Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #6
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2013, 8:19pm

Post #1 of 44 (546 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #6 Can't Post

*Ro tiptoes in carrying a torch* Greetings, everyone! Welcome to Short Attention Span Theatre Quiz #6. Get your torches out and jackets on! It’s both dark and cold here, and we’ve got a hobbit to follow: this week’s chapter is A Thief in the Night. As always, each question is worth one point, and the quiz is indisputably CLOSED BOOK. Anyone caught peeking or cheating will have their toes held over the campfire until they squeal! Quiz closes in three days and I’ll post answers & results after that at some point.

Okay, ready? Who’s going to follow Bilbo with me? Vewy vewy qwietly…there be Elves about… *Ro tiptoes off after Bilbo*

1. What is Bilbo keeping wrapped in an old bundle of tattered oddments that he used as a pillow?

2. When he makes his escape, how does Bilbo get down from (and later, back up) the top of the wall at the Gate?

3. Some two hours after he escapes the Gate, Bilbo is sitting beside a warm fire in front of a large tent. With whom is he sitting?

4. When he’s sitting beside the fire discussing the situation with the person(s) identified in #3 above, what is the first thing that Bilbo pulls out of the pocket of his old jacket?

5. The chapter closes with Bilbo asleep and dreaming. Of what does he dream?

Answers & Results for SAST Quiz #5 here.

elevorn
Lorien

Mar 4 2013, 8:58pm

Post #2 of 44 (330 views)
Shortcut
Okay here we go.. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What is Bilbo keeping wrapped in an old bundle of tattered oddments that he used as a pillow?
The Arkenstone of Thrain

2. When he makes his escape, how does Bilbo get down from (and later, back up) the top of the wall at the Gate?
He climbs a rope I believe

3. Some two hours after he escapes the Gate, Bilbo is sitting beside a warm fire in front of a large tent. With whom is he sitting?
Bard and Thranduil, called the Elven King

4. When he’s sitting beside the fire discussing the situation with the person(s) identified in #3 above, what is the first thing that Bilbo pulls out of the pocket of his old jacket?
The Arkenstone again

Bagend

I know its only been since just before Christmas since I read this but one thing pushes out another as they say.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

CuriousG
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 9:04pm

Post #3 of 44 (325 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Arkenstone
2. A ladder
3. Bard and Thranduil? Gandalf? The Tooth Fairy?
4. The contract from Thorin & Co. that specifies his employment and payment.
5. Being back in Bag End? Or eating fried dragon wings with marshmallows?

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 9:20pm

Post #4 of 44 (316 views)
Shortcut
Oooh! More fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Bilbo is keeping his teddy dwarf hidden from everyone. It looks too much like Thorin.

2)He has his handy-dandy Jet pack.

3)Smokey the Bear. Smokey wants to be sure there are no forest fires!

4)He takes out his fire extinguisher to reassure Smokey.

5)He dreams Smokey has a jet pack too and they go flying together.

Okay, this is getting seriously silly. Um, I guess that's an oxymoron, but seriously, it is silly!

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 4 2013, 9:29pm

Post #5 of 44 (314 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear- you have made it more tricksy... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) What is Bilbo keeping wrapped in an old bundle of tattered oddments that he used as a pillow?
Thorin?! No, think it was the Arkenstone (wouldn't that have been a bit lumpy in a pillow?)

2) When he makes his escape, how does Bilbo get down from (and later back up) the top of the wall at the Gate?
He cruelly cons Bombur into thinking that he (Bilbo) is going to do his watch duty for him. When Bombur goes off for a kip, Bilbo puts on the ring and goes down a rope (Made of Thorin's hair, which Bilbo has been cunningly collecting from Thorin's hairbrush for just such a purpose).
3) Some two hours after he escapes the Gate, Bilbo is sitting beside a warm fire in front of a large tent. With whom is he sitting? Definitely not Thorin this time. Thranduil and Bard. Wasn't Gandalf also around somewhere but Bilbo thinks he is an old beggar or something?
4) When he's sitting beside the fire discussing the situation with the person(s) identified in#3 above, what is the first thing that Bilbo pulls out of the pocket of his old jacket?
Glove puppet Thorin! Can't remember if it's the contract or the Arkenstone- do I get half a point if one of them is correct?? I know he shows both, but can't remember which was first
5) The chapter closes with Bilbo asleep and dreaming. Of what does he dream?
Thorin or Thorin's hair!! He has a dream in which Thorin finds out about the Arkenstone and goes mad. He tosses his hair around which takes on a life of its own and his tresses suffocate and strangle Bilbo! Bilbo wakes with a start and.... Otherwise I don't know

