Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Are Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur are related to Thorin in the film?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 6 2013, 12:32am

Views: 670
Shortcut
Are Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur are related to Thorin in the film? Can't Post

I'm wondering about these lines:

Gandalf: "Who did you tell about your quest, beyond your kin?"

Thorin: "No one."

Since Bombur, Bofur, and Bifur know about the quest, they must be Thorin's kin!

Also, has anyone noticed that the film changes Bilbo's geneaology? We hear this:

Gandalf: "You are also a Took. Did you know that your great-great-great-great-uncle, Bullroarer Took, was so large he could ride a real horse?"

In the book, Bandobras "Bullroarer" Took was only Bilbo's great-great-great-uncle (i.e., brother of his great-great-grandfather).

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Subject User Time
Are Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur are related to Thorin in the film? N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 6 2013, 12:32am
    I took that line, "your kin" Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 6 2013, 12:56am
    Got this from this site Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Mar 6 2013, 1:11am
    They are definitely not related Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Mar 6 2013, 1:30am
        every dwarf except bifur, bofur, bomber is in some way related to thorin Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 6 2013, 1:49am
        And we should trust the companion book instead of the film itself? // N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 6 2013, 4:23am
            I think we trust them together Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Mar 6 2013, 5:46am
                Is a film viewer who has not read that book wrong to believe they are related? N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 6 2013, 4:36pm
                    Not wrong, but most probably don't care Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Mar 6 2013, 5:33pm
                    From a screenwriter's perspective, it also could be that "kin" Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 6 2013, 5:57pm
                        Kin arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Mar 6 2013, 6:41pm
                            very true Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Mar 6 2013, 9:26pm
    As for Bilbo's geneaology, I doubt it matters that much. Slip of the tongue by Gandy maybe. Nitpicking, IMHO. // macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Mar 6 2013, 7:41am
        "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?" N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 6 2013, 4:55pm
    Related or not, did all the dwarves know one another before the quest? Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 6 2013, 11:59am
    How far do you want to go back? stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Mar 6 2013, 4:31pm
        Do Gandalf and Thorin understand "your kin" to mean "all dwarves"? N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 6 2013, 4:45pm
    I think the genealogy change is purely a rhythm thing Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Mar 15 2013, 4:32am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.