Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Battle of Five Armies
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 9:01am

Post #1 of 31 (1085 views)
Shortcut
The Battle of Five Armies Can't Post

I was thinking about the the big 'end' battle. How can it be special? Without getting bigger and undoing the Battle of The Pelennor Fields? They can't use big siege weapons etc..

I read several interviews that it would have some aerial fighting - some dogfights. And PJ loves them so they will be there..

But still.,. It wasn't special to me - just a rehash of the battles of LotR: with the fell beasts, picking up people.

But yesterday I received the Hobbit Chronicles I - Art book. And in the forword by Dan Hennah he talks about how Bilbo (and the viewer) makes a journey from the sunny Shire to Dale, midwinter!

I didn't think of this, but a snowy battle is great. Just try to imagine: Wind, snow, frozen beards of the dwarves. The orcs coming down the mountainside. The boars of the cavalry storming through snow... Great imagery...

What do you think?

Joe20
Lorien

Mar 5 2013, 9:08am

Post #2 of 31 (594 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't thought of that either [In reply to] Can't Post

but your descriptions do make that sound really great. I hope something like that does occur.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 5 2013, 9:28am

Post #3 of 31 (632 views)
Shortcut
There are a couple of shots in one of the vlogs [In reply to] Can't Post

where you can see snow in Dale. So there will definitely be snow around. Having a midwinter battle would spectacular though (as long as the CGI is good.) There's nothing worse than bad CGI precipitation!

As for it outdoing the Siege of Gondor ... why shouldn't it? We've got 5 massive Armies, plus a wizard and a Hobbit, a bunch of bats and trolls, eagles and a shapeshifting bear! They should go all out.

Kullervo
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 10:40am

Post #4 of 31 (527 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

A battle in the snow in the winter would look great and help it stand out as unique in the films. I hope this is what they are doing.

emre43
Lorien

Mar 5 2013, 11:28am

Post #5 of 31 (511 views)
Shortcut
Where have trolls been confirmed? [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 5 2013, 11:38am

Post #6 of 31 (493 views)
Shortcut
I didn't say they had been confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

And they shouldn't really have been on my list (since it doesn't say they were there in the book). I always imagined that Trolls were involved in some way though.

Smile

emre43
Lorien

Mar 5 2013, 11:47am

Post #7 of 31 (467 views)
Shortcut
You did pretty much say they were confirmed. You categorically said 'We've' got...trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 5 2013, 11:51am

Post #8 of 31 (446 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for the misleading comment. :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

ShireHorse
Rohan

Mar 5 2013, 1:40pm

Post #9 of 31 (444 views)
Shortcut
Great idea, Raoul! [In reply to] Can't Post

A battle in the snow would be good.

Do people remember the front covers of the Empire Hobbit Special?

http://www.empireonline.com/...terview.asp?IID=1604

The Thorin one confused me because it is snowing. Is there a connection? On the other hand, he looks quite young in that shot and his clothing belongs to AUJ. Presumably, the elves will confiscate that but where does the snow come in?

Kullervo
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 2:04pm

Post #10 of 31 (434 views)
Shortcut
It's a promotional pic [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's not strange that it has different elements from the movies mixed together. But it seems to indigate that there is a snowy enviroment at least somewhere in the movies, and as DanielLB already mentioned we have seen glimpses of a snowy Dale. I just hope it will be winter during the battle, even though I've never imagined it being winter when I've read the book. But it would be unique, and it would also be great thematically, if we see the winter turn in to spring with (SPOILERS!) Thorin's funeral and the coronation of Din.

andwise
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 2:36pm

Post #11 of 31 (412 views)
Shortcut
battle in the snow. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm loving that idea my friend! That would be fantastic,give it a real feel of originality that sets it apart from rings.lets hope this is the way they go.

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

imin
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 2:48pm

Post #12 of 31 (396 views)
Shortcut
The battle was some time in late November wasn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think i can remember reading something like that. If that were the case then i assume their would be some snow about the mountain/general area.

I think it will help differentiate it as well from the LOTR battles and overall be awesome.

