Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Yazneg/Azog Theory... a late addition?

Arandir
Gondor

Mar 4 2013, 8:06pm

Views: 723
Shortcut
The Yazneg/Azog Theory... a late addition? Can't Post

A while back, I read somewhere on these forums that Azog was a late addition in AUJ ... hence the "rushed" feeling in some of the scenes. Can anyone confirm this?
I guess the clues seem to indicate that this was the case - considering that in calendars, official guides and visual companions there's absolutely no reference to him (but rather to Bolg).

Now, just a few weeks ago, we were treated to a behind the scenes look at the VFX work done on the film. It is clear by now that at least Azog's appearance DID indeed change at the last minute when during the making of feature we can clearly see the orc known as Yazneg, battling against Thorin - (with WETA later replacing him with a mo-capped Manu Bennett).
This got me thinking ... could it possibly be that most of the scenes featuring Yazneg, were actually the way Azog was meant to make his introduction in AUJ? With the exact same dialogue and all?

If we go back right after the scene of the flashback at Azanulbizar, we see Yazneg and his scouts finding the "Dwarf-scum" and that they will be informing the "Master". The first time I saw that at the cinema, I thought it was some reference to Sauron. However, considering the last minute Azog-appearance change, could that scene have originally been presented as Azog himself (post-flashback) witnessing the dwarves and reporting to the Master?

And what if the "Master" was an initial reference to one of the Nazgul?

Think about it ... right after Yazneg leads the attack unto the Company and are repelled by the Elven archers, the orc reports back to his "Master" at Weathertop. Could it be that previously, PJ's original intention (before Azog's appearance-change) was to have Azog (now Yazeng) report to the Nazgul (perhaps the Witch-King)?

It would fit in well with the following scenes of the White Council and the revelation that what its members are discussing is actually the Ringwraith Azog just a few scenes earlier reported to ... (obviously the Weathertop scene were Yazneg meet's his end would have had to be changed later on to fit in with the alterations)

As a side note (though not completely):
I also always felt that the final scene were the company is attacked in the pine forest, Azog and his group seems to have been added later in the picture ... I'm not sure why but it might boil down to three reasons:

1) I was eagerly expecting a "Warg Meeting" before Thorin and Co. are discovered

2) Bilbo's sword Sting fails to glow many times during the warg attack

3) There seems to be quite a big chunk between Azog ordering the attack on the Company and when he finally comes within view of Thorin

All these led me to believe that somehow, the Warg Meeting was cut and a new Azog scene pasted before the Warg attack - hence the slight discrepancies ...

Not sure how this last point fits in with the whole topic, but thought I'd write it down just the same!Laugh

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Subject User Time
The Yazneg/Azog Theory... a late addition? Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Mar 4 2013, 8:06pm
    Your Azog theory makes sense. Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Mar 4 2013, 8:22pm
    Check out the AUJ Movie Storybook... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Mar 4 2013, 8:28pm
        From the AUJ Movie Storybook Lio Send a private message to Lio Mar 5 2013, 2:55am
            Ah, right...Thanks for that! Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Mar 5 2013, 7:42am
            Many thanks to both of you ... Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Mar 5 2013, 8:05am
    Here is a link to the thread you're referring to. Snatcher Send a private message to Snatcher Mar 4 2013, 8:33pm
        Cheers Snatcher // Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Mar 5 2013, 8:12am
    Azog was always planned Skaan Send a private message to Skaan Mar 4 2013, 8:37pm
        Azog was always going to be in the movie up to a point... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Mar 4 2013, 8:41pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.