Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The little scences/shots you love the most...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2013, 7:38am

Post #26 of 42 (275 views)
Shortcut
In terms of visuals ... [In reply to] Can't Post

the Eagles flying against the sunrise and the mountains is jaw-droppingly lovely.

Storm clouds

andwise
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 9:12am

Post #27 of 42 (268 views)
Shortcut
fave shots. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many to choose from and I'm sure after many DVD viewings there will be many to add but right from the off I loved the shot of thorin hammering the iron on the anvil,genius shot that because it brings to life a part of the appendices that would never have been if PJ and co hadn't decided to expand.I always get goosebumps when Bilbo draws sting for the first time in the mountain cave,classic.and the final shot of the camera sweeping up over the desolation towards the lonely mountain as we follow the thrush.that,is an awesome shot and another moment of genius.I may be back later with more Smile

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2013, 9:18am

Post #28 of 42 (267 views)
Shortcut
The morning after the night before... [In reply to] Can't Post

when Bilbo wakes to an empty house...

and also the scene between Bofur and Bilbo in the Goblin's front porch. Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
» Victoria Monfort

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 10:03am

Post #29 of 42 (279 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to limit it to two [In reply to] Can't Post

1 - As has already been mentioned, the arrival of Gandalf in Goblin Town. An incredible moment and I love how the bright light makes the goblins look - it realy shows how 'real' they are. And the music at that moment as well - the use of Gandalf's new theme.

2 - A very small moment but when Gollum clinks his chin onto the rock as he watches Bilbo during the Riddle game. He looks like a cross between a cat and an enthusiastic child and it's a tiny choice that I love.

Kullervo
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 10:10am

Post #30 of 42 (259 views)
Shortcut
I really can't choose just one [In reply to] Can't Post

But my favorite moments are:

1. In the prologue, when Smaug is attacking Dale, the brief moment when the dramatic music quiets down and we see a young girl standing over a burning doll. That is a brilliant moment illustrating the emotional devastation of Smaug's attack.

2. Bilbo sitting in his bed when the dwarves sing. It has a quiet, melancholic and otherworldly air to it that is quite mesmerizing.

3. The quiet stillness of the moring after scene, followed by the exhilarating run out the door and through the Shire to catch the adventure. The music and the burst of excitement always makes me feel like a child again, on my way to explore the forest behind our house, a world where strange creatures seemed to hide under every rock and magical beings floated silently behind the trees.

4. The pity scene, where Bilbo spares Gollum's life. The only moment in the movie when it got misty in the theater. I really felt sorry for Gollum, and it hit me that this was perhaps the single most important moment in both the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. It is this act of mercy that saves the whole Middle-earth in the end.

5. The eagles soaring over the mountain cliff. In 3d HFR, this moment (coupled with the music) was just breathtaking. I felt like I was flying with them. I was there. I was in Middle-earth.

There are, of course, many other great moments, but those five seem to always stand out for me in every viewing.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2013, 11:55am

Post #31 of 42 (239 views)
Shortcut
He was a Fandrake from the North. [In reply to] Can't Post

(Okay, I promise to stop now.)Tongue

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 5 2013, 12:39pm

Post #32 of 42 (245 views)
Shortcut
Those little nudges towards the relationship between Thorin, Fili and Kili. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love them. It's not obvious at first that Thorin cares for them, but those small moments really do stand out. During the stone-giants' battle, when the rock seemingly flattened half of the company, Thorin immediately cries out Kili's( I think it was Kili, sorry; only watched AUJ three times) name first.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards because a refusal often offends." - Terry Pratchett

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2013, 12:51pm

Post #33 of 42 (218 views)
Shortcut
Riddles in the Dark scene [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
2 - A very small moment but when Gollum clinks his chin onto the rock as he watches Bilbo during the Riddle game. He looks like a cross between a cat and an enthusiastic child and it's a tiny choice that I love.

Those little poignant touches make this scene so special...

I also find the lightning changes between Gollum-the-excited-child and Gollum-the-monster just scary. No matter how many times I've seen that scene, and no matter that I know exactly what's going to happen, I'm still so tense during it that I can hardly enjoy the truly superb acting. Every time, when Bilbo puts his sword away after their agreement, I'm thinking, "Noooooo, Bilbo, noooooooo!"

