Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
100 signs you know you spend too much time on TORn forum...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 12:30pm

Post #26 of 83 (258 views)
Shortcut
The worst is... [In reply to] Can't Post

46) When you're already showing signs of 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, and you've only been on these boards for three months.
47) When you reread your post five times to check if you haven't made mistakes in Tolkien lore.
48) When you're so indecisive of your signature, that you spend hours thinking of a new one and keep the old one. (Similar to 18)
39) When you actually give a reason for editing your post.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards because a refusal often offends." - Terry Pratchett

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Mar 6 2013, 12:30pm)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 1:17pm

Post #27 of 83 (239 views)
Shortcut
Numbers 50-55 (I think) [In reply to] Can't Post

- You know how to pronounce Draupne

- The names Reverend and Balin make you choke up a bit

- You know the right time to glug, and do so more than twice a day

- You know which posters are married to which other posters

- Because, you know, pants

- When someone posts a rant about posts "falling off the board" in Feedback, you link to your previous replies on the topic

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

imin
Valinor

Mar 6 2013, 1:21pm

Post #28 of 83 (240 views)
Shortcut
Haha i tried that after it was recommended [In reply to] Can't Post

My face has never scrunched up so fast, lol.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 6 2013, 4:57pm

Post #29 of 83 (226 views)
Shortcut
Some more signs.... [In reply to] Can't Post

56. When there is only ever 1 new post once logging on.
57. When you re-use a joke on here in front of your friends and family.
58. When you get stalked by users via PMs.
59. When you cringe at very old posts you made years ago.
60. When you've read through the entire thread, agree with every post, realize you have nothing new to add ... and post a reply anyway!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 5:17pm

Post #30 of 83 (202 views)
Shortcut
pardon my ignorance, but what's a NfB post ? lol// [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 6 2013, 5:25pm

Post #31 of 83 (217 views)
Shortcut
Sorry! [In reply to] Can't Post

NfB is an abbreviation of News from Bree!

Smile

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 5:27pm

Post #32 of 83 (196 views)
Shortcut
59, so true... my posts a year back o___o // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Ciars
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 7:15pm

Post #33 of 83 (205 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* some more! [In reply to] Can't Post

61. When you associate fridays with fiestas.
62. When you argue with friends that a book must be good because it was recommended by someone at Torn (and they look at you in puzzlement!)
63. When you use Torn expressions in RL and wonder why no-one else knows them - mods up being an example!
64. When you imagine that avatar pictures are really the picture of the person posting!!
65. When you wish RL had admins to sort out RL trolls!!
66. When you really hope that even though you have dutifully scanned threads that you are not reposting an earlier post made by another poster and have to shuffle into feedback to ask for your post to be removed/hang your head in shame as other posters hmpff or glug!! ( fingers crossed I haven't committed 66 with these suggestions!!)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Mar 6 2013, 7:43pm

Post #34 of 83 (196 views)
Shortcut
I had a strange sense of deja vu whilst reading some of these points [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, spend far too much time on here, even though I don't always make that many posts I still have a good nose at everyone else's topics!

But then...you have to love this forum, really. No other site has so many devoted Tolkien fans, people like you and me, sharing and discussing ideas all hours of the day (and night depending on where you live). Plus 99.999999% of them appear to be genuinely nice and friendly people.

So...what's not to like?

Laugh

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 6 2013, 8:53pm

Post #35 of 83 (202 views)
Shortcut
67. Thorin's Hair [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew I spent too much time here when I was telling Mr. the Green about the discussions on Thorin's hair...then HE starts going on about Thorin's hair and how good-looking he is!!

I'm still trying to decide if this is a good or bad thing!?

Blush

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 7 2013, 1:05am

Post #36 of 83 (181 views)
Shortcut
Number 1. happens to me all the time. [In reply to] Can't Post

And there are a lot of magpies in the mountains near here. This silly photo showed up on Rocky Mountain National Park's facebook page recently: magpie and elk

6. also. I've had dreams about those little gold rings at the top of the page.

And I want to know how you pronounce "//". Because I'd love to do that in real life.

