Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Placement of the Bilbo/Gandalf Old Took party flashback in the EE?

Shagrat
Gondor

Mar 6 2013, 3:05pm

Post #1 of 13 (583 views)
Shortcut
Placement of the Bilbo/Gandalf Old Took party flashback in the EE? Can't Post

Apologies if there's already been discussion on this, but I was thinking about where this scene might go in the extended edition. I think it may follow the shot of the window of Bag End, just after Gandalf says 'It's out there!'. The transition to Bilbo protesting that he can't just go running off into the blue always strikes me as a little odd in the TC, as though he's a little rattled by something. Gandalf prompting Bilbo's memory of his more adventurous side might be the catalyst for this.

I know some people might place it in the 'Good morning' exchange, but I can't really see it. I think it would have more impact in the later scene, as it should serve a purpose in prompting Bilbo to action.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Mar 6 2013, 3:11pm

Post #2 of 13 (294 views)
Shortcut
It's really hard to see a place fitting for it in The beginning. It's so jampacked as it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

What you said could work but I cant help but feel it would spoil the rhythm, the cut is pretty rigid. Maybe during the prologue when Bilbo says "And that my dear Frodo is where I come in" after recounting Erebor we could get it inserted between the prologue and the frame story.

Another thing that sorta fits with what you said is that we see Bilbo asleep in the morning after the Misty Mountains song, we hear the dwarves lament and after their song when the camera tilts up to the chimney we could perhaps transiton into a manifestation of Bilbo's own lament and yearningperhaps where the flashback would function as sort of a dream which prompts the dramatic awakening and change of heart the next morning

I feel like its really up for grabs though, I just wanna see it so bad

(This post was edited by The Grey Pilgrim on Mar 6 2013, 3:15pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 6 2013, 3:16pm

Post #3 of 13 (282 views)
Shortcut
If not in the prologue, it could also happen once Bilbo is back in his house [In reply to] Can't Post

hiding from Gandalf and rattled by the experience. There could be a moment after seeing his uninvited visitor move along (easing on down the road, to quote another genre movie) where he shakes his head in disbelief at the fact that Gandalf has just come by after so many years (not only still alive, but unchanged by the decades), and might slip into memory. A bemused huff and chuckle to self, "Gandalf The Wizard!" (insert memory). "Yes. Yes, I do remember you. . . but I am not the rambunctious little hobbit you seem to recall." And off to market.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Mar 6 2013, 3:18pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 6 2013, 3:19pm

Post #4 of 13 (248 views)
Shortcut
I like this idea [In reply to] Can't Post

That it appears as a flashback-dream when Bilbo goes to bed. When he awakes, he's also waking up his Took-ish side.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Mar 6 2013, 3:19pm

Post #5 of 13 (246 views)
Shortcut
That sounds interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always felt The part of the film between Gandalf's arrival and the unexpected party was missing something and happened far too quickly. We could perhaps see him recall it like you said and then have him shake it off and try and ignore it and then cut to the scene where he is preparing dinner and Bam! The Dwarves arrive

Shagrat
Gondor

Mar 6 2013, 3:22pm

Post #6 of 13 (236 views)
Shortcut
Great idea [In reply to] Can't Post

A smooth transition of the Shire night sky to an evening party could work very well indeed. I hadn't thought of that one.

In any case I think we're generally in agreement then that the scene will have to go after the 'Good morning' sequence (at least once Bilbo retreats back into Bag End).

Shagrat
Gondor

Mar 6 2013, 3:23pm

Post #7 of 13 (251 views)
Shortcut
Well we'll definitely have something new here... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Bilbo in the marketplace sequence will for sure separate Gandalf's initial visit and Bilbo sitting down to have dinner.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Mar 6 2013, 3:25pm

Post #8 of 13 (245 views)
Shortcut
Oh Yes you're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

We have to see the legendary Fredegar Chubb!

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 6 2013, 4:47pm

Post #9 of 13 (211 views)
Shortcut
Probably making this up ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is Gandalf watching (or just present) in the market place scene? I seem to remember reading this somewhere ...

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2013, 5:03pm

Post #10 of 13 (217 views)
Shortcut
Exactly - the fish Bilbo prepares for his dinner... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is the one he bought from Chubb in the market!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 6 2013, 5:29pm

Post #11 of 13 (181 views)
Shortcut
That would work! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love that.Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 6 2013, 6:30pm

Post #12 of 13 (155 views)
Shortcut
It could flow visually [In reply to] Can't Post

right from that look after Martin wrinkles his nose.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 6:39pm

Post #13 of 13 (163 views)
Shortcut
That was a fresh fish too [In reply to] Can't Post

It was caught that day by a member of the crew I believe

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.