Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who busts Gollum out of prison in Mirkwood, and why?
Poll: Who busts Gollum out of prison in Mirkwood, and why?
Sauron - free Gollum to carry on a mission
Sauron - keep The Wise from learning what Gollum knows
Saruman - Sauron & Gandalf have both interrogated the wretched creature: Saruman is feeling left out!
Another power (not Sauron or Saruman) - researching the Ring
Not a rescue at all - a raiding party of orcs on an unrelated mission gives Gollum a chance to escape
View Results (40 votes)

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2013, 6:40pm

Post #1 of 16 (441 views)
Shortcut
Who busts Gollum out of prison in Mirkwood, and why? Can't Post

Over in the Reading Room, we've had a discussion about who helps Gollum escape from the elves (as Legolas relates in the Council of Elrond chapter of LOTR) http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=578091#578091

We've come up with several theories, I thought it would be fun to see which his the most popular

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 3 2013, 6:42pm

Post #2 of 16 (296 views)
Shortcut
Gollum went all-in with his charm towards Tauriel. It succeeded. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 3 2013, 7:25pm

Post #3 of 16 (295 views)
Shortcut
Sauron needed Gollum free [In reply to] Can't Post

to lead him to the Ring. If Sauron hadn't wanted the Wise to know what Gollum knew, Gollum would never had left Barad-dur. So in a way Gollum was on a mission, but perhaps unaware--he seemed to believe he had "escaped" Mordor. That's my theory, anyway Smile

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2013, 9:15pm

Post #4 of 16 (285 views)
Shortcut
Gollum's mission [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats what i used to think, and still partly think. But If Sauron is trying to use Gollum, it doesn't seem to work all that well for him; Gollum seems to get away from anything sent to tail him, and be able to operate independently.

elevorn
Lorien

Mar 4 2013, 7:39pm

Post #5 of 16 (240 views)
Shortcut
Orlando Bloom/Will Turner [In reply to] Can't Post

He was practicing his leverage technique for the first pirates movie(wait that doesn't work Gollum was in a tree silly). Seriously though, it had to be just a nice chance for Gollum. Possibly he saw a scouting orc and was able to find out when the attack was coming and make a break for it whilst they attacked. perhaps he aided a time for the attack. No one really important wanted him out. it just worked out.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 5 2013, 12:08pm

Post #6 of 16 (204 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea of "another power" [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very ominous and foreboding. Although, I've always assumed the most popular theory - Sauron keeping the wise from knowing what Gollum knows.

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2013, 1:04pm

Post #7 of 16 (247 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it woz the Balrog Wot Dunnit...? [In reply to] Can't Post

But probably not- there are hints that freelance evil things might go for the Ring, attracted by some kind of evil force it has (or just what possessing it would mean). But to want to catch Gollum you need to be politicking away- playing what we might call The Game Of Rings. Not sure who else is "a payer not a piece" in that game...

CuriousG
Valinor

Mar 6 2013, 12:04am

Post #8 of 16 (188 views)
Shortcut
It's the Blue Wizards! lol// [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 6 2013, 12:44am

Post #9 of 16 (190 views)
Shortcut
Very true... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But If Sauron is trying to use Gollum, it doesn't seem to work all that well for him; Gollum seems to get away from anything sent to tail him, and be able to operate independently.

But if so, why didn't Sauron just kill Gollum after torturing him? If Gollum did escape on his own, Sauron and his servants were really slacking on the job. And if he did let Gollum go deliberately, why change his mind later?

I guess I tend to go along Aragorn's opinion at the Council of Elrond: "And I do not doubt that he was allowed to leave Mordor on some evil errand" The Fellowship of the Ring, The Council of Elrond.

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2013, 7:18am

Post #10 of 16 (179 views)
Shortcut
"Blue Wizards" - a band, surely ?// [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2013, 7:30am

Post #11 of 16 (201 views)
Shortcut
Spy games and infinite mirrors... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just thought of a reason Sauron might want Gollum back- to find out what kind of questions Gandalf asked, and so to try & figure out how much the other side knows.

Otherwise, yes you think he'd have him killed. Unless there is a scheme that Gollum will find the ring while Sauron's agents follow him: but as I say that seems rather to backfire

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 12:34pm

Post #12 of 16 (198 views)
Shortcut
Which would explain... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it woz the Balrog Wot Dunnit...?

That balrogs have wings. A balrog could fly quickly to Mirkwood.
I get a *facepalm* for that one...

imin
Valinor

Mar 6 2013, 2:09pm

Post #13 of 16 (172 views)
Shortcut
Lol, here you go [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI Tongue

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 3:52pm

Post #14 of 16 (338 views)
Shortcut
You get double points for making it a Star Trek facepalm... [In reply to] Can't Post

sam90
Lorien

Mar 11 2013, 11:50pm

Post #15 of 16 (213 views)
Shortcut
Gollum's escape [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the ideas of the fanfilm: The Hunt for Gollum. The concept is that the Elves pitied Gollum and did want to help him to get some kind of redemption as Gandalf hoped as well. They may have brought him out of his dark cell outside in the wood to get some fresh air and flexing his muscles but then the guards were attacked by a party of Orcs raiders and Gollum escaped with them.

It is a simple theory which rely more or less on chance (a party of Orc happened to be there in the wood on purpose or not in the same time as Gollum was outside) but still is in my opinion a likely event.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Mar 11 2013, 11:54pm)

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Mar 11 2014, 11:05am

Post #16 of 16 (73 views)
Shortcut
Um - it turns out that this comes up in Unfinished Tales [In reply to] Can't Post

In Unfinished Tales, Tolkien says it was Sauron - I don't think I knew that when I started this poll, sorry about the lack of research on my part!
A discussion of that Tale The Hunt for the Ring has just started in the Reading Room, & looks to be fun, please come join us!
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=722225#722225

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.