Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
James Franco and Stephen Colbert's Tolkien showdown

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 6 2013, 10:24am

Post #1 of 15 (674 views)
Shortcut
James Franco and Stephen Colbert's Tolkien showdown Can't Post

Stephen Colbert Stephen Colbert boasts some seriously impressive knowledge of Tolkien trivia. In a segment on The Colbert Report last night, actor James Franco challeneged Colbert to name just two of the Valar. Colbert responded by rattling off Varda, Manwe, Aule, Orome and a few others -- and their domains -- without breaking sweat.

I reckon he could give our Tolkien trivia-master Elrond a run for his money.

Anyway, here are some links to the segment. Enjoy!

[View on Vulture.com] | [View on Colbert Nation]

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 7 2013, 8:30pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 6 2013, 5:55pm

Post #2 of 15 (501 views)
Shortcut
Pure gold [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 6 2013, 6:04pm

Post #3 of 15 (496 views)
Shortcut
Smoked like a ham indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bravo!

After so many years of Tolkien dearth, I will never tire of seeing it or hearing it wherever I can!

Congrats, if you are lurking, Mr. Colbert!

imin
Valinor

Mar 6 2013, 6:37pm

Post #4 of 15 (488 views)
Shortcut
That is brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

He is my favourite host now! Does anyone know how well James did to any questions?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 6 2013, 6:43pm

Post #5 of 15 (475 views)
Shortcut
*That* was wicked cool. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 7:34pm

Post #6 of 15 (489 views)
Shortcut
" ...or do you want his wife, Varda called Elbereth by the Elves, who kindled the stars?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Stephen, you're too much! Our Tolkien poster boy. Laugh

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 7:39pm

Post #7 of 15 (468 views)
Shortcut
NAILED it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 6 2013, 8:23pm

Post #8 of 15 (469 views)
Shortcut
He did have a week devoted to The Hobbit in December [In reply to] Can't Post

He couldn't have done that without knowing something about the stories. He cracks me up.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 10:48pm

Post #9 of 15 (457 views)
Shortcut
priceless [In reply to] Can't Post

''you come into MY house!!" I would have said the same thing lol does anyone have a link to their first showdown? I can't seem to find it

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 12:41am

Post #10 of 15 (450 views)
Shortcut
What A Geek! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I mean that in the most sincerely profoundly praising way! The first time I heard about Colbert's fandom was when Elijah Wood was on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart back in 2001 when Colbert was a writer there.

I watched for his cameo in The Hobbit... but no luck. *rubs hands together* Which means the hunt is on!

Colbet needs to come to our next TWO Oscar Parties. He really should. I think he'd have fun ;)

Wonderful!

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Nira
Lorien

Mar 7 2013, 5:38am

Post #11 of 15 (432 views)
Shortcut
Showdown #1 [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.colbertnation.com/...1/james-franco-pt--2

I love it!

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 6:57am

Post #12 of 15 (431 views)
Shortcut
Did Franco really believe that would stump Colbert?! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

squire
Valinor

Mar 8 2013, 3:32am

Post #13 of 15 (413 views)
Shortcut
That was fine [In reply to] Can't Post

Authentic geekdom, a rare sight on national TV. Could any of us have done better, on camera and under the hot lights? I think not.

Although, since he brought the subject up, I would like to have seen what Franco could do against return fire.

That matches my favorite-so-far Colbert moment, when Obama ordered the general to shave Stephen's head.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 9 2013, 1:46pm

Post #14 of 15 (356 views)
Shortcut
And that was the perfect ending [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved how he paused for a moment before starting, and then revved up as he kept naming them, and then added that flourish of an ending with Elbereth. Brilliant!

acheron
Gondor

Mar 9 2013, 6:08pm

Post #15 of 15 (353 views)
Shortcut
bam! That is fantastic. // [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.