Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
anyone else besides me checking boxofficemojo.com to see the likelihood that the hobbit will remain in theaters at least one more week?

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2013, 11:33pm

Post #1 of 20 (458 views)
Shortcut
anyone else besides me checking boxofficemojo.com to see the likelihood that the hobbit will remain in theaters at least one more week? Can't Post

when i saw it the first time, i didn't have an inkling how many times i would see it (many).

the more i saw it, the more i got out of it. there was something new to be had at each successive viewing. and the more i saw it, the more i loved this band of dwarves.

i discovered boxofficemojo.com, and i've been monitoring the returns. each week it's in fewer theaters, but it still is doing almost as well as each previous week, despite each week its theater run is cut by half.

i check because i'm hoping that each week/weekend's box office will be good enough for the decision makers at my local theater to keep it around for another week.

so far, so good, but i think it might have seen its last weekend. and that's a disappointment, as i definitely want to see it agaain.

this movie. harumph.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 12:11am

Post #2 of 20 (264 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i'd be surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

if it's in any theaters in my area this week-end. I hope so; i'd like to check it out just one more time...

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 12:20am

Post #3 of 20 (249 views)
Shortcut
in defense of my hopes... [In reply to] Can't Post

in defense of my hopes, twilight: breaking dawn is still in 180 theaters, and it's been out four weeks longer than the hobbit.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2013, 12:34am

Post #4 of 20 (245 views)
Shortcut
Nope, but I am checking our local theatres [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been playing in our city for a few weeks now just in one theatre, but in 3D HFR on their hugest screen with the best sound. Last week they showed it only on the weekend (once each day), but I just found out they'll be doing that again this coming weekend. Yay!!! Unfortunately, I absolutely can't go either day at the time it's showing. Sadness. Fingers crossed it'll have good enough attendance for them to keep it one more weekend after this. I'm so pleased they're not just relegating it to their smallest screen and showing it in 2D; they're presenting it as it was meant to be seen, in all its spectacular glory, and it seems to be paying off for them. I bet there were 200 people in the audience when I saw it there on Sunday.

Welcome to TORn, Maciliel, and I do hope you get to see it in a theater again! Sounds like you're pretty smitten with the dwarves. You've come to the right place here. Smile

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 12:47am

Post #5 of 20 (246 views)
Shortcut
oh yes, quite taken [In reply to] Can't Post

by dwarvish charms.

(thank you for the kind welcome, roheryn. : ) )

i feel quite an affinity with them. everything from the hair (my hair was quite... dwarvish when i was growing up, though it has since calmed down a bit.. still on the wild side) to the search for a home.

+so+ jealous (but happy for you) that your city still has 3d hfr! i got to see it the last day (last week) it was showing in the big city in 3d hfr, and i was +so+ incredibly tired (from a very long week), i really wasn't awake enough to really appreciate it, but some of the hfr glory got through. i thought it was +amazing+. the eagles especially. and the burning embers floating in the air during the pine tree/warg fight looked as real as any i've enjoyed over a campfire. and i literally moved my head to get out of the way when the goblins were firing off arrows at kili. amazing.

there's still one theater in my state (one in the whole state) that's playing it, and it's nearby, thankfully. it's 2d, but the screen is huge and the images are lush and crisp. i've seen it at so many different theaters... it really does make a difference at what theater you see it. 2d at another theater looked horribly fuzzy and dark. it was rather terrible there. i gave feedback to the management, and the response was "how could the picture look fuzzy, it's digital?" well, i don't know, but it did.

i notice something new every time. the hobbit is sort of like gosford part, but with dwarves. and aa hobbit.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2013, 1:05am

Post #6 of 20 (232 views)
Shortcut
It's gone from my local theaters... [In reply to] Can't Post

but has appeared in my local second-run theater, so with luck I'll get to see it another time or two, though not in HFR or 3D, alas.