I'm not sure whether it would be scarier to have my experience of already knowing Gollum and what he's capable of, or to be a new viewer just meeting him for the first time and trying to figure him out--like Bilbo is.

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 5 2013, 12:55pm

Post #34 of 42 (222 views)
Shortcut
Some I forgot: [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Gandalf bumping his head in Bag End just as he did in FotR!

2. The dragon kite in Dale.

3. Bilbo asking Frodo to put up the "No admittance except on part business" sign.

4. How, even though he's got some brain damage, it seems that Bifur is still stirred by the dwarves' singing of the Misty Mountains.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards because a refusal often offends." - Terry Pratchett

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 3:11pm

Post #35 of 42 (193 views)
Shortcut
The child with the doll...Who is it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep scratching my head over that one..its a beautiful, evocative shot.
But what gets me is that I think its a boy and not a girl, and the doll looks like an archer. and what the child is leaning on looks like a bow......just have the feeling that the child is SOMEONE. My first thought was "That's Bard!!" but the timeline doesn't work, unkess they were to age him on a different scale. But I just have a haunting feeling we will see that as someone's flashback and that we will see that child again.

Anubis
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 3:59pm

Post #36 of 42 (184 views)
Shortcut
There are plenty. [In reply to] Can't Post

For example, the dwarves charging in Azanulbizar.

Bifur┤s gestures in the unexpected party.

Erebor turning dark in the prologue: "and the watchful nights grew darker."

Thranduil visiting Thror, mainly because of the music.

Gloin getting mad at Elrond.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2013, 5:21pm

Post #37 of 42 (163 views)
Shortcut
Bard's great-grandmother? [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the book, it's 170 years between Smaug's appearance and the dwarves' return, although in the movie they use 60 years since Smaug has been seen (but then, he might have been seen for a hundred years after the attack, grabbing a quick snack in the surrounding countryside).

Whichever timeline they use, it could be that she's a fore-mother of Bard's, and maybe we'll see that doll again...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 6:31pm

Post #38 of 42 (143 views)
Shortcut
That's a good idea Dernwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a link to show that burned doll, and find out that child's story later on. That's why I was stumped, because at either 170 years OR sixty (in which Smaug probably popped out for a snack or two) can't age the child quite right to be AUJ current human generation.

Or maybe its just a nice shot, and I'm reading too much into itTongue

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 8:53pm

Post #39 of 42 (136 views)
Shortcut
Sooo many [In reply to] Can't Post

Ugh, I lovelovelove this film. But as it would take up entirely too much space to write down the whole film here, and as I would probably still be sitting here tomorrow, I'll just agree with all the little bits that others have already mentioned, and add a few that I haven't seen yet:

1. The scene when the ring falls out of Gollum's pocket and lands with a heavy thud directly in the front of the screen is just mesmerising. Especially in 3D.
2. Our first view of the HUGE amount of gold in Erebor and the vastness of those halls.
3. Gandalf saying "To think that I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door!" Love that, directly from the book.
4. Bilbo making the whole company stop because he forgot his pocket-handkerchief.
5. Bilbo licking his teeth after Gollum solved the tooth-riddle.
6. Galadriel's look when she sees the Morgul blade.

Heart

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Mar 6 2013, 12:57am

Post #40 of 42 (114 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

'i do not believe we have met.'

Bellerock
Rivendell

Mar 6 2013, 1:52am

Post #41 of 42 (107 views)
Shortcut
Not really a little thing [In reply to] Can't Post

But I love the storm in the mountains, and the moment when the stone giants appear. The thunder battle clearly shows how little the dwarves (and hobbit) are in great big world. For me the giants are awesome in the true sense of the word.

glor
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 3:12am

Post #42 of 42 (121 views)
Shortcut
That entrance [In reply to] Can't Post

When Thorin fills the door, and you feel like.you are looking slightly up at him. What made that moment so clever was that the combination of camera anglesand scale were from Bilbo's perspective.

So, you saw Thorin the way Bilbo first saw him, this relatively tall, impressive, obviously important dwarf and I realised that i, the audience member wasn't just watching Bilbo, I was Bilbo. That I was going to see Middle-Earth in a new way.

Not the sweeping grandeur of Lotr with it's epic sweeping shots and wide vistas but, in a smaller but no less magical way, that of a Hobbit going on an adventure.

Oh and what you said Sly

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.