Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The little scences/shots you love the most...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Mar 4 2013, 8:54pm

Post #1 of 42 (1042 views)
Shortcut
The little scences/shots you love the most... Can't Post

For me, I find the conversation between Gandalf and Galadriel on the balcony enthralling. The shot of Galdriels hand pulling away from Gandalf's is a beautiful shot in my opinion. Any of your favourite shots?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2013, 10:28pm

Post #2 of 42 (591 views)
Shortcut
For me, the stand-out moment of AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

is when Gandalf saves the company in Goblintown. The shot of Gandalf's blast of light is the coolest thing in the whole movie, and the only moment in AUJ that compared to the many great moments in LotR. Well, i also really liked the shot of the Trolls stone-ifying into their FotR positions. And i like it when Bofur stands during the singing of 'Misty Mountais Cold'.

Skaan
Lorien

Mar 4 2013, 10:50pm

Post #3 of 42 (519 views)
Shortcut
Smaug in the opening scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like that shot where you see Smaug trashing around in the piles of gold in the opening scene.

dik-dik
Lorien

Mar 4 2013, 10:58pm

Post #4 of 42 (504 views)
Shortcut
*Little* scene? The thrush all the way! ^ ^ [In reply to] Can't Post

It has so much of the feeling of the book for me that I loved it despite its shortness.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Dwarf Cupcake
The Shire

Mar 4 2013, 11:01pm

Post #5 of 42 (500 views)
Shortcut
Ack! [In reply to] Can't Post

You want me to choose just one?! There are so many! And it changes with each viewing...Ask me again when I've watched the DVD a few times, maybe then I'll have an answer. Maybe...

Not All those who wander are lost...

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2013, 11:16pm

Post #6 of 42 (503 views)
Shortcut
How do we love thee? Let us count the ways. [In reply to] Can't Post

Love these threads. I always have so much fun reading through everyone’s favourite bits.

There are so many moments I look for every time, and there’s no way I can choose one favourite.

I suppose my two über-favorites are both with Thorin:

Thorin’s entrance into Bag End, from the moment the door opens and he turns his head towards us. He walks in with all the regal confidence of a king; not only are we, the audience, riveted on him, but so is everyone in Bag End. His charisma and status are almost palpable. And all this while admitting he got lost twice! I love his smile at (offscreen) Kili, and the way he hands Kili his cloak without even looking at Kili (the bond between them is so clear). IFTSMMOP!

Next is Thorin leaning against the mantle in Bag End singing Misty Mountains. I seriously still hold my breath for that. The firelight sets just the right tone, and the humming is almost otherworldly. Whoever wrote that song is a genius, especially since I suspect the humming was inspired by the line in the book about Bilbo falling asleep to Thorin humming. That whole scene gives me goosebumps. The king-in-exile and his loyal followers, singing hauntingly of their quest and the dragon’s fire. IFTSMMOP, again!

Other favorites? Really, from the moment we see Dwalin’s shadow on the door, through Bilbo running down the hill in Hobbiton. I love Dwalin’s entrance (“Do we know each other?” “No!”); Bilbo’s huge uncomfortableness as Dwalin eats his supper; Balin’s warm and kindly entrance; Balin and Dwalin discussing the moldy cheese and tossing it on the floor. Fili’s and Kili’s entrance is even better: Fili swaggers in like he OWNS the place, and Kili’s wide-eyed enthusiasm for everything is just infectious. I love how Kili calls Dwalin “Mister Dwalin” and puts his arm around him. Bilbo’s hugely exasperated “Gandalf!” when all the Dwarves fall in. Bilbo’s wonderful befuddlement as the party arrangements go on around him. The Blunt the Knives sequence – brilliant. Ori looking at Fili and Kili at the start of that song thinking, “Yeah, these are the COOL cousins!” Bofur’s lines about balls, and furnaces with wings. The quiet, heartfelt moment between Balin and Thorin: an almost-king with his trusted advisor and old friend; we learn so much about Thorin, his motivations and values, in that too-short scene. The sparks going out the chimney when Misty Mountains ends. Bilbo’s wild enthusiasm as he races through Hobbiton to go on an Adventure: who among us does not remember feeling like that sometime, as a child? And all the inbetween-bits too that I left out.

