Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Why is the "subject" line necessary for forum replies?

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2013, 2:23am

Post #1 of 4 (168 views)
Shortcut
Why is the "subject" line necessary for forum replies? Can't Post

Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 3 2013, 2:42am

Post #2 of 4 (140 views)
Shortcut
I think you meant to post this on the Feedback board. (got moved while I was composing!) [In reply to] Can't Post

People have the option to read forum threads in flat mode (which is the default) and threaded mode. For those of us who read in threaded mode, the subject lines let us know (hopefully) what the post is about and we chose whether to click on it to read or not. I can't read every post and I look for particular sub-topics that might interest me or for someone praising a particular post (in the subject line) that makes me take a look.

It also lets people say something really short just in the subject line and then we don't have to click on it at all.

This threaded format is how the original boards were set up and when we moved to a better set up here on the new boards, most of the members liked it so the developers allowed each member to choose which format to use.

Examples of how I see threads that illustrate how the subject line is useful.

Ataahua posted her fun diversion, Middle-earth Conspiracy Theories and asked this question:
Just why did the Valar ban humans from visiting them in Valinor?

People will post their answers in the subject line and it looks like this:

You can see what threaded looks like by finding the button at the top right of any thread that says "View Threaded". You can click it as a toggle between Threaded and Flat.

And, I might point out that you use the subject line just how many of us would... you let me see what you wanted to say without my having to click on the post. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 3 2013, 2:43am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 3 2013, 2:47am

Post #3 of 4 (145 views)
Shortcut
On TORN [In reply to] Can't Post

you can choose to read threads in either flat mode or threaded. Subject lines aren't particularly necessary in flat mode (except for the originating post of the thread, of course - people need something to click on to open the discussion thread), but they are necessary for those who read in threaded mode - as people need to click on something to open each post in the thread.

The original set-up of these discussion boards had the subject lines to default to repeating the subject of the originating post - for instance, my reply you here would have been headed: 'RE: Why is the "subject" line necessary for forum replies?' However that changed quickly at the request of board members, as seeing the same line repeated so often was a bit nutty and didn't indicate what the reply was about.

On a related note, we ask board members to have more that, for instance, just a full stop in their subject line so that there is something meaty for those with poor eyesight or motor skills to click on when reading in threaded mode.

...also, what Magpie said. Tongue

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 3 2013, 2:48am)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2013, 4:20pm

Post #4 of 4 (176 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the replies, Magpie and Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

The reason I asked was because I am constantly writing out my posts, clicking send, and then being stopped because I haven't filled out the subject line, but now it makes sense to me.Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.