Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
POSSIBLE DOS SPOILER: Kili and Tauriel. What it will mean to Thorin.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Mar 8 2013, 3:16am

Post #1 of 37 (1752 views)
Shortcut
POSSIBLE DOS SPOILER: Kili and Tauriel. What it will mean to Thorin. Can't Post

Been contemplating the mirage of this dwarf/elf love affair we've been lead to believe will take place. There's been discussion yay and nay re: Evie's elf and how her character will be used but what intrigues me is if it is true, how will it impact Kili's relationship with his dwarf-hating uncle? Will Thorin have knowledge of his nephew's feelings and express his disappointment and disgust? Will Kili for the first time stand up to the uncle he reveres in disagreement? If so, does anyone think such a "betrayal" from his heir may contribute to Thorin's growing sense of isolation, even from his company, cultivating his paranoia and madness? Anyone else been wonder about this or enjoy typing question marks as much as I do??? Wink

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 3:50am

Post #2 of 37 (1091 views)
Shortcut
I'm not convinced it's going to be a full-fledged love affair. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking more admiration for her archery skills. This all assumes any interaction between the two doesn't get edited to an EE to make room for more Smaug.

But it might be worth it if someone (Fili?) sees how tall she is and says to Kili "shall I get you a box?"

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Mar 8 2013, 3:52am

Post #3 of 37 (1046 views)
Shortcut
Excuse me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to say "elf-hating" uncle. That little slip would have garnered me quite a searing glare from Thorin. (Not that I would necessarily hate that, hee.)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 8 2013, 4:35am

Post #4 of 37 (1030 views)
Shortcut
*snertle* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But it might be worth it if someone (Fili?) sees how tall she is and says to Kili "shall I get you a box?"

I'd love to see *that*. And then the glare that Kili gives in return! LOL!

And I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind a few archery lessons from Kili...he looks to be pretty skilled at handling his bow, if you know what I mean. Angelic

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 5:06am

Post #5 of 37 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Sigh. Would that I were in the right age bracket. [In reply to] Can't Post

Alas, I would feel a bit Demi Moore-ish. But I'm willing to bet he learned some arrow shooting from his uncle, and there I would go!

In Reply To
And I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind a few archery lessons from Kili...he looks to be pretty skilled at handling his bow, if you know what I mean. Angelic

Súlimë
Rivendell

Mar 8 2013, 5:32am

Post #6 of 37 (972 views)
Shortcut
It probably won't be anything too serious [In reply to] Can't Post

... at least I hope it won't. Ideally I would like it to be something brief like Kili staring adoringly at Tauriel and Fili giving him a smack and leave it at that. If it has to be something more I'd appreciate if they made it quite awkward, so no "I will love you forever!", but something more along the line of "What the heck am I even thinking!?" ... if that makes sense :P

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 5:35am

Post #7 of 37 (970 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if they are smart in how they use it, whatever sort of relationship Kili and Tauriel have(and I to don't think it will necessarily be romantic) will cause both of them to grow and change and to see outside their own worlds in a more open minded way away from the biases of their elders.

So I agree with you I think it might be used to cause a distance between them, but more in the sense of not forcing people who have no reason to have the prejudices of their kin to still adhere to them and continue the cycle of mistrust.

If Kili can see elves in a different light than Thorin, then that's a good thing. If Tauriel can see dwarves in a different light than Thranduil then that's a good thing.(Because I think they may play Thorin and Thranduil as slightly two sides of the same coin in terms of allowing old prejudices to cause them to over react to some things).

And it would add some extra meaning to Kili and Fili's deaths - if they'd lived perhaps they'd have been able to take some of that open mindedness back to their own kin and it wouldv'e have been a little easier on Gimli. :) Instead it kind of dies with them.

I was saying in another thread I listened to the whole Movie Bit interview(it's a good interview though it was done when the film was released so it's no new info really but it's still a nice interview(9url]http://www.aidanturnerunited.com/the-hobbit/hobbit-press-interview-with-the-movie-bit/) with Aidan Turner yesterday and he outright says in it that Laketown is going to important for his character.

So I'm thinking the thing with Tauriel may be exaggerated. I think there will be something but it may be more due to admiring her skills than anything else. :) There was also a German interview where when asked to describe Kili he included, among other things, he was open minded and believed in the power of friendship, which would fit that scenario.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Mar 8 2013, 5:37am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 8 2013, 8:25am

Post #8 of 37 (937 views)
Shortcut
I hope no romance takes place [In reply to] Can't Post

I would much rather not see 'Tauriel' (a midget elf?), a completely made-up character. If she does appear, I hope her part in the film will be very brief.

Verbal_Daggers
The Shire

Mar 8 2013, 9:46am

Post #9 of 37 (924 views)
Shortcut
Source? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where did this Kili/Tauriel rumour even come from?

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 8 2013, 10:02am

Post #10 of 37 (916 views)
Shortcut
From here [In reply to] Can't Post

Link.

Verbal_Daggers
The Shire

Mar 8 2013, 10:24am

Post #11 of 37 (869 views)
Shortcut
Thanks ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh dear ... I just hope they don't go overboard with that^^

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 8 2013, 10:37am

Post #12 of 37 (885 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean kimtc [In reply to] Can't Post

re the age bracket bit (and the uncle bit!). I really hope that they keep any relationship just as an implied admiration- a few glances, Kili staring open mouthed and being deeply impressed with her archery skills. Maybe not being able to resist showing off his own skills a bit (probably making an idiot of himself in the process) and the other dwarfs ribbing him about it. ie a mildly comedic but minor story arc, not an all out romance.

