Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Has Mr. Jackson shown any signs of contrition?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 7 2013, 12:27am

Post #101 of 240 (533 views)
Shortcut
PJ committed [In reply to] Can't Post

a crime against Tolkien, and that IS a sin. actually.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 7 2013, 12:31am

Post #102 of 240 (491 views)
Shortcut
I think LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

will stand the test of time better than AUJ

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Mar 7 2013, 12:37am)

glor
Rohan

Mar 7 2013, 12:34am

Post #103 of 240 (482 views)
Shortcut
The world has changed [In reply to] Can't Post

Since 2003 or, rather the speed and bandwith of the internet has.

Many people never pay to go to the cinema nor do they pay for their dvds/blu-rays, they simply download and stream to their Tvs/play straight from a hard disk in 2013 and that's happening on a global scale.

Ticket prices after inflation are meaningless if one is considering the entire history of cinema and using it to judge the biggest films of all time, since the emergence of home video in the 1980s piracy has impacted the world of film in a way it never could for Gone with the Wind or the original 1977 Star Wars.

So yes inflation, piracy, the internet, and recessions are all factors that have to be taken into account, I just wonder if some academic economist has worked out a formula that takes all those things into account (rather them than meLaugh).

I think it's remarkable that any film can make a billion dollars at the box office when, most of the biggest markets for english language films could wait a week and download and watch for free, on a large flat screen with a basic surround sound system.

That's the big difference between 2003 and ROTK and 2012 and AUJ, the ability to download withou spending a dime.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 7 2013, 12:36am

Post #104 of 240 (485 views)
Shortcut
I totally disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR was a work of genius. AUJ is a flaccid video game.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 1:09am

Post #105 of 240 (458 views)
Shortcut
Half is quite good [In reply to] Can't Post

other half is as you say a flacid video game...with a few good moments peppered here and there...

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 1:16am

Post #106 of 240 (459 views)
Shortcut
Close [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...You dont take the Mona Lisa and paint a moustache on because you think she needs 'modernizing'.

Even modern women don't want a moustache. It would instead be multiple self-mutilating piercings and she would be painted more like The Scream to externalize her repressed rage at the male machine. That would be modern. But you were close.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 1:47am

Post #107 of 240 (455 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

How true. And yes, let's keep the flesh comments to a minimum. I have things to get done around the house and they might not get done if we start going off track. Can't have that.

Bilbo. Back to Bilbo. Bilbo was already very well developed in the story itself. We see the story through Bilbo's eyes (he is the author after all) and we know who he is. But honestly, the book Thorin needed to be more developed for the screen for exactly the reason you indicate. The payoff will be in films 2 and 3 and especially in film 3. We have to believe in the character and emotionally connect with him. We have to believe in the friendship developed between the two as the story goes.

This was the right thing to do and yes, I would pay money to sit and watch Ian McKellan read the back of a cereal box. But I don't think it would be a large commercial success because it would be you, me and a few others in the audience.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 7 2013, 1:51am

Post #108 of 240 (440 views)
Shortcut
Oh you just made me hoot out loud! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

This was the right thing to do and yes, I would pay money to sit and watch Ian McKellan read the back of a cereal box. But I don't think it would be a large commercial success because it would be you, me and a few others in the audience.

So would I!!!!! especially in the grey robes!

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 7 2013, 2:37am

Post #109 of 240 (471 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

The pieces are starting to come together.
I understand now

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 2:54am

Post #110 of 240 (434 views)
Shortcut
I have to say I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the Baggend part was well done and kept the feel of the book overall. Where the film went downhill for me was all the OTT video game style nonsense ( I hated Azog Mad and the whole story line around him) and made up story lines that really IMO had nothing to do with the Hobbit. I realize somethings need to be changed to work on film but the changes that we got were not those type of changes. They were Peter Jackson choosing spectacle over story. Which to me was a sad thing. I think if the they had stuck to what Tolkien gave them instead of wanting to make up as much as they could it would have worked SO much better.

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 7 2013, 5:26am

Post #111 of 240 (436 views)
Shortcut
Second that [In reply to] Can't Post

so....double Wow.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 7 2013, 5:55am

Post #112 of 240 (398 views)
Shortcut
Yep, exactly right IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost wish the whole thing was garbage so I wouldn't have such mixed feelings about it. The same phenomena occurs each time I watch the film, and this is my line of thinking:

Prologue: This is different than what I imagined, but wow it's actually pretty great...lots of CGI though. Is Thrors beard real?
Good Morning Conversation: This is awesome! On par with the quality expected from LOTR but with some added whimsy!
Unexpected Party: This is also awesome! Why don't I like this movie very much? Ori burps...oh that's one of the reasons
East Gate Flashback: This is great...but...wait...ughhh...there's Azog. It's not that bad though, still a good film so far!
Radagast: Now it's all coming back to me...this is nonsense.
Trolls: Mehhh, it was close to redeeming itself again
Everything after until Riddles in The Dark: Ok, now I remember why I wasn't impressed with this movie at all. Where's Bilbo? What was up with all that teribble CGI and corny chase scenes?