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

GwaihirWindLord

Mar 4 2013, 9:30pm

Post #6 of 44 (316 views)
Shortcut
Is it cheating to look at other's posts before answering? [In reply to] Can't Post

I always try not to scroll down before I answer, because I'm afraid I'll see something I didn't know the answer to

1. Dun dun dun duh! The Arkenstone! Although that seriously can't be comfortable!

2. Nobody gives him a boost, that's for sure! A ladder? Some stacked boxes or rocks? A magical talking raven? Oh wait, was it a tree or bush next to the wall? Ugh, I just cannot remember for certain. Ok, I'll succumb, it was Thorin's hair, Rapunzel style

3. Gandalf, Thranduil and Bard. Or just Bard and Thranduil. Or maybe just Bard and Gandalf...I know it was the important people. Dain wasn't there yet, and he wouldn't have been outside the gate. The Master of Lake-town wouldn't trek all the way up the mountain would he?

4. A pocket handkerchief from Lake-town! And the one ring! And then the Arkenstone. Also, Thorin's hair. He had a Gimli-Galadriel obsession going on with it, similar to some (all) on this thread

5. His nice warm hobbit hole, with a kettle on the fire and something tasty in the frying pan. Maybe sitting in his garden in the sun, with a lovely breakfast spread. Makes me wish I had dreams like that! Mine are full of weird things like Marie Antoinette wigs on lizards that sing.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 4 2013, 10:07pm

Post #7 of 44 (302 views)
Shortcut
*Flexes fingers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Here we go ...

1) The Arkenstone (I've always thought it can't have been a very comfy pillow).
2) I think he found a gap? I can't remember this at all.
3) Gandalf!
4) A pipe.
5) Bag End, and home, and the Shire, and all things nice.

Storm clouds

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2013, 10:17pm

Post #8 of 44 (299 views)
Shortcut
*gets ready to hold GWL's toes over the campfire* [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
Yes, that would be peeking! *Ro glares sternly over her quizmistress glasses* I take it you have your default setting on expanded rather than threaded, so when you open a post you see the whole thread instead of just that post? If so, you'll just have to use your Eagle Scout's Honor and not look down. Otherwise, we're going to have to subject you to all sorts of inventive punishments... *Ro cackles evilly*

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 4 2013, 10:20pm

Post #9 of 44 (313 views)
Shortcut
Time to bring it [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Some maggoty bread?
2. Real elvish rope?
3. Whom? Saar-u-monnn.
4. The One Ring?
5. He dreamed he saw a great wave climbing over green lands and above the hills. He stood upon the brink.
It was utterly dark in the abyss before his feet. A light shone behind him but he could not turn. He could only stand there, waiting.

Hmmm with the exception of number 4 I have the feeling I've got the wrong story. Wait... d'oh.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 4 2013, 11:44pm

Post #10 of 44 (303 views)
Shortcut
A modified Slinker and Stinker? [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, that's what Thorin eventually thinks ;)

A LUMPY pillow, I might add... hiding the Arkenstone.

He did what Sam does best... uses a rope.

The local leaders of Elves and Men... Bard and Thranduil. Someone else is nearby, but keeps to himself for the moment.

The lump from his pillow... the Arkenstone wrapped all up.

Home, bed, food, a warm fire. At least, that's what I would be dreaming of ;)

Thanks so much, Ro! I just LOVE this part of the story. *sigh*

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 4 2013, 11:45pm)

ryouko
Lorien

Mar 5 2013, 12:24am

Post #11 of 44 (303 views)
Shortcut
answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Scripts for Sherlock season 3. He was trying to memorize his lines by osmosis.

2. He takes the elevator.

3. Harry and Hermione, but they disappeared the next day.

4. His hand

5. It was a slash fic dream written by giggling fanfic writer, and featured a nekkid Thorin. Bilbo woke up screaming in horror.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Mar 5 2013, 1:48am

Post #12 of 44 (283 views)
Shortcut
Answers #6 [In reply to] Can't Post

The Arkenstone. And a plushie.

He climbs the wall.

Thranduil

The Arkestone.

He dreams of being a rock star.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2013, 2:08am

Post #13 of 44 (280 views)
Shortcut
Sixth EVAH [In reply to] Can't Post

The Arkenstone. Brought to you by Tempurpedic of Rivendell: for more than just A Short Rest.

Climbs down the rock wall (and back up). Not sure what his bouldering skill level was, it must have been pretty high.

Bard and Elvenking. Perhaps better known affectionately as "the Shakespeare" and "But you don't LOOK anything like Elvis Presley?!"

The Arkenstone. Brought to you by Members Only of Rivendell: for more than just A Short Vest.

His Hobbit hole. (But when he returns there, betcha he'll start dreamin' of Rivendell in no time!)