Two more that aren’t likely to get mentioned much: the way Kili is completely crestfallen and deflated after Thorin chastises him for teasing Bilbo about orcs. Kili gives up on whatever he was doing to his pipe and just sits there for the rest of the scene; for once, his enthusiasm is totally gone. His uncle’s approval clearly means so much to him.

Next is when Fili and Kili lose the ponies and get Bilbo to go investigate the trolls. Those rascals! Their mock innocence is hilarious: “It’s perfectly safe, we’ll be right behind you.” And then they disappear. Presumably into the bushes to watch Bilbo and the trolls as a sort of tv-for-young-dwarves while they eat their soup.

My other favorites are likely to get mentioned by others, so I’ll stop here before I need a publisher!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 4 2013, 11:34pm

Post #7 of 42 (488 views)
Shortcut
Thorin of course is magnificent in EVERY shot... [In reply to] Can't Post

But, I must admit that one of the moments I really look forward to are in Riddles in the Dark, when Gollum jumps up on the rock for the first riddle - right where he says "....never grows!" I am just floored with how alive, engaged and like Andy he looks! It's just fantastic.

And I must mention one Thorin moment specifically - when he leads the guard with Thrain out to face Smaug, Sigh.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2013, 12:09am

Post #8 of 42 (459 views)
Shortcut
There are a few [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked Gandalf's blast of light in Goblin Town. I also really like the scene of the wargs charging the trees towards the end. I thought it was bad-ass Wink Also, the entrance of Saruman.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 12:48am

Post #9 of 42 (455 views)
Shortcut
LOVED this moment! On SO Many Levels. [In reply to] Can't Post

The great blast flinging the goblins in every direction, destroying their massive torture machine, the darkness and silence that followed the mysterious arrival of the Wizard. . .It was epic, it was divine in a subtle way, and Wizardic in a wonderfully explicit way. It was a wonderful and powerful moment, and it also did a lot to make up for the instances of Gandalf using magic in the novels that were omitted from the Fellowship movie.

I don't agree that it was the only moment that compared well with Lord of The Rings.

The Erebor sequence was wonderful.

Balin's commentary on the dwarven dead and Thorin was wonderful, even if the living Azog, the altered history and the missing Balrog at the gates (well, we did see the fire) bothered me to no end.

The Unexpected Party was spot on, and the singing of the dwarven anthem was GLORIOUS, as good as many a great moment in Rings.

I loved PARTS of the Gandalf and Galadriel interaction, though I also strongly disliked that she seemed to be portrayed as his superior officer.

I also greatly enjoyed the departure from The Shire, and I rather liked the introduction of Radagast, though at some point they went to far into the weeds of silliness.

I liked the wargs better, period. I didn't care for the extended chase, or the fact that goblins were ALWAYS with them, undermining their horrifying independence, but they looked like actual, evil, demon infested wolves, rather than deformed hyena, and that was a GREAT improvement.

In Reply To
is when Gandalf saves the company in Goblintown. The shot of Gandalf's blast of light is the coolest thing in the whole movie, and the only moment in AUJ that compared to the many great moments in LotR. Well, i also really liked the shot of the Trolls stone-ifying into their FotR positions. And i like it when Bofur stands during the singing of 'Misty Mountais Cold'.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Mar 5 2013, 12:51am)

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 1:10am

Post #10 of 42 (418 views)
Shortcut
That's tough [In reply to] Can't Post

I really loved the movie and some did stand out more than others but I did like a whole lot more than I did not like.

I loved the prologue. That was so amazing! I hope Weta makes a Erebor environment.

Love initial meeting of Gandalf and Bilbo.

Love the Misty Mountain sequence.

Love Bilbo leaving to go on his adventure.

Despite changes to history I do like the battle scene.

Really like Goblin Town.

As a whole I just love the movie and after years of waiting I couldn't be happier.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 2:54am

Post #11 of 42 (404 views)
Shortcut
My favs [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Good Morning....that whole sequence between Gandalf and Bilbo is awesome. Love the way Freeman waves his pipe and says "all of them at once I suppose".
2) Bilbo's running our the door to go on his adventure
3) Thorin's, "There's no other choice Balin, not for me"
4) Loyalty, Honor and a Willing Heart I can ask no more than that
5) Misty Mountains. Enough Said
6) Give him a pony!
7) Is he a really great wizard..or is he more like you?"
8) You'll need a lot more than sage before you can plate that lot up
9) He's got worms in his...tubes ... So Martin Freeman. LOL.
10) All of Riddles in the Dark. All of it
11) The sparing of Gollum by Bilbo. Perhaps my single favorite scene. This is the fulcrum on which the entire LOTR story turns. It is key to the entire story and I just love Freeman's face as he sees Gollum and spares him.
12) Bofur's "you're one of us" before they fall into Gobin town then his "no you're right..we don't belong anywhere
13) Bilbo's talk with Thorin about why he returned. "..And that's why I came back..because you don't have one...a home...but I will help you take it back if I can".

