Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Blu-ray.com Review of 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Blu-ray Disc (2D)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 8 2013, 4:07am

Post #1 of 9 (991 views)
Shortcut
Blu-ray.com Review of 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Blu-ray Disc (2D) Can't Post

For you're reading and viewing pleasure - a full review of the Blu-ray Disc and 40 Screencaps to go along with it. :)

http://www.blu-ray.com/...Blu-ray/8529/#Review

The Blu-ray edition of The Hobbit wows, dazzles and thoroughly impresses with a stunning 1080p/AVC-encoded video transfer true to Jackson and cinematographer Andrew Lesnie's every intention. Lush, lovely Shire greens, summer-kissed browns and oranges, moonlit blues pierced by blazing flame, relatively lifelike fleshtones and cavernous blacks grant the image soul and spirit, while impeccable contrast leveling and exceedingly natural shadow delineation give it depth and strength. The filmmakers' at-times stylized color grading is presented without apparent flaw, and detail is nothing short of extraordinary. Edge definition is crisp and clean, without any significant ringing or aliasing. Fine textures are refined and exceptionally well-resolved. And there isn't a shot or scene marked by anything less than the utmost care. Better still, macroblocking, banding and other issues are absent, and only the slightest hint of noise and negligible crush will give eagle-eyed videophiles pause. An Unexpected Journey delivers the first of what promises to be a trio of top tier transfers and doesn't disappoint in the least.

Can't wait!!! Cool

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 8 2013, 4:15am)

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 8 2013, 4:45am

Post #2 of 9 (359 views)
Shortcut
Sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a digital version ill watch next week but I am looking forward to seeing how it looks on my HD TV. :rock

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 5:10am

Post #3 of 9 (365 views)
Shortcut
Glad to see this, very nice review. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although PJ probably could have put it out in black and white and I would have still bought it.

Silmaril
Lorien

Mar 8 2013, 7:29am

Post #4 of 9 (327 views)
Shortcut
the release date should be the same WORLDWIDE! [In reply to] Can't Post

but i'm sure it will be great!

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Mar 8 2013, 7:48am

Post #5 of 9 (321 views)
Shortcut
Neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Particularly liked the tactful summation:

The long and short of it? Even when The Hobbit can't quite carry the Ring, it can carry you.

Though I think it had more than

"only a few questionable tweaks or misguided deviations."

Angelic

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Mar 8 2013, 7:49am)

tolktolk
Lorien

Mar 8 2013, 9:04am

Post #6 of 9 (308 views)
Shortcut
I liked this review very much [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes it was tactful, but I think he was spot on about all the things the film got right (though obviously very American in his outlook, since he didn't seem to know who any of the actors were).

Not having seen the film since December, it made me excited to see it again, particularly Riddles which I think is worth the purchase price in itself - with the remote control in hand so I can fast forward through all those "misguided deviations".

ShireHorse
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 10:08am

Post #7 of 9 (289 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for putting that up. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was very well-written and a pleasure to read. I'm looking forward to receiving this (April in the UK, sadly).

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 8 2013, 1:57pm

Post #8 of 9 (232 views)
Shortcut
"Thang you very Bunch" [In reply to] Can't Post

Kenneth Brown did a great review...especially the technical stuff..
Some things Bomby had never heard of.
Facbooked a LIKE...
so pals will
hopefully read it.

There is another
Website Bomby writes on so a
quote from this are Greatly Appreciated...
(Bomby's ...at your service..Aragorn the Elfstone))

Especially his review of "Bilbo's Decision" scene in BagEnd.
Then his leap of faith running through The Shire made Bomby Soar!
Cheering &
a tear or ...2?

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Mar 8 2013, 1:58pm)

tolktolk
Lorien

Mar 10 2013, 11:35am

Post #9 of 9 (69 views)
Shortcut
Hi Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved that scene too, I know some people are annoyed that it is different from the book but this is one instance where I don't mind, because the silent scene is so well done, and it is just so joyous when Bilbo bursts out the door and runs pell mell down the hill. It is also one of few times in the film that I though the music was really excellent and fitted the scene perfectly.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.