Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2013, 3:29pm

Post #1 of 51 (377 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 3:39pm

Post #2 of 51 (255 views)
Shortcut
Does it have to be only in theaters? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have kids, so I don't get to get out much...but I watched "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" with my husband (he's been wanting me to watch it for months). I wished that it had bee easier to follow- it seemed like it was trying to be too smart for its own good. I did like the overall story, though. Pacing throughout could have been better, but it did have some very good parts (my favorite was Peter trying to steal the logbook).

(This post was edited by bborchar on Mar 4 2013, 3:40pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 4 2013, 4:01pm

Post #3 of 51 (244 views)
Shortcut
The Perks of Being a Wallflower [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ordinary People" meets "Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist." I enjoyed it for the most part, as I was a "misfit toy" in high school myself and coped by finding a group of friends who also didn't fit the mold. The acting is great. I was pleased that Emma Watson not only had a flawless American accent (mostly - a couple of slips), but had lost the "Hermione" mannerisms. No big inhales before each line and rushing each line out, thank you. And Ezra Miller is astounding. I can't wait to see more of him.

However, the last part of the movie didn't work for me. You know something of the kind is going to happen, but the filmmakers drag a big red herring across the path. When the actual crisis occurred, it was over something else entirely, something that i don't think the events up until then had prepared us for at all.

Worth seeing anyway. There's a bit of violence but the film tends to look away from it pretty quickly.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 4 2013, 4:19pm

Post #4 of 51 (240 views)
Shortcut
it can be pretty much anything [In reply to] Can't Post

movies at theaters
movies you streamed or watched on dvd
tv shows in real time (Downtown Abbey is a bit topic as is Sherlock when they air) or on DVD/streaming
documentaries
youtube or other online series

whatever you're watching, especially that you think others might like. I get a lot of suggestions and guidance from posts in this thread so I appreciate comments on pretty much anything.

Are you talking about the Gary Oldman version of TTSS? I didn't have a lot of enthusiasm for it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 4:24pm

Post #5 of 51 (238 views)
Shortcut
Thanks... [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, we watched the version of TTSS with Gary Oldman. Your summary is about how I felt.

Also making our way through the radio series of Cabin Pressure...it's just so incredibly funny.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 4 2013, 4:33pm

Post #6 of 51 (244 views)
Shortcut
I'm catching up on Season 2 of Game of Thrones [In reply to] Can't Post

It just became available on Netflix and, unexpectedly, I got it the week after release (I think I waited 9 months for season 1).

I did kind of watch the first few episodes. Someone recorded it and tried to share it with us but the formatting was so messed up it wasn't worth it. And I'm only 2 episodes in on this better quality watch so I don't have a lot to say yet.

We finished Homeland Season 1 and I'm looking forward to Season 2 (on DVD). We also finished with Season 3 of Community and I've been watching Season 4 in real time. There were episodes of this show that I thought were brilliant or made me howl. But I haven't been able to sustain a real and significant interest in it. I appreciate the unique and inventive nature of it.. but in the end, I wish I was just a little more engaged and entertained, instead of just appreciative in a more detached way.

I got a low rated tornado movie from Netflix, Night of the Twisters. It deserved its low rating. This seemed lower quality than a made for tv movie. It seemed more like an after school special quality. There isn't much 'tornado' in it and the science was just bad.

And speaking of bad, I watched Fire from Below on Amazon streaming with Kevin Sorbo. Sorbo was an executive producer and I wondered if he was trying to break out of some fantasy (Hercules, Andromeda) typecasting he might have been stuck in... he didn't act well enough, imo, to showcase himself. To make it worse, Roku/Amazon doesn't do the fast forward very well and I really wanted to fast forward through much of this movie.

My second run theater has a dynamite lineup in its 'coming soon' list. The Hobbit, Argo, The Impossible, Life of Pi are on my 'want to see list'. Anna Karenina is on my 'might want to see' list. I'll probably save Zero Dark Thirty for DVD so I can fast forward through the torture scenes. And Les Miserables is playing right now but I don't know if I can sit through almost 3 hours of this in a theater seat. If I summon up the energy to watch it, I think it will have to be on DVD where I can wander around the house as I wish.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 4:46pm

Post #7 of 51 (229 views)
Shortcut
Good timing [In reply to] Can't Post

As GOT's season 3 is less than 4 weeks away.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 4:50pm

Post #8 of 51 (228 views)
Shortcut
House of Cards [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched this very-hyped new series (only on Netflix.) Netflix, of course, has been very popular in USA for years but only came to Sweden a couple of months ago, so I tried it out.

