop!// [In reply to] Can't Post

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2013, 9:14am

Post #20 of 23 (61 views)
Shortcut
I love it when [In reply to] Can't Post

flowers and trees are waking up from their winter sleep!!! I saw a robin (like the one that alerts Radagast) in my Mom's yard last weekend AND one zoooomed across my path when I was driving (fly you fool!). They are the SURE sign that Spring is closeby. PLUS there are maple syrup buckets hanging off the maple trees in town PLUS the skunks are out and about PLUS the Canadian geese are flying overhead in formation. So... I put my snow shovel away :)

LOVE your little flowers playing peek-a-boo! Well done, Iolani!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2013, 9:18am

Post #21 of 23 (59 views)
Shortcut
Still rockin' down the road! [In reply to] Can't Post

*high five* Well done, Joe! Keep an eye open for me as you pass the Midgewater Marshes. I'm coming from the other direction on my way towards Weathertop.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2013, 9:21am

Post #22 of 23 (60 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it a booger when [In reply to] Can't Post

RL keeps us from doing really important things? ;) Well Done! I'll watch for you on the road since I'm coming from the other direction towards Weathertop!

So glad to see you're still on the road!! *waves enthusiastically* :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Mar 13 2013, 11:56pm

Post #23 of 23 (59 views)
Shortcut
I saw flowers today! [In reply to] Can't Post

I went on my walk today (got six miles!) and I actually saw my neighbors' apricot (or peach?) trees budding and blooming! I'm going to HAVE to take my camera tomorrow! You should really see them in bloom--it so unutterably beautiful. And I saw robins today too--they are such lovely birds. They have style and attitude, I must say. Don't you agree?
I'm not sure if you garden too (I think I remember you saying something about gardening yourself) I saw this video today about the natural way of gardening, and it was wonderful! Now I wish I had wood chips nearby!

Here's the link if anyone wants to see it! http://backtoedenfilm.com/

I'm so glad to hear you guys are making such good progress! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Great job guys!!CoolLaugh

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.