Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
No title self-referentiality

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 7:26pm

Post #1 of 10 (482 views)
Shortcut
No title self-referentiality Can't Post

This is a bit of a petty observation, but I thought I'd point it out because it is fairly interesting (to me at least).

In many movies, including all of the LotR, a character will reference the title of the movie at some point in the story.

"...there is only one LORD OF THE RINGS only one who can bend it to his will"

"...so be it, you shall be THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING"

"... to stand against the might of Sauron and Saruman, in the union of THE TWO TOWERS"

"...authority is not given to you to deny THE RETURN OF THE KING"

I just found it interesting that Thorin says "so this is THE HOBBIT" but no-one at any point says "AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY" or did I miss it?

Maybe in the EEs? Where do you think it could fit in?

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Mar 4 2013, 7:27pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Mar 4 2013, 7:48pm

Post #2 of 10 (270 views)
Shortcut
I think Radagast could say the title [In reply to] Can't Post

when explaining what happened with DG and the sword to Gandalf.

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 4 2013, 7:56pm

Post #3 of 10 (265 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

this would feel a bit forced, especially considering it isn't referring to what the unexpected journey is (Bilb's journey).

But I feel like I heard it in the film somewhere...maybe I'm wrong. I know Bilbo said something about 'unexpected' right as the title comes up.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 8:01pm

Post #4 of 10 (241 views)
Shortcut
Ah, that's true... [In reply to] Can't Post

He may not say the title, but he does say "nothing unexpected ever happened" right as it appears, which is pretty darned close. It's a difficult title to say without it feeling forced

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 4 2013, 8:03pm

Post #5 of 10 (220 views)
Shortcut
Definitely the hardest without being forced. [In reply to] Can't Post

TABA is already said in FOTR, and TDOS will be easy for one of the Company to say.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 8:05pm

Post #6 of 10 (237 views)
Shortcut
Here's my attempt: [In reply to] Can't Post

"I don't have my handkerchief! I couldn't be expected to remember everything! This is rather AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY after all!"

Difficult but not impossible Cool

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 4 2013, 8:20pm

Post #7 of 10 (226 views)
Shortcut
I like that [In reply to] Can't Post

i could totally see it

Escapist
Gondor

Mar 4 2013, 8:28pm

Post #8 of 10 (209 views)
Shortcut
I see how the key characters were the ones to say the title there [In reply to] Can't Post

although I am not sure that my idea was so much more forced than TTT version. I agree that it is hard to not sound a little bit forced compared to some other titles.

In that case it does seem right for Bilbo to say it. Maybe old Bilbo could say it the most naturally since he would be reminiscing and calling something unexpected implies a moment of reflection on the past being taken ... or commentary being given about something to someone else.

Esmeralda
Bree

Mar 4 2013, 8:41pm

Post #9 of 10 (211 views)
Shortcut
They managed other chapter titles... [In reply to] Can't Post

...like Roast Mutton and Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire, so I give them props for that.

And 'The Desolation of Smaug' appeared on the map already, though no one's said it out loud yet.

Anubis
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 4:07pm

Post #10 of 10 (96 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo says " unexpected", gandalf says "an" (an adventure) and "journey" (before we reach our journey´s end")
Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.