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 2:47am

Post #14 of 44 (281 views)
Shortcut
Going for six [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The Arkenstone

2. Thorin's Elven made PJ's that have little dragons all over them.

3. Thranduril and Bard

4. Thorin's Letter

5. Bacon and Eggs

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2013, 3:01am

Post #15 of 44 (317 views)
Shortcut
Answers! [In reply to] Can't Post

A lock of Thorin's hair and his bargaining chip, also known as the Arkenstone. The hair provided a little padding to a very hard and lumpy pillow, and also it came in useful for the next question...

Remembering the old tale of Luthien, he'd been on the alert during every hair-combing and re-braiding party along the way and he'd gathered enough dwarf hair to weave himself a rope ladder of sorts, which he used for his secret expeditions.

Gandalf!

His pipe, for which Gandalf offered him a fill...which begs the question: we know where Saruman got his secret stock of pipeweed, but if Gandalf had been away from the Shire for so many years before the start of this adventure, where has he been getting his all these years? Does Galadriel grow it for him in Lorien? Does he go raiding gardens in Minas Tirith for Sweet Galenas plants? Inquiring minds want to know.

As we all know, dreams in Middle-earth are apt to be prophetic as often as not, and Bilbo's dream was, though he could not understand it......

He dreamt he was walking in a strange land. It seemed to be composed of words and letters and strange symbols rather than rock and stone and tree. He could not make out where he was, but a certain pattern of letters appeared over and over and he found himself thinking of it as the TORNlands. As he wandered there, trying to make sense of the words and images which swirled about him, he saw a group of human women, each sitting before what seemed like a glowing window and talking and singing, seemingly to one another. As he drew near, he saw that each was clad in a garment which bore the words: I Heart Hot Dwarves.

And this is like a fragment of their song, if it can be like their song without their music*:

I dream of Thorin with the dark brown hair
Borne, like a vapor, on the summer air
I see him bathing where the bright streams play
Happy as the daisies that dance on his way
Many were the wild notes his merry voice would pour
Many were the blithe birds that warbled them o'er
Oh! I dream of Thorin with the dark brown hair
Floating, like a vapor, on the soft, summer air

I long for Thorin with the day-dawn smile
Majestic in gladness, warm with winning guile
I hear his melodies, like joys gone by
Sighing round my heart o'er the fond hopes that die
Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again
Oh! I long for Thorin, and my heart bows low
Never more to find him where the River Running flows

I sigh for Thorin, but his fair form did fall
And rests with his fathers below his lofty halls
His smiles have vanished and his sweet songs flown
Flitting like the dreams that have cheered us and gone
Now Orcrist all aglow guards him e'er in his rest
While the Arkenstone lies asleep on his breast
Oh! I sigh for Thorin with the dark brown hair
Floating like a vapor, on the soft summer air

.....And then he woke. He lay sleepless and uneasy for some time after this, trying to imagine what might be the meaning of this strange vision, especially since the Thorin he knew was grey and hasty-tempered and quite pompous and had probably never sung blithely among the daisies in his life.

But at last he grew drowsy again, and slept, and this time he dreamt of being at home in Bag End, without any dwarves or strange human women to trouble him, except that there was something he could not find though he searched for it. It was not a good night, and Bilbo resolved henceforth not to participate in any more cram-eating and ale-quaffing contests just before bedtime.

* Parody of I Dream of Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair by Stephen Foster

Silverlode

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2013, 3:16am

Post #16 of 44 (276 views)
Shortcut
Easy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Riiight...but I've brought marshmallows to roast, does that count? Angelic

Some apples that he'd picked up in Lake-town. He'd get hungry in the middle of the night, and liked to have a snack handy. They were also great for teasing Fili.
(The Arkenstone.)

Elrond had given him enough handkerchiefs that he could tie them together and shimmy down.
(A ladder.)

The Lake-town Boy Scouts. With the armies of Men and Elves nearby, it was considered safe enough for them to earn their Extreme Wilderness Camp-out badges.
(Bard and the Elven-king. And assorted guards.)

Hm, it's either another one of Elrond's handkerchiefs (Bilbo was still sneezing) or the Arkenstone. I'll go with the handkerchief, since those play such an important part in the narrative.

Raindrops on roses, and whiskers on Thorin...no, I think he dreams of his comfy hobbit-hole.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2013, 3:27am

Post #17 of 44 (268 views)
Shortcut
*mods up and hands out tissues* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 5 2013, 4:08am

Post #18 of 44 (276 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. A lock of Thorin's hair. (The Arkenstone.)