Silverlode

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 1:13am

Post #7 of 20 (227 views)
Shortcut
i'm hoping that when they release TDOS in december [In reply to] Can't Post

that they will re-run AUJ. in +hfr+.

i got to see the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy this way (2x) in the theater. big screen does have its impact.

alienorchid
Lorien

Mar 5 2013, 3:09am

Post #8 of 20 (211 views)
Shortcut
It's a shame you won't be able to go! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fingers crossed for another couple of screenings after this weekend. I'm not sure if I will be able to go, since it clashes with Armageddon (actually seeing the Hobbit stars in the flesh beats seeing it in the cinema, this time!) and I'm going to a rarebreeds auction on Sunday.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 3:11am

Post #9 of 20 (210 views)
Shortcut
Sadly [In reply to] Can't Post

It's gone here already :(

No go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/12

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 5 2013, 3:17am

Post #10 of 20 (204 views)
Shortcut
Yes, gone. My Precious is gone. [In reply to] Can't Post

This past weekend I wandered into the theater complex, took one look at the list of what movies were playing, and walked back to my car. sigh. Some who wander are indeed lost. double sigh.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 3:23am

Post #11 of 20 (198 views)
Shortcut
a little over 9 months away [In reply to] Can't Post

::sigh:: Well we have the DVD in a couple of weeks. Come on PJ, don't be stingy with the VBlogs!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 3:41am

Post #12 of 20 (200 views)
Shortcut
at least i'll know for TDOS that hfr is worth seeing [In reply to] Can't Post

and i'll be able to give it its due, along with the other formats (saw them all -- i thought the one that was least compelling was the straight-up 3d).

another week!

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Mar 5 2013, 3:42am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 4:19am

Post #13 of 20 (188 views)
Shortcut
you totally should check it out [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked it, but I liked all the formats, each in it's own way. I liked IMAX 3D the best, followed by HFR 3D then the vanilla 2D. All of it was good though. I liked all of it.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 5:54am

Post #14 of 20 (180 views)
Shortcut
You are going to a rare breeds auction? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the Willowbank one? And are you just looking, or planning on buying?
So many questions!

(This post was edited by Starling on Mar 5 2013, 5:56am)

alienorchid
Lorien

Mar 5 2013, 7:04am

Post #15 of 20 (171 views)
Shortcut
Haha yes, the one at Willowbank! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm volunteering there - not quite sure what I'll be doing, anything from helping in the auction itself to just making sure the animals are happy and have plenty of water. It means I will get free entry! I love animals and I can't waaait!

I wish I could be two places at once, though, since I'd love to see TH again. Fingers crossed for the weekend after! 6 viewings is not enough.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 10:26pm

Post #16 of 20 (111 views)
Shortcut
Less than before. It has hit most of the milestones I was anticipating and checking on. [In reply to] Can't Post

301 million domestic, over 1 billion international. There really aren't any more likely milestones of importance for it to reach before leaving theateres. A few dozen to a couple hundred will keep it right through the DVD release here in the states, but I wouldn't expect more than that, and at this point it doesn't need it.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 10:35pm

Post #17 of 20 (106 views)
Shortcut
I was pulling for it to [In reply to] Can't Post

pass Skyfall for 4th on the 2012 domestic list, but it doesn't look like it's going to be able to manage that.

imin
Valinor

Mar 6 2013, 1:05am

Post #18 of 20 (94 views)
Shortcut
over 1 billion dollars [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah it's miles over, lol. Only joking.

I think it has done what was expected prior to the films release. i think the relatively poor reviews combined with less than perfect marketing didn't help. If they sort the marketing and gain better reviews for DOS i can see it making more at around 1.2 billion/thousand million.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 6 2013, 6:42am

Post #19 of 20 (106 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't Willowbank supply some animal actors for The Hobbit? Surely this means that although you will miss the movie this weekend, you will be hob-nobbing with goats or pigs or ponies or poultry or cattle which may be famous or know famous animals. Cool

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2013, 11:13am

Post #20 of 20 (114 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Stinky! [In reply to] Can't Post

Stinky the goat, that is. He and some of their other critters went off on their own Unexpected Journey, and came back again. I figure he must be somewhere in the Shire; I'm planning on trying to spot him once we've got the DVD -- though maybe he'll be on the EE instead.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.