Watched the first half of the series (7/13 episodes). The acting is good, especially Kevin Spacey, but I feel this show has gotten more hype than it deserves. It's good, but it's nothing real special, IMO. Not like Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire. when I can't wait for the next episode to become available.

priell3
Lorien

Mar 4 2013, 5:09pm

Post #9 of 51 (246 views)
Shortcut
Jack the Giant Slayer [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife and I went to see this movie over the weekend. We enjoyed it.

Pretty good story with some funny bits. No language or sex and the violence was pretty mild by today's standards so it is family friendly.

We saw it in 2D. Fun time.

MikeP

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 4 2013, 5:29pm

Post #10 of 51 (219 views)
Shortcut
I've been re-watching the original [In reply to] Can't Post

House of Cards. It was discussed here a couple of weeks ago, which prompted me to see it again.
And it's every bit as good as I remembered. Ian Richardson is absolutely brilliant as Francis Urquhart.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 4 2013, 5:40pm

Post #11 of 51 (219 views)
Shortcut
well... it will be 12 months before those episodes are available on DVD // [In reply to] Can't Post

so the timing isn't worth much to me. :-/

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 4 2013, 6:41pm

Post #12 of 51 (213 views)
Shortcut
Silver Linings Playbook, and Gattaca. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was sure about SLP to start with, but the film grew on me and by the end I was really glad I had seen it. The two leads were superb.

Gattaca was Andrew Nicol's first movie (which he wrote and directed) - a Kiwi who did advertising in London before moving to LA to work in films. I do admire Gattaca's story and style and I can see echoes of it in Nicol's The Truman Show. (Niccol has also written the script for The Host - I'm very interested to see what he does with a Stephanie Meyer story.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 4 2013, 6:59pm

Post #13 of 51 (214 views)
Shortcut
Chicken with Plums [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a live action story from the same folks who did Persepolis. It's a French-language, magic-realism story about a man in Teheran in 1952. He's a musician, and someone breaks his prize violin (it would be a spoiler to say who) and he's so depressed about it that he takes to his bed to await death. It's not a spoiler to say that he dies after 8 days, since that's told near the very beginning. The movie is broken up into the 8 days, with title cards, and we see his thoughts and memories over those 8 days. There are bits of magic, as he's visited by the Angel of Death, and bits that feel like magic, as we see his memories of his mentor, who feels a bit like a wizard. There's a little animated folk tale at one point, and I recognized the folk tale, which was fun. Eventually we find out why he's so depressed, and why the violin meant so much to him.

I loved this movie, but my husband found it boring and depressing. I told him it reminded me of the Henri the Cat videos (if you haven't seen them, check them out on youtube; they're well worth watching). So we watched some of those and he laughed and cheered up.

It's true that none of the characters are very likeable, but the storytelling is so magical I didn't mind. And there are bits of humor throughout, though they're pretty understated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2013, 8:41pm

Post #14 of 51 (206 views)
Shortcut
Jack the giant Slayer [In reply to] Can't Post

Took the g'son to see this -- for a fairy-tale adaptation it was pretty good. I found Nicolas Hault to be a rather vacuous romatic lead and the female lead really didn't have anything to do but look pretty, but the rest of the cast was pretty good --notably Ewan McGregor (did anyone else think he looked like a young Kenneth Branagh in this? And Stanley Tucci was terrific, as always. Another thing, I thought the lead looked a lot like Sean Bean! Even though he was voiced by Bill Nighy.

I don't much care for 3-D, it hardly seems worth it. But this had about the best 3-D I have seen. Flinched a few tiimes.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 4 2013, 10:40pm

Post #15 of 51 (199 views)
Shortcut
A few things [In reply to] Can't Post

On Netflix:

A few episodes of Archer. Hilarious though a little racy at times.

On DVD:

Watched Tristan + Isolde again. Great movie imho.

On History Channel:

Premier of The Bible, a five part miniseries - an historical documentary, leans a bit towards spectacle (ie the stories with strong visuals), but accurate overall and quite enjoyable. The premier took us to Joshua. A very cool aspect of the series so far is the diverse cast... for instance one of the angels that rescued Lot employed Kung Fu or Ninjitsu.

And following that I caught another History Channel original series premiere called The Vikings. This one is best described as an historical drama. So far I'm really liking it. It's set in an interesting era, just as the Vikings started raiding England and Western Europe. The lead characters and story line so far are quite engaging.

acheron
Gondor

Mar 4 2013, 11:02pm

Post #16 of 51 (200 views)
Shortcut
finally started on Downton Abbey [In reply to] Can't Post

A few years behind as usual, but there it is.

It's pretty entertaining. We're about halfway through the first series/season. Love Maggie Smith of course.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 11:06pm

Post #17 of 51 (196 views)
Shortcut
I tried to like it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched Downton Abbey for the last four episodes...I just couldn't take how much like a soap opera it was. Glad you are enjoying it, though.