My daughter sees me at the computer and says, "What's the haps on TORn?" :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Mar 7 2013, 1:12am)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 1:34am

Post #37 of 83 (167 views)
Shortcut
I think they represent two tongue clicks [In reply to] Can't Post

Though two glottal stops might be more appropriate.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 1:35am

Post #38 of 83 (166 views)
Shortcut
68. When you wrack your brain [In reply to] Can't Post

trying to come up with another example so you can contribute to this thread before everybody else comes up with 100 because you want to share in the absolute senseless silliness of it all.

Bingo!

Moahunter
Rohan

Mar 7 2013, 5:52am

Post #39 of 83 (157 views)
Shortcut
# 1 should be when you have to apply for unemployment benefit...... [In reply to] Can't Post

because your boss has spotted what you are really doing at work.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 7:05am

Post #40 of 83 (150 views)
Shortcut
Well congratulations on your choice of signature :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Pratchett anyway, but that quote is especially apt. Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 7 2013, 7:40am

Post #41 of 83 (156 views)
Shortcut
Ha. [In reply to] Can't Post

1(oh, boy, do I ever, in spades),
12 (do people think of me when they read or hear the term "conspiracy theory"? don't whether to Laugh or Blush)
--let's see: 15, 17, 21 (see thread aboveUnsureUnsure), 26 (yep, even my "essays" are crappy sometimes), 39,47,59 (heh heh), 62, 65...

reading this whole thread, and catching up on the news at TORn, considering what has just happened, I feel weird and detatched from it all....I am laughing and crying at the same time....

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 7 2013, 11:56am

Post #42 of 83 (140 views)
Shortcut
#69 Inexplicably everyone around you keeps announcing what TIME it is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha!

This one has been happening to me alot lately

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 7 2013, 1:29pm

Post #43 of 83 (133 views)
Shortcut
It's my favourite Pratchett quote [In reply to] Can't Post

I meeped when I read it.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards because a refusal often offends." - Terry Pratchett

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 7 2013, 1:32pm

Post #44 of 83 (131 views)
Shortcut
I am so guilty of #60 it's not even funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 7 2013, 4:06pm

Post #45 of 83 (126 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I am very proud of the fact that I actually managed to pronounce Draupne's name correctly. She & Eledhwen visited me once and she coached us all, but I was the only one who could do it.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 8:30pm

Post #46 of 83 (118 views)
Shortcut
#Dying Breath [In reply to] Can't Post

Your last words are, "I wish I spent more time on the forums."

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 8:32pm

Post #47 of 83 (123 views)
Shortcut
bwaa haaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

...and now I have to go let the dogs out...............

Go outside and play...

