Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #6
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 11:18am

Post #26 of 44 (282 views)
Shortcut
Good. No dwarf names. [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Tatted oddments?

2)

3)

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 11:19am

Post #27 of 44 (284 views)
Shortcut
continued... [In reply to] Can't Post

4)

5)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 4:11pm

Post #28 of 44 (260 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What is Bilbo keeping wrapped in an old bundle of tattered oddments that he used as a pillow?
He has a very lumpy pillow-- the Arkenstone!

2. When he makes his escape, how does Bilbo get down from (and later, back up) the top of the wall at the Gate?
He uses a rope -- luckily it was still there when he got back

3. Some two hours after he escapes the Gate, Bilbo is sitting beside a warm fire in front of a large tent. With whom is he sitting?
Bard and Thranduil. I think Gandalf was there as well, but incognito.

4. When hes sitting beside the fire discussing the situation with the person(s) identified in #3 above, what is the first thing that Bilbo pulls out of the pocket of his old jacket?
His best bargaining chip -- again the Arkenstone.

5. The chapter closes with Bilbo asleep and dreaming. Of what does he dream?
Home sweet home.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 7:43pm

Post #29 of 44 (268 views)
Shortcut
My whispered answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Hmmm, what could it be? A secret supply of seed cakes? Oin's ear trumpet? A Palantir? No, he is hiding the Arkenstone from Thorin, who would be very angry indeed if he found out Bilbo found it without telling him.

2. A rope.

3. Bard and some Elevenking (called Thranduil).

4. The same that he kept wrapped in an old bundle of tattered oddments that he used as a pillow. The Arkenstone! Now, if Thorin found out Bilbo gave that precious gem to his enemies, he might actually threaten to throw him over the wall ... ooops! Unsure

5. Breakfast in his comfortable hobbit hole. Including eggs and bacon.

Thank you so much for taking the time to make these lovely quizzes every week. Smile

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 5 2013, 9:28pm

Post #30 of 44 (257 views)
Shortcut
Oh my, oh my, I really haven't studied for this :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll give it a go, though Crazy

1. What is Bilbo keeping wrapped in an old bundle of tattered oddments that he used as a pillow?
  • What has it gots in its pillow, Precious? Bones, bat wings, mushrooms? A lock of Thorin's hair...ooo la la? I'm guessing a stone...a purty shiny one...soft and comfy--a perfect pillow. (the Arkenstone).

2. When he makes his escape, how does Bilbo get down from (and later, back up) the top of the wall at the Gate?
  • While Thorin is sleeping, Bilbo cuts off Thorin's hair (gasp! I know, right!) and does the Rapunzel/Luthien thing and uses it as a rope. (Rope).

3. Some two hours after he escapes the Gate, Bilbo is sitting beside a warm fire in front of a large tent. With whom is he sitting?
  • Well, I would guess Smaug (with fire and all), but I suspect Smaug would burn up the tent and eat Bilbo. Not very auspicious. So I'm guessing Bard of Laketown and the King of the Wood-elves (AKA Thranduil, of the flowing golden tresses almost--ALMOST, mind you--as lovely as Thorin's).

4. When hes sitting beside the fire discussing the situation with the person(s) identified in #3 above, what is the first thing that Bilbo pulls out of the pocket of his old jacket?
  • Handses! Knife! The lock of Thorin's hair! String or nothing! OK, probably the above alleged Arkenstone.

• Electric sheep? Oh wait, he's not an android...I think he's dreaming of Bag End and his comfy cozy bed and his tea-kettle and eggs and bacon...mmm, bacon....drool...zzzzzzz....flowing locks of hair...(Oh wait, that's MY dream, lol!)

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2013, 12:51am

Post #31 of 44 (242 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Silverlode! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've outdone yourself! I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Beautiful lament. Just perfect. Thanks. Smile

I wasn't familiar with the original, and asked NZS about it. He promptly identified it and sang me the first part. Not sure he should sing your version, though!

Now, do tell me more about those hair-combing and re-brading parties...

Bellerock
Rivendell

Mar 6 2013, 1:41am

Post #32 of 44 (222 views)
Shortcut
Which chapter is this again? [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I thought this quiz was talking about the dwarves sojourn with the elves because Bilbo is rather light-fingered there too. In fact, he has rather felonious tendencies throughout the book. Gandalf apparently knew what he was doing when he choose Bilbo as the Company's burglar. But I suppose this is the part of the story where:

1. Bilbo hides the Arkenstone in his pillow and he

2. Lies to Bombur about keeping watch so he can creep down a rope in the middle of the night and

3. Then, after skulking through the enemy lines, Bilbo finds himself swapping campfire stories with Bard and the Elvenking. (I think Gandalf was lurking somewhere nearby disguised cleverly as an old man.)

4. But getting back to Bilbo, while he can't seem to hold on to pocket handkerchief's, he still has the contract he got from the dwarves. After giving away Thorin's prize possesion,

5. Bilbo sneaks back to the Gate, wakes Bombur, and goes to sleep to dream peacefully of home and breakfast. I wonder that his conscience would let him.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 6 2013, 2:46am

Post #33 of 44 (227 views)
Shortcut
I'm speechless !!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't even answer the questions after that post. That song is....a parodic ... masterpiece Heart !!

If more of us valued gorgeous long-haired Dwarves over hoarded dignity, it would be a merrier world.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 6 2013, 2:48am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 6 2013, 3:16am

Post #34 of 44 (239 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks, all! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

But really, most of the credit ought to go to Stephen Foster because he's the one who wrote beautiful lyrics and all I did was switch genders and stick in a couple of Middle-earth references. Most of it's still exactly as he wrote it. BTW, for those who aren't familiar with the tune, this is a nice rendition.