Oh heck. I love the whole darned movie. Bother.

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 5 2013, 2:59am

Post #12 of 42 (389 views)
Shortcut
So many scenes I loved and so little space! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll try to keep it to just sort of snapshot moments rather than entire sequences or I'll be recounting the entire film! So here are just a few of mine, trying not to duplicate what's already been said.

1) Everything Ro said about Thorin!
2) And in addition: Thorin's "There are a few warriors yet amongst us." The look in his eyes and his little smile at Balin...just wonderful.
3) And his sad and resigned, "There is no choice, Balin. Not for me."
4) Bilbo's little "Mmmmph" whine as he opens the door and sees Fili and Kili.
5) Bilbo's little gesture with his hand, saying "Not in the slightest,"as he follows with his eyes the piece of cheese that Dwalin has just hefted out of the pantry.
6) Bilbo's completely child-like smile as he pats his pony Myrtle on the face, giving her the apple, and his "Shhh. You must tell no one!"
7) Thorin's face as he turns towards the company after Balin has said, "There is one I could call King."
8) The Goblin King (I really love him) as he says, "Who would be so bold (spitting) as to come armed into MY kingdom? Spies? Thieves? Assassins?" And of course the little goblin's response, "Dwarves, your Malevolence."
9) Gollum's mirroring of Bilbo's "Let's have a game of riddles. Just...just...just the two of us," when he says, "Just...just...just us?"
10) Gollum falling over on his side after he has lost the game. So perfect. That Andy Serkis!
11) The one moment when the eagles are flying carrying the company to the Carrock,and we see Gandalf astride his eagle's neck followed by the one carrying Thorin. That scene is just incredible for me...especially in 3D HFR! Gah!
12) The Thorin/Bilbo hug. Yup I know. It's hated by some, but I love it.
12.5) And finally, Bilbo's comment, "Yes, I think the worst is behind us." And you know how wrongwrongwrong he is!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2013, 3:02am

Post #13 of 42 (405 views)
Shortcut
"His eye was set on another prize" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And I must mention one Thorin moment specifically - when he leads the guard with Thrain out to face Smaug, Sigh.

Did anyone else notice this? "His eye was set on another prize," says the narrator, and then the camera pans straight to Thorin leading out the guard.

Gold? Pfffft. Tongue We all know what prize Smaug was really after. Apparently he's just a little nearsighted.Wink

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 3:29am

Post #14 of 42 (389 views)
Shortcut
****applause***** [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh nice, nice point Riven Delve! I can see how we all perhaps a bit of inner Smaug going on...faint wisps of smoke seen in theaters everywhere with no explanation, now understood! Prize indeed!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 3:37am

Post #15 of 42 (362 views)
Shortcut
So true Ham Sammy [In reply to] Can't Post

reply to:

Oh heck. I love the whole darned movie. Bother.

I feel you. I went sparse, because if I start another list I'll be typing all night.

I love the Gandalf entrance in Goblintown too. I like how they used the deep, deep silence, to where the first time I saw it wondered if something had happened to the track - a similar effect they use for the ghastly light shooting up into the sky before the Witch King rides out in ROTK.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 3:41am

Post #16 of 42 (357 views)
Shortcut
That is so great [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, then the sound comes. Love that. And you're right it does remind of the Minas Morgul scene there...without the sickening green of course. But same kind of effect. Good catch.

No go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/12

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2013, 3:45am

Post #17 of 42 (384 views)
Shortcut
Little scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Everything at Bag End. (Hey, it's "little"!) I love, love, love that place and I want to live there. Heart I can never get enough of all the details and I can't wait to go over it on DVD frame by frame. So many little momentos propped up in odd places, little hints of Bilbo's personality, interesting knick-knacks, interesting food in the pantry (well, there was food in the pantry)...it just looks well lived-in, and well loved--which of course it is, not only by Bilbo but millions of Tolkien fans! It represents everything that is comforting about Middle-earth.

