Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
ARGHH! May 1st!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2013, 8:36pm

Post #26 of 52 (179 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but [In reply to] Can't Post

those players will work in the US, not New Zealand. It's the 120/240 volts problem, plus the plugs are a different shape. You can overcome the plug shape problem with an adapter but that doesn't matter: if you then plug your appliance in, it blows up (I speak from experience). Our options here tend to be a lot more limited than what's in the US, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn we don't get region-free Blu-ray players while most of the rest of the world does. Maybe things have changed since we were shopping 18 months ago (certainly possible), but we were assured by multiple sales people in multiple stores that region-free was not an option for Blu-ray players.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 8:37pm

Post #27 of 52 (183 views)
Shortcut
There are also demonstrations on Youtube [In reply to] Can't Post

on how to make various dvd and blu-ray players region free. I've never done this, but it doesn't look too difficult if you're the least bit handy.

imin
Valinor

Mar 6 2013, 8:45pm

Post #28 of 52 (174 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I was also only joking about England. For me i think anywhere can be M-e but you would think if the films are going to be released at different times (i can't see why that happens in this day and age) then i think UK and NZ should get it first. Preferably all at once all over the world - it would surely help combat piracy to a certain extent as well?

kiwifan
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 9:50pm

Post #29 of 52 (173 views)
Shortcut
In countries where subtitles are necessary it might make sense [In reply to] Can't Post

to release the DVDs later, in order to get all that stuff straightened out. Here in Germany, amazon.de still advertises the DVD of TH AUJ as being in English, French, and German, with French and Dutch subtitles which doesn't make sense for the release in an area of roughly 100 million German-speaking people (Germany, Austria, parts of Switzerland). I've been exchanging emails with Warner Bros. and they claim we'll get subtitles in German and English for the hearing-impaired but they still can't be sure --- and that was seven weeks before the release date --- which, incidentally, for Germany is April 19th --- almost as late as NZ! And they also say we'll get a digital copy with the DVD while amazon.de knows nothing about that, it is truly ridiculous. I've preordered mine but told them that if they send me a DVD with no English or German subtitles but French and Dutch, I'll send it back.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 6 2013, 9:57pm

Post #30 of 52 (163 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear [In reply to] Can't Post

That's damned irritating for you. Didn't know you had the voltage issue too, the adapter won't fix that, as you say.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 10:12pm

Post #31 of 52 (156 views)
Shortcut
Oh tha'ts great [In reply to] Can't Post

I think i'm going to get one.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

lurtz2010
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 11:12pm

Post #32 of 52 (156 views)
Shortcut
where did you see it was may 1st? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just this morning I was ringing places to confirm when it was coming out and no one seemed to know which I found strange since I was thinking it would be march 19th. I was just about to order a 3d bluray player to before I came on here and saw this but I suppose that can wait now, dam... I'm just going to download it, what a waste.

tripecac
Rivendell

Mar 7 2013, 12:31am

Post #33 of 52 (139 views)
Shortcut
Amazon [In reply to] Can't Post

You can just order the blu-ray/DVD package from Amazon (US or UK). The blu-rays are supposed to be region-free, so it doesn't matter what player we have for that.

As for the DVDs, well, you have some options:

1) cross your fingers and hope they work on your DVD player (all of my old US-bought DVDs work fine on my NZ player)
2) rip them to your PC and then re-burn in a NZ-friendly format
3) hack your DVD player to make it region-free
4) buy a region-free DVD player (often expensive)
5) buy a cheap (and light) DVD player from the US (or UK or wherever you bought the BluRay/DVD set)
6) watch the DVDs on your computer
7) burn the digital version (downloaded via ultraviolet) to DVD
8) copy the digital version (downloaded via ultraviolet) to USB and play that on your TV

Options abound.

You definitely don't have to wait until May!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 12:45am

Post #34 of 52 (137 views)
Shortcut
On the stuff.co.nz website. [In reply to] Can't Post

Right here.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...obbit-film-announced

Of course, Stuff can't be entirely trusted; I've known them to take the US's National Enquirer seriously and write "real" news stories based on it. (For those who aren't familiar with it, the National Enquirer is, well, a joke: Elvis sightings and alien babies and six-headed cows with no legs, sorts of things.) But this release date is from Warner Bros., so I'm guessing it's legitimate.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 7 2013, 12:58am

Post #35 of 52 (131 views)
Shortcut
Yep it was :( [In reply to] Can't Post

They like to have at least one major blockbuster open on Boxing Day over here. Sucks big time for the fans though Frown

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 7 2013, 1:03am

Post #36 of 52 (136 views)
Shortcut
Heard late last night [In reply to] Can't Post

that we're getting it on May 1st too.

Nope your release for AUJ was earlier than us, so you should be ok.

There was legislation brought in here several years ago, which made it illegal to sell region-locked devices, so all of our DVD/Blu-ray players have to be region free. Great for us, but the distributors were screaming foul Wink

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 7 2013, 1:06am

Post #37 of 52 (137 views)
Shortcut
What?!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

All of the LOTR DVDs came out at the same time in NZ, US, UK, Oz etc - why on earth is it different for The Hobbit???

