Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The music of my life: RIP Alvin Lee 1944-2013 (and general 'whatcha been listening to' ... should people choose)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 1:07am

Post #1 of 10 (114 views)
Shortcut
The music of my life: RIP Alvin Lee 1944-2013 (and general 'whatcha been listening to' ... should people choose) Can't Post

Wed Mar 6, 2013 4:58pm EST
(Reuters) - British blues-rock guitarist Alvin Lee, who was best known for his performance with rock band Ten Years After at Woodstock in 1969, died on Wednesday at age 68, his family said.

"With great sadness we have to announce that Alvin unexpectedly passed away early this morning after unforeseen complications following a routine surgical procedure," the family said in a statement on the singer's official website.

Reuters

I was at the perfect age to fall in love with Woodstock - the event, the musicians, and the concept. A few years back I watched Taking Woodstock

A few months later, I decided to watch Woodstock (the movie) again for the first time since I'd seen it in 1970 in the drive-in movie theater. My mother had to take me and my friends in her red Mustang because we were underage and it was rated R for the nudity and drug use.

I unwittingly sent for the director's cut which wasn't getting great reviews and I didn't like. But I said this:

But as for the music, boy did I love a lot of that. Especially Ten Years After and Joe Cocker. Not only did I love the music - I think the performers gave it their all. You have to wonder how they were able to walk after the energy and emotion they poured into their performances. I know that current popular music performances take energy - they do love to dance around, don't they? - but it's a different kind of energy that is all about show and little about music. This stuff (with some exceptions) was all about the music.

(The exceptions kind of stood out : Sha Na Na... kitschy stuff that was fun but not in the same vein as other performers and The Who. Whoah... what rock stars they were. I thought to myself, if Roger Daltrey lasso-throws and catches that microphone one more time I'm going to throw something at him. I love The Who's music but they were shallow approaching the music as compared to Ten Years After.)

So, here's to you Alvin. They don't make musicians like you anymore.

Watch Ten Years After at Woodstock

To morph this into a general 'watcha been listening to,' I'll remark about catching Alabama Shakes on Saturday Night Live. Now, I know next to nothing about current music. I hear names.. but I don't know any of their music. And I knew nothing about Alabama Shakes. But I sure sat up and paid notice when they started to play. There's something about this music that reminds me of what I loved about bands like Ten Years After, although I don't think lots of people would group the two together.

Watch Alabama Shakes sing "Hold On" on Saturday Night Live

And if the music make me sit up and take notice, I couldn't take my eyes off the lead singer, Brittney.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 1:48am

Post #2 of 10 (78 views)
Shortcut
RIP to him :). Really nice listening to them, thanks :) [In reply to] Can't Post

had never heard of Ten Years After, and the video linked of them in Woodstock is pretty amazing indeed Smile. Dazzling even. It feels so great to watch and hear their in-tune passion.
Great music, and great perfomance indeed.
...I love The Who's stage-performances though ;).. IMO that's just how they expressed themselves, microphone lasso-ing included Tongue, never did anything as bluesy as this too, so it's just a different feel really.

As for Alabama Shakes, cheers for that too, was really nice, loved the layering and power of it :). I, like you, have basically -no- clue about modern music either (despite me being of this current adolescent generation Wink)... especially if it's mainstream.. but even lesser known bands too!

I've been listening to a mixture of:
Romantic era classical music by the composer Boris Glazunov,
Rhapsodies in Rock and the Wells Rag by pianists and composers Robert Wells and Anders Berglund (*very* fun to listen to Cool)(recommended by a Finnish close friend of mine),
Some more psychedelic stuff with Oxric Tentacles,
Finally, some from my favourite band, good ol' Rush: Between the Wheels (1984, one of my favourite songs *ever*)

SmileCool

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Mar 7 2013, 1:54am)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 2:09am

Post #3 of 10 (78 views)
Shortcut
Oh oh, Dr. Feelgood. They put great power and emotion in their live performances too (and it's bluesy (well, the original R&B )): [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this might be up your alley Magpie hehe, a live set of .. 4 songs I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzF0AETdRF8

They put so much energy into things. Wilko Johnson the guitarist just -couldn't- stop moving when playing live Laugh... he just loved to move like a madman, jerky movements this way and that haha, his movement on stage is nothing less than captivating!

ps. Oh, sorry if it doesn't turn out to be 'up your alley' hehehe

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Mar 7 2013, 2:16am)

Morthoron
Gondor

Mar 7 2013, 3:22am

Post #4 of 10 (72 views)
Shortcut
Sighs... [In reply to] Can't Post

Another great rock-and-roller gone. Another icon from my youth.