2.The Misty Mountains song. So beautiful, so meaningful, so evocative of all that is mysterious and dwarvish. I could listen to them sing for hours.

3. When Gollum loses the riddle game and then realizes he's lost the ring, and Bilbo stands back, holding Sting in front of him, and his hand trembles.

4. Erebor. We haven't seen much of the glory of dwarven kingdoms, so getting this peek into their culture in its prime is fascinating. (Plus, Thorin lives there. Angelic)

5. The sadness in Thorin's eyes in the hallway in Bag End when he and Balin have their quiet talk.

6. At the Bag End pantry: Dwallin: "It's supposed to be cheese. It's gone blue." Balin: "It's riddled with mold!" Dwalin: [throws cheese on floor].
I crack up every. single. time. (The only person in the theater doing so, by the way.)

7. Fili's smirk as he swaggers into Bag End. (That boy is growing on me!)

8. Balin: "And I thought to myself then, there is one who I could follow. There is one I could call king." I'm getting chills just typing that line.

9. Bilbo: "Bebother and confusticate these dwarves!" And everything else fidgety, fussy, rabbity, and outraged he does at Bag End.

10. Kili's face as the stone giants separate him from Fili.

11. Fili's scream "Thorin!" as the eagles are carrying them away. (And Thorin's majestic hair streaming out behind him...but I digress.)

12. The troll: "I don't know, but I don't like the way it wriggles around!" [throws Bilbo on ground in revulsion] (Again, the only person in the theater laughing my head off.)

13. "The young dwarf prince took work where he could find it, laboring in the villages of men. [shot of Thorin blacksmithing] But always, he remembered the mountain smoke beneath the moon, the trees like torches blazing bright, where he had seen dragon fire in the sky, and a city turn to ash. He never forgave and he never forgot."

14. Blunt the Knives song with accompanying choreography

15. Bofur: "You're right, we don't belong anywhere." And Thorin's face as he overhears.

16. Balin: "He stood alone against this terrible foe. His armor rent, wielding nothing but an oaken branch as a shield." Again, the goosebumps!

Well, I've got lots more, but I'll stop there for now! Blush

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 3:47am

Post #18 of 42 (362 views)
Shortcut
I love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love when he says "It's gone blue". HAHA! Great line.
And Bilbo's "I'm sorry" and Balin's "Apology accepted".

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 3:49am

Post #19 of 42 (355 views)
Shortcut
Left one out [In reply to] Can't Post

I also loved the white council stuff. The whole freaking thing. Cool

lurtz2010
Rohan

Mar 5 2013, 3:54am

Post #20 of 42 (363 views)
Shortcut
moments [In reply to] Can't Post

When they officially begin the adventure with Gandalf's voice over talking about home is behind the world ahead, the music and landscape shots gave me chills. It was the perfect way to start the journey.

When Balin says "weilding nothing but an oaken branch as a sheild" gives me huge chills too, something about the way he says it is so powerful lol.

Favourite shot would have to be during the attack on Dale just before it shows the girl looking at the burning doll there's a quick shot of Smaug blowing flames down past the camera into the street then when the fire hits a wall and rises up the camera follows it then you can see Smaug speed past overhead. If you missed that then look out for it next time, it's amazing...

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 4:00am

Post #21 of 42 (353 views)
Shortcut
Yes totally true [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Balin's voice there. It get's sort of shaky and feverish, you can feel the emotion in it.

Moahunter
Rohan

Mar 5 2013, 4:50am

Post #22 of 42 (347 views)
Shortcut
The dragon kite over Dale. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a touch of genius.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 4:55am

Post #23 of 42 (358 views)
Shortcut
Too funny [In reply to] Can't Post

When that came on the first time we saw the movie I had a friend who says "Please don't let that be Smaug" LOL. Too funny and yes that was brilliant.

GloryBox
Bree

Mar 5 2013, 5:32am

Post #24 of 42 (337 views)
Shortcut
"Up, up, up it goes..." [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree! Serkis/Gollum -- his body language, his voice -- just had me mesmerized with that first riddle.

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

GloryBox
Bree

Mar 5 2013, 5:45am

Post #25 of 42 (318 views)
Shortcut
It was indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder who gets the credit for that inspired thought during the development of the story? I loved it!
And btw, your avatar is wonderful!

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.