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 8 2013, 11:17am

Post #13 of 37 (880 views)
Shortcut
What -- around 70? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
If you're looking for the right age bracket, I'm afraid Thorin is right out, unless you're a *lot* older than you look, by about 150 years. Wink

Ok, okay, I know what you mean. RA's my age too; Aidan's not. But I can still appreciate a younger Dwarf. What's the Middle-earth equivalent -- not that we're going there, of course -- of a cougar?

You know, Thorin probably taught Kili archery, and I bet we'll see how good he is with his own bow in Mirkwood...

stoutfiles
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 2:04pm

Post #14 of 37 (911 views)
Shortcut
It'll be the ending to the second movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin Oakenshield: You! What were you doing kissing an elf? You nearly got your heart broken! Did I not say that I hate elves, that you would not survive if you left us for an elf and that you would have no place amongst us? ...I've never been so wrong in all my life.

[Thorin embraces Kili]

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 8 2013, 2:12pm

Post #15 of 37 (831 views)
Shortcut
Hahahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin Oakenshield: You! What were you doing kissing an elf? You nearly got your heart broken! Did I not say that I hate elves, that you would not survive if you left us for an elf and that you would have no place amongst us? ...I've never been so wrong in all my life.

[Thorin embraces Kili]

That is absolutely hysterical Stoufiles...........!Smile And faaaaar too easy to picture!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2013, 2:49pm

Post #16 of 37 (800 views)
Shortcut
Hilarious [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaugh

As to the issue at hand...please, no soap opera stuff, mr jackson.

Have it just be exotic admiration and curiosity.

Vous commencez ŕ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2013, 2:51pm

Post #17 of 37 (813 views)
Shortcut
Stoutfiles! [In reply to] Can't Post

You just caused me to spit coffee all over my keyboard. A HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! Well done.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Mar 8 2013, 3:12pm

Post #18 of 37 (804 views)
Shortcut
Stoutflies, it's taken me 5 whole minutes to recover from your post! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wish the admins could to a weekly recap of the funniest comments made on the boards Smile

My personal conjecture is that while this romance won't go the Romeo & Juliet route, I also don't think they're going to do a retread of Gimli 'shipping the Big G. If Phillipa wanted to inject female energy into the story, I'd be flabbered if Tauriel amounted to nothing more than a stereotypical object of desire for Kili. Will it be played strictly for humor? Does Tauriel have more in her storyline quiver than Cupid 's arrows? I do hope so.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 3:19pm

Post #19 of 37 (813 views)
Shortcut
I suppose Arwen is a Middle-earth cougar [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want to get into the technical definition...so if anything does happen with Tauriel/Kili, then she is probably also in cougar territory. Shocking.

Yes, in dwarf years I am but a teenager, so I think I will start referring to myself in dwarf years. Fortunately, movie-Thorin looks incredibly well-preserved for such an old guy; must be the clean, fresh air in the Blue Mountains. Or the fact that he is played by RA, which goes a long way towards making anyone look good.

In Reply To
Wink
If you're looking for the right age bracket, I'm afraid Thorin is right out, unless you're a *lot* older than you look, by about 150 years. Wink

Ok, okay, I know what you mean. RA's my age too; Aidan's not. But I can still appreciate a younger Dwarf. What's the Middle-earth equivalent -- not that we're going there, of course -- of a cougar?

You know, Thorin probably taught Kili archery, and I bet we'll see how good he is with his own bow in Mirkwood...

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 8 2013, 3:35pm

Post #20 of 37 (782 views)
Shortcut
Excellent plan Kimtc [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Yes, in dwarf years I am but a teenager, so I think I will start referring to myself in dwarf years.

I think I will as well....

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 8 2013, 4:17pm

Post #21 of 37 (801 views)
Shortcut
It certainly an interesting idea [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll have to see if anything more than a couple of Pippin-like looks at Tauriel is all we get or not. These are not subplots that are viable, unless it does in some way support the key characters. Otherwise, it's a flight of fancy and a distraction. Given that we've seen some odd things in AUJ with bunny sleds and so forth, I suppose the whimsical part is possible.

shadowdog
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 5:03pm

Post #22 of 37 (756 views)
Shortcut
As near as I can tell [In reply to] Can't Post

When a female elf was first mentioned, loud moans and groans from those who saw a romance not in the original Tolkien started appearing. Then speculation started as to who the object of affection would be. First it was Legolas, then the field expanded abroad and far and wide. This latest version is with a dwarf. Does anybody know of any source for a romance OTHER than fandom speculation???? Tongue

sycorax82
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 6:46pm

Post #23 of 37 (747 views)
Shortcut
It's gonna be more about the triangle with Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

I firmly believe we'll see Legolas and Tauriel basically in a relationship, or a potential one, then she will show some...enthusiasm towards Kili, which will hack off Legolas and put him in his Dwarf-hating state.

glor
Rohan

Mar 9 2013, 3:23am

Post #24 of 37 (668 views)
Shortcut
Horrible thought [In reply to] Can't Post

What if Tauriel is Legolas' mother..........

Evil

Dwarf Cupcake
The Shire

Mar 9 2013, 5:50am

Post #25 of 37 (622 views)
Shortcut
I'm with You... [In reply to] Can't Post

This whole "Dwarf-Elf Romance" thing has got totally out of hand. And to think it got started by a joke. Only thing it really proves is people have to be careful what they say anymore or it gets turned into a really bad game of Telephone...Tongue

Not All those who wander are lost...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.