Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
bilbo's review of his objects in the opening scene

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 1:53am

Post #1 of 8 (551 views)
Shortcut
bilbo's review of his objects in the opening scene Can't Post

the portrait of himself... i have this fancy that perhaps he gets his portrait painted in dale.

in the chest, there's a flash of a newel-type thing in the upper-left hand corner that you only see for a second. it's bear-shaped. something from beorn? some bearish/beorn-type thing carved for him in dale?

i also look at all the swords on his wall and wonder from where they came. battle of the five armies, perhaps.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 3:03am

Post #2 of 8 (282 views)
Shortcut
I love that scene [In reply to] Can't Post

And I absolutely love the way Ian Holm looks at the portrait of himself as young Bilbo and puts his hand to his chin. That is such a nice touch.

I also noticed Elijah in the following scene pulling out a large old rusted helm. I wonder if that's the helm that Bilbo will wear for the BoT5A.

Now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/12

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 4:27am

Post #3 of 8 (275 views)
Shortcut
This is why I'm looking forward to my Blu-ray [In reply to] Can't Post

When you pause it the picture is very clear. So I can sit there and look for this sort of stuff that I missed in my many theater viewings.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2013, 8:37am

Post #4 of 8 (222 views)
Shortcut
I love how thoughtful he gets when he looks at that portrait. [In reply to] Can't Post

Given Ori's propensity for drawing, I've figured it's likely that Ori sketched that portrait of Bilbo. Maybe Ori gave it to him as a going-away present before Bilbo left Erebor to return home? Regardless, I bet we see where it comes from. Makes that skeleton by Balin's tomb in Moria all the more sad.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 6 2013, 9:09am

Post #5 of 8 (219 views)
Shortcut
Re: the weapons on the wall [In reply to] Can't Post

They were also on the wall at the end of ROTK. I've always assumed that they were from Bilbo's adventure. But where else could they be from? Perhaps the Battle of Greenfields?

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 11:32am

Post #6 of 8 (184 views)
Shortcut
lovely thought -- that it is drawn by ori [In reply to] Can't Post

roheryn, what a lovely thought, that it is drawn by ori.

even before that thought, the hobbit/ori/balin/oin changed forever how i view the tomb scene in moria. i much more keenly empathize with the grief that gimli feels.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 6 2013, 11:53am

Post #7 of 8 (190 views)
Shortcut
The chest its self is the one Gloin and Co. bury in the cave [In reply to] Can't Post

"It still smells of troll" I assume Bilbo goes back and digs it up

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Mar 6 2013, 11:54am)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 1:13pm

Post #8 of 8 (83 views)
Shortcut
I am really hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

that we will get a glimpse of each of the items in the chest elsewhere in the course of Bilbo's adventures by the time we've seen all three Hobbit movies. Then we can go back and try to find them like a game of I Spy. That would make it a treasure chest in every sense!

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.