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 9:15pm

Post #48 of 83 (119 views)
Shortcut
The list so far: [In reply to] Can't Post

1.Whenever you see a magpie in real life, you can't help but think of Magpie.
2. Wait ... there is no real life. TORn has taken over your life.
3. When the forum is the first and last webpages you visit each day.
4. When your other half has come to accept that there are 9000 other people in your relationship.
5. When you type more words here in the last 24 hours, than on paper in the last month.
6. When you have dreams involving the forum and/or its users.
7. When you prefer people to call you by your username, rather than your real name.
8. When you can't help but check whether a posted picture incurs the TORn guidelines.
9. When you mess up on exam because you thought waiting for a vlog was more important than revising.
10.When your colleagues ask if you're "on that site again?"
11.When a NfB post is misplaced, you chuckle.
12. When other TORn users start to associate you with something.
13. When you respond to threads like this.
14. When your browser homepage is set to the forum.
15. When 101 new posts gets you excited when you log on.
16. After getting excited by 101 new posts, you realise they all involve Thorin's sexiness, and therefore curse those fangirls.
17. When you see/hear something in real life, and think [insert TORn user] would like this.
18. When you spend hours trying to find a new avatar, only to keep the one you already have.
19. When you make your own thread and refresh every 10 seconds to check if anyone has replied.
20. And ... when you get jealous about another users post/thread/argument, because it's better thought out than yours.
21. When you wish your real life had a 10-minute edit window
22. When you finish a real life conversation with "//".
23. When you learn the difference between GMT and every other timezone, in order to work out when other users are likely to wake up.
24. When, in conversation, you refer to so many members as friends even though you've never met them in person and often know very little of importance about them.
25. When 98% of your unread email messages are reply notifications from the forum.
26. When 97% of these notifications are replies from me!
27. When you spend the last hour coming up with 27 signs you know you spend too much time on the forum.
28. When the only reason you have a Photobucket account is to post photos on TORn.
29. When your spouse or S.O. sees with on the computer, they say things like "I'm cooking the cat for dinner" or "I totalled your car" just because they KNOW you aren't paying any attention at all.
30. When you interrupt your friends' conversations to ask them about their favorite sayings, thanks to that addictive game Sir Dennis has posted.
31. When you excitedly scan every new thread for the word VBLOG and are crestfallen when, day after day, you don't see it.
32. When an email notification goes on your phone, your family say " Huh, it's that TORN lot again" !!!
33. When you start to wonder just how good a cover your TORN name is for your embarrassing fangirldom!!!
34. When someone posts a thread that reaches Trolldom...and gets more "views" than any of the better well-thought out threads!
35. When you try to combine Facebook and TORn...and are frustrated you can't "like" people's posts!
36. When You Start Guilty Threads About The Top X Signs You Spend Too Much Time....
37. When your nickname is often shortened to a nickname.
38. Inadvertently causing offence can bother you for days...
39. When you won't stop clicking until every thread is green and un-bolded.
40. When you remember an obscure piece of information a month after you saw it and use it to speculate on a Movies: Hobbit topic.
41. When you try out eating apples with salt.
42. When you get a reference to an old off topic thread.
43. When you hide that you're online so no-one can see how long you've been lurking and hanging out.
44. When you sometimes feel like you know more things (important and trivial) about TORN friends than you do about your "real world" friends.
45. When a local warehouse unit has the name "TORN", you wish it was the real HQ of TORn.
46. When you're already showing signs of 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, and you've only been on these boards for three months.
47. When you reread your post five times to check if you haven't made mistakes in Tolkien lore.
48. When you're so indecisive of your signature, that you spend hours thinking of a new one and keep the old one. (Similar to 18)
49. When you actually give a reason for editing your post.
50. You know how to pronounce Draupne
51. When the names Reverend and Balin make you choke up a bit
52. When you know the right time to glug, and do so more than twice a day
53. When you know which posters are married to which other posters
54. Because, you know, pants
55. When someone posts a rant about posts "falling off the board" in Feedback, you link to your previous replies on the topic.
56. When there is only ever 1 new post once logging on.
57. When you re-use a joke on here in front of your friends and family.
58. When you get stalked by users via PMs.
59. When you cringe at very old posts you made years ago.
60. When you've read through the entire thread, agree with every post, realize you have nothing new to add ... and post a reply anyway!
61. When you associate fridays with fiestas.
62. When you argue with friends that a book must be good because it was recommended by someone at Torn (and they look at you in puzzlement!)
63. When you use Torn expressions in RL and wonder why no-one else knows them - mods up being an example!
64. When you imagine that avatar pictures are really the picture of the person posting!!
65. When you wish RL had admins to sort out RL trolls!!
66. When you really hope that even though you have dutifully scanned threads that you are not reposting an earlier post made by another poster and have to shuffle into feedback to ask for your post to be removed/hang your head in shame as other posters hmpff or glug!!
67. I knew I spent too much time here when I was telling Mr. the Green about the discussions on Thorin's hair...then HE starts going on about Thorin's hair and how good-looking he is!!
68. When you wrack your brain trying to come up with another example so you can contribute to this thread before everybody else comes up with 100 because you want to share in the absolute senseless silliness of it all.
69. When you have to apply for unemployment benefit because your boss has spotted what you are really doing at work.
70. Inexplicably everyone around you keeps announcing what TIME it is....
71. When your last words are, "I wish I spent more time on the forums."

These are all hilarious! Keep them coming. Cool

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 9:19pm

Post #49 of 83 (103 views)
Shortcut
72. When you know to avoid a subject title with "pink swimsuit" in ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 9:51pm

Post #50 of 83 (95 views)
Shortcut
Impressive! [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a feedback subthread about it one time (I think that's where it was) so I know "in theory", though I've never been tested on it.

Notta

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.