Here's one of the greatest live blues jams ever recorded, "Help Me" (play at maximum volume):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjxe7l86d8

And of course, Ten Years After's big hit "I'd Love to Change the World":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjpNqfKUtfw

Gone but not forgotten.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 4:24am

Post #5 of 10 (55 views)
Shortcut
That was enjoyable! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 4:37am

Post #6 of 10 (57 views)
Shortcut
listening now... [In reply to] Can't Post

good stuff.

Did I ever tell you I visited your blog and was washed with nostalgia over all the album covers? I entertained, more than once, the thought of trying to collect image files of all the albums I've owned over the years. I kind of miss playing records.

From your last blog post, I had four of those albums but I saw Passion Play live in concert so maybe that can count for something. And I had both versions of Tommy. The one you show (the original) and the 1972 orchestral version.

And I recognize a few names from the post on blues songs from this album I used to have:
http://www.discogs.com/...lues/release/3723550

Morthoron
Gondor

Mar 7 2013, 4:47am

Post #7 of 10 (55 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for stopping by! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're always welcome!

Great blues album you have there. Victoria Spivey and Mamie Smith are both under-appreciated early blues singers.

I still have all my albums (in huge, heavy boxes, untouched since the advent of CDs). I had once entertained the idea of using the album covers as a wall covering - one whole wall. I thought it was a great idea...
My wife, however, did not. Frown

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 4:59am

Post #8 of 10 (65 views)
Shortcut
I've gotten rid of most of mine [In reply to] Can't Post

I held onto maybe 3 or 4 dozen I can't bear to part with. I told my son, once, he could have what he wanted from the collection since he bought himself a record player (although it's not hooked up). But I'm not sure he would appreciate my collection. I love the Tommy albums and Last Days of the Fillmore and Woodstock ... all purchased back in the days of their release.

But, I'm pretty sure I don't have "Introducing the Beatles" which might have been my first album ever. For a collector of things, I can easily part with things when the mood hits me.

You need a man cave to decorate. :-)

Morthoron
Gondor

Mar 7 2013, 5:27am

Post #9 of 10 (65 views)
Shortcut
I have hundreds of albums, and even more CDs... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But, I'm pretty sure I don't have "Introducing the Beatles" which might have been my first album ever. For a collector of things, I can easily part with things when the mood hits me.

You need a man cave to decorate. :-)

The rarest album I have is a 1964 compilation from Vee-Jay Records titled "Jolly What!" One half of the album is The Beatles and the other is Frank Ifield (yes, Frank Ifield). With its original cover, only about 100 copies were pressed. A pristine copy, still in its plastic seal, sold in the 1990s for $22,000. Mine isn't pristine, but none of the Frank Ifield songs have ever been listened to. Wink

As far as the man cave, I opted for a library. There are so many book shelves, you can't hang anything on the walls.

the 13th warrior
The Shire

Dec 27 2014, 10:40am

Post #10 of 10 (15 views)
Shortcut
Appreciating Alvin [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Magpie, Never thought I'd be giving props to Alvin Lee in a worldwide Tolkien message board. What a treat.

Saw Woodstock movie when I was a high schooler in late 70s, about Ten Years After (pun intended) the great rock festival of its time. It was the Saturday night midnight show at a local "movie house" long before the 16 plex was invented. I went with friends and we walked out with the music and the visuals buzzing in our heads around 3am on Sunday morning--Joe Cocker was fantastic, sang his praises elsewhere, and Alvin Lee put on an amazing show I remembered long long afterwards.

It was the guitar god era, Clapton, Hendrix, Duane Allman, Beck, Santana and good old Mr. Lee among so many others. Ten Years After, a versatile hard rocking, heavy blues based sledgehammer of a band. They could take an old chesnut like Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little 16" and make it their own, or do the long jam with great solos by Lee and let's not forget on keyboards, Mr. Chick Churchill. The way these guys dueled, battled and played together, switching leads, was awesome. Keyboards, the guitar god's friend along with solid bass and drum.

In the Woodstock movie, Lee did not protest Vietnam, lead crowd in rain chant, call for social revolution. He simply rocked "Going Home to My Baby" with power chords, great intricate solo work, really shredding the fretboards. And what attitude and style, screaming, then practically kissing the mike gently for his vocals. Looked every inch a British rocker too, cool long haired dude, with great stage image.

I remember turning to my buddy at one pt. We simply looked at each other, shook our heads, and riveted ourselves back to him on the big screen. Didn't say one word until it was over. Got Ten Yrs After on CD, vinyl LPs, and even nice little audiocassettes, and I wouldn't give em up for all the trees in Mirkwood. On Xmas break, out of town, you got me hungering for "I Woke Up This Morning" on very, very high volume, when I get back from vacation. "Goin Home to my Vinyl" -- thanks Alvin and you and Jimi and Duane and others have a fine time in rock and roll heaven. Tell St. Peter if we're too loud, get earplugs.

Pleasure giving props to the late great Mr. Lee. Thanks Magpie for the trip down memory lane.

The 13th Warrior, Woodstock Lives!!!Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.