2. Spidey skills. (A rope.)

3. The Ghost of Breakfasts Past. Plus Gandalf, the Elf King and Bard.

4. A magic trick that involves a thimble, an eyelash curler and a tin of tuna paste. (The Arkenstone.)

5. Tauriel with hairy feet.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 5 2013, 4:08am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 5 2013, 4:11am

Post #19 of 44 (294 views)
Shortcut
That's it - Silverlode's won this one. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 5 2013, 8:22am

Post #20 of 44 (273 views)
Shortcut
And my answers are... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hair obsession rising... rising... Ok, here we go:

1. Clearly, a lock of Thorin's hair that he secretly cut off while Thorin was sleeping. Or perhaps he stole Bofur's hat? No, I guess it was just the Arkenstone.

2. Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair! Had to be Rapunzel because Thorin was not supposed to know that Bilbo was sneaking out, so it could not be *his* hair, could it? Plus, I think Thorin's hair would not have been long enough to climb all the ways down. No, ok, it was a rope (which may or may not have been made of hair, Thorin's or otherwise).

3. With Thranduil, the Elvenking, who has lovely hair, too, I'm sure, but not as nice as Thorin's. And Bard was there, too (nothing is known about his hair). And was Gandalf there as well? I'm not sure. Now, Gandalf's hair is nothing to brag about in any case.

4. His lock of Thorin's hair! Actually, it might have been the letter/contract thing that he signed at the start. Or possibly the Arkenstone?

5. Of running his fingers through Thorin's hair. Or possibly Fili's, because, actually, his hair is quite nice as well, isn't it? Since he's a Hobbit, though, he was dreaming of food, bacon and eggs, I think. Getting hungry myself now.

That's it. Hair obsession subsiding... slightly.

sador
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 8:52am

Post #21 of 44 (286 views)
Shortcut
Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

A question I don't know the answer to... or at least, am not sure. I'll check it later,

Matches for his torch (he lost his own in the goblin-caves, but replenished them in Esgaroth), and a tattered banner he was given for keepsake. Not that he approves of all this military insignia - he just needs it for a mathom. But he doesn't like fighting at all. No precious.

Us and Them
And after all we're only ordinary men
Me, and you
God only knows it's not what we would choose to do

Ah yes, and speaking of banners - there was also the Arkenstone. But he wasn't given it for keepsake - he rather appropriated it by his usual method of "Finders Keepers".

Sends Bombur to sleep, puts on Ring, and scrambles up and down the wall - looking carefully to see where he lands. IIRC he made a rope of his bundle - which was quite a risk, seeing that he took no torch, and scarcely dared to breath!

Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care
Leave but don't leave me
Look around, choose your own ground

Well, I supposed he did care - which was what mattered.

Two hours! It seemed like twenty minutes. Ah, the relentless clock...

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way...

Anyway, the sentries extinguished theur torches - but at the camp he had a nice fire, with Bard, the Elvenking and a mysterious old man for company.

You mean, after the well-used handkerchief? Ah - but he took it out before, after he scrambled out of the river and was sneezing uncontrollably. The torch gave light, but not enough heat to dry him.
But somehow, the contract Thorin provided him with was still dry and well-preserved - so Bilbo got it out and waved it in front of their eager noses! Then he started bad-mouthing his employers.

Money, it's a crime
Share it fairly / But don't take a slice of my pie
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a rise / it's no surprise
That they're giving none away

After that he made his proposal - but you didn't ask about that. (Why not? I knew the answer Frown)

Here I'm stumped. But he began the chapter with wishing for the feel of grass under his feet:

The lunatic is on the grass
The lunatic is on the grass
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs
Got to keep the loonies on the path
The lunatic is in the hall...

So I suspect he was dreaming on being back at home, and having breakfast. In fact, I'm pretty sure he was - but I dodn't know which breakfast. Eggs and bacon?

(Yes, and it has been fourty years. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with themed answers - but this one couldn't be ignored)

sador
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 8:58am

Post #22 of 44 (260 views)
Shortcut
It's actually pretty similar to the Lament for Boromir, too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5 2013, 10:20am

Post #23 of 44 (252 views)
Shortcut
*sticks lit bic up* BRAVO!!!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2013, 10:51am

Post #24 of 44 (271 views)
Shortcut
Any similarity to actual Tolkien laments was purely accidental.... [In reply to] Can't Post

As a matter of fact, all I was trying to do was think of a way to work Thorin's hair into Bilbo's dream, and once the words "Dream" and "hair" reminded me of the song, it just became inevitable. Hardly any tweaking required.

Silverlode

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2013, 11:17am

Post #25 of 44 (260 views)
Shortcut
You're definitely "in the Pink"... [In reply to] Can't Post

Floyd, that is! Laugh

(*makes note to locate Ummagumma vinyl album and play it again*)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.