Silverlode

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 12:18pm

Post #35 of 44 (209 views)
Shortcut
I'm wondering... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you still get to stare at Thorin and all his majesty even if you cheat?

1. The Arkenstone.
2. I think it was a rope. Could have been a ladder.
3. Gandalf and Thranduil.
4. The Arkenstone(?)
5. Leonard Nimoy singing "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins." After this, Bilbo was never the same. Those pointy-eared hobbit girls had an effect on him.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards because a refusal often offends." - Terry Pratchett

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Mar 6 2013, 12:20pm)

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Mar 6 2013, 5:23pm

Post #36 of 44 (193 views)
Shortcut
Been out of town last 10 days [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Arkenstone

2. Rope, he used to go down and come back up. It wasn't Thorin's hair.

3. Bard and later Gandalf

4. Arkenstone

5. Dreaming of Bag End

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Mar 6 2013, 5:54pm

Post #37 of 44 (200 views)
Shortcut
Wha...? SAST? Ro?? Did I somehow time travel....??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just dropped in - fleetingly - and I find here a certain Roheryn posting a certain quiz. Next you'll be telling me I can get IEC or sit on the mediocrity bench... Wink

Seems like old times! Nice to see ya, Ro! Sorry I haven't got time just now to stick around and answer the questions!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 6 2013, 6:23pm

Post #38 of 44 (189 views)
Shortcut
Ai ai [In reply to] Can't Post

Difficult ones, pffff, can't I cheat, really not? Ro won't notice.... Pff, no, don't dare to, that glare *shudder*.

Okay here I go...

Feathers, that sleeps the best!
But Bilbo was attempting to be the prince on the pea. But couldn't find a pea (Bombur had eaten them) so he used the Arkenstone for it.

One, two, three.... high jump.....weeeee and bump, landing. Or was it bump, splash, wall.
I'm guessing he used a rope to climb over.

It was a guys night out. Rough tracking all day, camping out, fishing in the river, finding your own mushrooms. And of course roasting marshmellows over the camp fire. Which is what Bard and Thranduil were doing. And Bilbo joined them.

Pfff, I always get something out of my pockets that I don't need when I'm looking for something. So I guess he found a twig.

Thorin..... nah, I would, I doubt Bilbo will. So it must be a nice warm Hobbit hole, with good food and loads of books.

Nira
Lorien

Mar 7 2013, 2:50am

Post #39 of 44 (181 views)
Shortcut
#6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Arkenstone
AKA Bilbo bling. What an uncomfortable thing to have in your pillow-o'-oddments.

When he makes his escape, how does Bilbo get down from (and later, back up) the top of the wall at the Gate?
? a ladder would be smart
I have no memory of this place...

Bard, Thranduil, and a hidden & hooded Gandalf
Gandalf can be so creepy sometimes!

Contract
That piece of paper survived a lot...rain, river water...dwarves must know how to make quality paper products as well

The chapter closes with Bilbo asleep and dreaming. Of what does he dream?
What he always dreams about...Being at home in the Shire...or Thorin's hair waving loosly in a soft breeze as it shines in the glow of a setting sun

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 4:40am

Post #40 of 44 (226 views)
Shortcut
Answers, I got answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

They're not good answers, but, well, here goes...

The Ark of the Covenant, which Indy thought he had successfully lost in a maze of government storage and bureaucracy... oh, oops, wrong Arky-thingie. So I'll go with that Arkenstone that Thorin wants.

He uses magic elven rope, given to him by the Lady Galadriel herself... oh, oops, wrong hobbit. In that case, I'll say he calls out, "Thorin, Thorin, let down your hair!" and clambers down and up on those wavy locks. Without Thorin knowing about it... somehow...

Hermione Granger, who is grumping about Ron Weasley being gone... oh, oops, wrong tent. I'll guess that he's sitting with Thorin's hairdresser, who has made the whole journey with the rest of the hidden entourage of support staff who help keep all the dwarves looking their rough 'n ready best. Or Gandalf.

The Ring! or the Arkenstone! Oh, wait, I actually stand a slim chance of being right on one of those... So I'll go with a length of duct tape, two safety pins and an old gum wrapper, which MacGyv- er - Thorin used to build an ingenious winching device for getting their supplies up the Lonely Mountain.

A White Christmas! and for the one he loves to find him. Not necessarily in that order. That, or he's having the one in which he has Thorin's hair... again...Tongue

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 7 2013, 8:39pm

Post #41 of 44 (159 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, I missed last week [In reply to] Can't Post

SAST Quiz #6 - NEW Edit | Delete | Quote | Reply To This Post
Glad I could catch this week's quiz

One of Thorin's braids that he surreptitiously snipped off? No? Maybe it was the Arkenstone.

I think there was a ladder.

Bard and Thranduil.

I can't believe he whips the Arkenstone so quickly, but maybe that's it.

Oh, gosh. I think he dreams of falling

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 8:50pm

Post #42 of 44 (156 views)
Shortcut
***QUIZ CLOSED*** [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for playing; answers & results soon!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 8:54pm

Post #43 of 44 (169 views)
Shortcut
*flyingtacklehug* [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotcha, gd! Great to see you, dear friend! Wish you could stay around to play but in your case being busy is usually a good thing. Here's hoping you're up to some fun. Wink

{{{greendragon}}}

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 8 2013, 1:41am

Post #44 of 44 (146 views)
Shortcut
I warm myself on these moments :) *sigh* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.