(My anxiety is directly proportional to my overuse of punctuation.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 7 2013, 1:07am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 2:11am

Post #38 of 52 (124 views)
Shortcut
I honestly don't get it [In reply to] Can't Post

And this gives me real concerns. There's no excuse for it. This is part of marketing the films. They should have been all over this. This should not be happening.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 2:48am

Post #39 of 52 (116 views)
Shortcut
If you're up north. [In reply to] Can't Post

At this rate, those of us down under, and down-further-under-and-a-little-to-the-right, are going to cross our fingers for an EE release before Easter 2014.

*stillgrumbling*

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 2:54am

Post #40 of 52 (121 views)
Shortcut
I'll see your two exclamation and two question marks and raise you a couple more. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good question -- why on (Middle-)earth are the release dates staggered like this? Seems like this only encourages piracy and other things the studios don't want. (I still don't understand why we have to have regions on DVDs and players.) I could understand a delay for release in countries that don't speak English; perfectly conceivable that it would take extra time to get the subtitles right, or (Eru forbid) dub them if that's what they decide to do. But I don't get this delay, and somehow it seems extra unfair since this is where the movies were filmed.

Anyways, I ordered mine via Amazon last night amidst a lot of grumbling, which is likely what a lot of anxious fans will do -- and exactly what I suspect the distributors don't want to happen. But how could they expect otherwise?

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 7 2013, 4:06am

Post #41 of 52 (109 views)
Shortcut
Ouch [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, that would be a pain if that happens. Unsure

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 5:12am

Post #42 of 52 (113 views)
Shortcut
I don't understand it at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't. Well I felt the same way about the release of the film also. Why on earth would you stagger it that much? I get staggering it but it seems like waiting like they did to release the film over there in Australia just encouraged piracy. Dumb. And yeah the DVD really makes no sense.

Like I've said I have been questioning WB's marketing for some time. Just small things here and there. It just seems like they don't totally have their act together.

Moahunter
Rohan

Mar 7 2013, 5:28am

Post #43 of 52 (111 views)
Shortcut
May 1st, June 1st, July 1st......... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'll survive until the EE.
Chances are the world won't come to an end if I don't buy it for some after its release.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 5:31am

Post #44 of 52 (102 views)
Shortcut
I will go ahead and get it for now [In reply to] Can't Post

But yeah if i were where Ro is, I would have to consider waiting. I also hope we get some kind of indication exactly what is on the EE. Like others have said I am assuming it's like it has been in the past with tons of extra stuff. WB though is starting to concern me with some of their moves. We shall see.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 9:14am

Post #45 of 52 (88 views)
Shortcut
I can't imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

Doing the subtitles takes too much time, especially if they've already been subtitled for foreign cinema releases?

On the note of subtitles, and incredibly off topic - in the UK, subtitles seem to be everywhere on TV as soon as someone has a slight accent!

imin
Valinor

Mar 7 2013, 3:07pm

Post #46 of 52 (75 views)
Shortcut
That is for the benefit [In reply to] Can't Post

of snobbish Southerners who think everyone should speak with RP. Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 3:38pm

Post #47 of 52 (72 views)
Shortcut
Don't blame me! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all those other lazy southerners that can't be bothered to listen properly. Wink The subtitles annoy me.

imin
Valinor

Mar 7 2013, 4:05pm

Post #48 of 52 (70 views)
Shortcut
I forgot you are a Southerner haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah it's all the other ones :P

The subtitles don't bother me too much other than i can't help but read them when there - most the time, in fact nearly all the time i don't feel they are needed but the programmers like to add them in so as to make the show feel more important than it really is or something.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 7:56pm

Post #49 of 52 (66 views)
Shortcut
wow, I never thought of that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have Deaf friends, and they always had to wait til films came out on DVD to watch it with subtitles. I often use the subtitle mode to catch dialog I might have missed. Also, with foreign films (like Miyasaki's excellent animation, or stuff like Crouching Tiger, or Seven Samurai) my friends and I watch them in the original language with subtitles: that gives you the original voices, as well as the real dialog. We discovered in The Secret Life of Arrietty, that in English, you miss a lot of subtlety in dialog in certain scenes.

That would be so annoying not to have subtitles in your native language.

And I would want to hear any number of those voices (think: Richard Armitage, who sings) in their original form, with subtitles, not a voiceover.

Go outside and play...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 7 2013, 10:17pm

Post #50 of 52 (54 views)
Shortcut
Maybe production times [In reply to] Can't Post

of the discs, were longer than anticipated due to the changes to film 1? Or maybe it has to do with the time it takes to reduce a higher density original to a print that will fit on BR and/or DVD? Maybe they fill orders by region?Didn't Australia have to wait longer for the film's theatrical release? Maybe it's NZ's turn this time?

Or perhaps it has something to do with what else is being released by region?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.