Then Riddles comes and I finally feel like I'm watching a film by the same person who directed LOTR...more nonsense...beautiful shots of the eagles...Smaugs eye is awesome!

I've come to the conclusion that I keep watching the film because Riddles, and the very last shot of the film leaves a good taste in my mouth. I find myself pretty much pushing the middle of the film out of my memory, involuntarily I might add simply because my brain likes to remember the good things.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 7 2013, 7:26am

Post #113 of 240 (405 views)
Shortcut
Wow... this thread got quite extreme in some aspects. [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 7:28am

Post #114 of 240 (380 views)
Shortcut
Exactly this. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 7:31am

Post #115 of 240 (402 views)
Shortcut
I think we all agree on the parts that veer between meh! and oh so wrong... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I know the LotR had its dire moments, too...I just don't remember there being so many (or if there were, it was as many as AUJ but spread over 3 films, not all in the first!)

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

tolktolk
Lorien

Mar 7 2013, 8:30am

Post #116 of 240 (374 views)
Shortcut
Great summation [In reply to] Can't Post

You have summed up exactly how I felt watching the film, and why I liked it better second time around - I knew how long all the boring scene 88 stuff and the Azog v Thorin nonsense would last and when to look out for the good parts, especially Riddles in the Dark which really does seem to be part of a different, more mature film. I also loved the Eagles and the final short of Smaug, even with the anger hug in between ..!

And I also hated Ori's burp!

I am looking forward to seeing The Hobbit on DVD, because I can fast forward and just enjoy the highlights.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 8:33am

Post #117 of 240 (372 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

You two can, I think, turn *any* thread into a discussion of the *ahem* "finer" points of the movie. Well done! Wink

Just had to stick my hand up to say I'd be with you in that audience listening to Sir Ian read a cereal box. I do that myself in the mornings when I'm bored eating breakfast, and it would be far more interesting listening to Sir Ian read it.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 7 2013, 9:02am

Post #118 of 240 (386 views)
Shortcut
Well, we've already heard him read how to change a flat tire... [In reply to] Can't Post

For any who haven't, click here.

And I'm sure cereal boxes would be just as good.Cool

Silverlode

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 9:07am

Post #119 of 240 (385 views)
Shortcut
Does that mean ... [In reply to] Can't Post

anyone that enjoys the film is going to hell? Blimey, I better get repenting. Laugh

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 7 2013, 9:12am

Post #120 of 240 (372 views)
Shortcut
PJ's not the messiah... [In reply to] Can't Post

he's just a very naughty boy! WinkLaugh

*sorry couldn't resist*

AngelicEvil

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 7 2013, 10:07am

Post #121 of 240 (359 views)
Shortcut
The worst? [In reply to] Can't Post

While I agree that PJ was quite aware of what the reception by critics might be (at least with HFR and the less dramatical story). But I think it could have been a lot worse. A very clear majority still liked it.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 7 2013, 10:16am

Post #122 of 240 (377 views)
Shortcut
I do not see much evidence for this... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but anyway - what I would like to ask you, do YOU think he should show signs of contrition? I mean, I know by now that you obviously cannot really stand the movie, but I would be interested in whether you would say that this adaptation is just not your cup of tea or if you think that it is so bad that PJ should apologize? Because one thing remains, of course, and that is that the overall verdict of the audience is positive... plus we can assume that the studio's expectations have been met. So many might say - mission of the director accomplished (whether one dislikes or likes the final outcome is on a different page, of course).

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 7 2013, 10:56am

Post #123 of 240 (364 views)
Shortcut
That is just your opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely disagree as does everyone I've spoken to about it (old and young). Yes, LOTR was a work of genius, but ROTK and TTT in particular contained many flaws. In my opinion AUJ IS a work of genius.

I've never seen a video game, so cannot make comparisons between the ME films and such games.

You are quite entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. It is all a matter of taste.

In Reply To
LOTR was a work of genius. AUJ is a flaccid video game.

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 7 2013, 12:18pm

Post #124 of 240 (354 views)
Shortcut
Tee Hee! [In reply to] Can't Post

Made me laugh anyway!! "Always look on the bright side of life" *whistles*

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 7 2013, 12:43pm

Post #125 of 240 (344 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same way about Riddles [In reply to] Can't Post

and thats why AUJ could have been as amazing as FOTR. Bits of it feel like PJ of yore.
Like flashes from Smaug's eye, you see that hidden fire, you desperately want to gaze into its depths even if it burns your mind to behold it. (LOTR burnt itself on my imagination, even when I sleep I see it)
Instead I got a Urine Taking of epic proportions

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.