Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
A question on the powers of the Valar

billzy2
The Shire

Mar 7 2013, 3:52am

Views: 303
Shortcut
A question on the powers of the Valar Can't Post

I beleive i read somewhere in the Silmarililon that the Valar were not given the power to create life on their own, that is they could not bring new beings into existence in Middle Earth. This is the reason Morgoth took captured Elves and through long and slow torture and his own magic he bred from them the race of Orcs as he wanted beings to serve him. Yet Aule was able to create the race of Dwarves from stone which was not a living thing but stone, how was this possible? Was this a mistake on Professor Tolkiens part? I realize that after Aule created the Dwarves, Illuvatar appeared to him and questioned him about the Dwarves ad Aule was going to slay them but Illuvatar stayed his hand. Is it possible that the ability to create living things ( Man , Elves ) was a power that the Valar possessed but didn't use so as to avoid the wrath of Illuvatar? I would appreciate any and all responses to this question as it is one that always puzzled me.

Subject User Time
A question on the powers of the Valar billzy2 Send a private message to billzy2 Mar 7 2013, 3:52am
    Short reply squire Send a private message to squire Mar 7 2013, 7:02am
    Slightly longer version of the same answer: Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Mar 7 2013, 8:25am
        Thank you for your reply. billzy2 Send a private message to billzy2 Mar 8 2013, 12:10am
            Well, they were not all that sentient. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Mar 8 2013, 1:40am
    Just to echo the others Finwe Send a private message to Finwe Mar 7 2013, 7:29pm
    A related question is... Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Mar 8 2013, 2:26am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.