Brego93
The Shire

Mar 5 2013, 3:16pm

Post #13 of 31 (368 views)
Shortcut
It will highlight Middle-earth geography to the causal film viewer too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another way for the triologies to be distinct showing that Erebor is in the North amongst the snow.

"I don't know half of you as half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve"

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 3:18pm

Post #14 of 31 (380 views)
Shortcut
I also wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

That shot with Elijah Wood in Bag End at the beginning shows him picking up a rusted old helm of some kind. I wonder if that's the helm Bilbo will wear before he's knocked out. That had to be in the scene for a reason.

No go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/12

Anubis
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 4:22pm

Post #15 of 31 (347 views)
Shortcut
That would be neat. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would definitely set it apart from other battles, and give it a unique "taste". Besides, dwarves in the snow are a must.

emre43
Lorien

Mar 5 2013, 5:45pm

Post #16 of 31 (278 views)
Shortcut
No problem :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 5 2013, 7:26pm

Post #17 of 31 (258 views)
Shortcut
Good thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Snow could figure on the slopes of the mountain, even if its not actively snowing. It was described as cold!

The book describes the progress of the battle pretty well. We've discussed a number of the tactics used, and odd creatures like Beorn make it interesting, and so do the bats, and how they might be employed. I think the battle will be unique because it's simply very different armies employed from Pelennor and/or Helm's Deep. It's smaller in terms of numbers for the defenders, however, anything is possible now in the movie canon version. Perhaps Gandalf could use a little fire magic to melt some snow and cause a landslide or something? I know theyr'e not big into magic from staffs, but it might be fun to watch goblins buried in a landslide.

Ffnir
Rohan

Mar 5 2013, 9:31pm

Post #18 of 31 (237 views)
Shortcut
Thorin will have a special armor during the battle. I hope Azog will too ! [In reply to] Can't Post

With furr for the frost ! He comes from mount Gundabad after all, so he can't be half naked all the time

(This post was edited by Ffnir on Mar 5 2013, 9:32pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 10:16pm

Post #19 of 31 (199 views)
Shortcut
I think that Trolls are more likely at Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

I can easily imagine that the Necromancer has Trolls in his service, but I don't want them to show up at the Battle of the Five Armies.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2013, 1:32am

Post #20 of 31 (161 views)
Shortcut
Aerial battle [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I read several interviews that it would have some aerial fighting - some dogfights. And PJ loves them so they will be there..

But still.,. It wasn't special to me - just a rehash of the battles of LotR: with the fell beasts, picking up people.

I read that the aerial battle would be between the eagles and swarms of bats, so it will probably have a different feel from the fell beasts in Gondor. I'm guessing similar to the eagles and fell beasts at the Black Gate, but more in depth. I think it has potential.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 2:23am

Post #21 of 31 (143 views)
Shortcut
problem there is that they'll have to be careful with animals/monsters (as there are a LOT of them) and I don't want it to turn into a Narnia film battle .. // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 2:26am

Post #22 of 31 (144 views)
Shortcut
Yeah: [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm kinda not liking the fact that these Northern/Gundabad/Iron Hills orcs have so little armour, and what they do have is really bonkers and un-uniform.. the orcs loose some atmosphere as a result IMO

It's good that the orcs are so varied in design... but.. maybe too much so? They don't appear as one body anymore really,... more like a rabid freak show out ot get some action on those lil'dwarves... ..
Pirate

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 3:23am

Post #23 of 31 (147 views)
Shortcut
I've honestly always thought this would be the case [In reply to] Can't Post

Just because it's unbelievably awesome and picturing it in my head looks amazing.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Dwarf Cupcake
The Shire

Mar 6 2013, 6:21am

Post #24 of 31 (126 views)
Shortcut
Weren't Pickups [In reply to] Can't Post

for DOS and TABA supposed to start in May? That's winter time in New Zealand. Makes sense then if you want to have lots of snow around when you're filming snowy battle scenes...

Not All those who wander are lost...

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 6 2013, 9:13am

Post #25 of 31 (113 views)
Shortcut
Agreed ... but ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am slightly nervous that it won't live up to my expectations. I've always said how I find the battle a lot more thrilling than any in the LOTR books.

What if it's rubbish? Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.