If you are interested in a different take on Edwardian England, I HIGHLY recommend Parade's End...the acting is excellent and it's wonderfully written. There's only 5 episodes, but it's really wonderful.

(This post was edited by bborchar on Mar 4 2013, 11:08pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 4 2013, 11:51pm

Post #18 of 51 (179 views)
Shortcut
Zero Dark Thirty [In reply to] Can't Post

Tense and interesting film. Any controversy about torture aside, I think what they were really saying was that it was just good work on sifting clues and knowing things from the ground level that got Bin Laden. The bribery money approach got agents killed; the torture approach yielded lies; and it was only when they lied back that they got any results -- ironic. It's very easy to see how it could become an obsession. In any case, we'll never know all the facts, but it seemed like you were right there -- from the situation room to the investigations to the final assault. Well done.

imin
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 12:26am

Post #19 of 51 (177 views)
Shortcut
Great show [In reply to] Can't Post

One which gets better as the series progresses. I am not too sure of what hype you are mentioning though as all i have heard or seen about it was a few trailers. I also watched it with no prior knowledge of the original as some have on here and pretty much as soon as it was released so no massive expectations other than it looked well put together, slick with good writing and a great actor in Kevin spacey who i think is great in his role.

Saying that i also really love the other two tv shows you mention and am so excited to watch season 3 of game of thrones (my fave of the three).

sevilodorf
Gondor

Mar 5 2013, 2:10am

Post #20 of 51 (177 views)
Shortcut
The shame.... Breaking Dawn Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

My granddaughter and I had to finish it out. It wasn't quite as bad as Part one but for pity's sake .... all the other vampires seem much more interesting than Edward and Bella... let's hear their stories.

And while I wouldn't have given the whole movie the Razzie I feel that Kristen Stewart well deserves hers. How other actors can work around her is miraculous.... Snow White and Huntsman comes to mind.

But then I redeemed myself and went back to the second run theater and saw The Hobbit again.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 6:12am

Post #21 of 51 (160 views)
Shortcut
Love Gattaca [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's an under-rated gem. It's really intelligent and thought provoking. But now whenever I see anything about DNA sequencing with all the G's, A's, C's, and T's, I think, "Gattaca!" Tongue

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 8:36am

Post #22 of 51 (154 views)
Shortcut
Hype by word of mouth, I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

And in the papers where I live they had gone on and on about this show. And some of my relatives proclaimed it as the "best tv-series ever", so you can see why that gave me sky-high expectations. ^^

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 8:42am

Post #23 of 51 (159 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that sucks. [In reply to] Can't Post

Granted, I don't have HBO either (I live in a land far, far away!) But, they just launched a service here in Scandinavia called "HBO Nordic" that works like Netflix though a little more expensive, where the newest episode is out the day after it airs in USA (with subtitles: a luxury!). The past two years I have watched the show...well... to put it plainly illegaly (because I couldn't wait for it to air here, which would take months and months). I may just sign up for this service to make amends for not paying for watching it like everybody else.

imin
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 9:26am

Post #24 of 51 (181 views)
Shortcut
Ah ok [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah i can see now why you were going into it so excited. It is a slow burner as well so i can see why that could be disappointing for you. Are you going to watch the remaining episodes of the season?

The HBO Nordic sounds awesome! Like you i watched the online first - though i have since bought the dvds when they became available over here - i just couldn't wait either, lol.

Have you seen many HBO programmes now? Band of Brothers is a classic i would highly recommend if you haven't seen it already.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 10:17am

Post #25 of 51 (167 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

"Yeah i can see now why you were going into it so excited. It is a slow burner as well so i can see why that could be disappointing for you. Are you going to watch the remaining episodes of the season?"

My Netflix subscription for 1 month just ended and I'll probably renew it after I've tried out HBO Nordic. I'll watch them then.

"The HBO Nordic sounds awesome! Like you i watched the online first - though i have since bought the dvds when they became available over here - i just couldn't wait either, lol. "

Yeah, because I just couldn't wait more than a day to watch the new episodes. In my group of friends, nearly everyone watches Game of Thrones so avoiding spoilers was always going to be really hard. The only option was to make sure to watch them before they did. Cool

"Have you seen many HBO programmes now? Band of Brothers is a classic i would highly recommend if you haven't seen it already."

Yes, and the one's I've really liked I have bought on DVD. Band of Brothers of course (although it's "stand-alone sequel" The Pacific wasn't as great), Deadwood, Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire are my favourites there.
I also watched some of Rome and The Sopranos, but to my surprise (had heard they were great), did not care for them much. Some shows just "grabs ahold" of you and some don't, I guess!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.