Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - March 4

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 4 2013, 10:19am

Views: 229
Shortcut
TIME - March 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

March 4, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Aragorn faces the enemy as the new day dawns.
(not from the appendices)
..."At last Aragorn stood above the great gates, heedless of the darts of the enemy. As he looked forth he saw the eastern sky grow pale. Then he raised his empty hand, palm outward in token of parley.
...The Orcs yelled and jeered. 'Come down! Come down!' they cried. 'If you wish to speak to us, come down! Bring out your king! We are the fighting Uruk-hai.... ...Bring out your skulking king!'
...'The king stays or comes at his own will,' said Aragorn.
...'Then what are you doing here?' they answered. 'Why do you look out? Do you wish to see the greatness of our army? We are the fighting Uruk-hai.'
...'I looked out to see the dawn,' said Aragorn..
...'What of the dawn...? ...We are the Uruk-hai: we do not stop the fight for night or day, for fair weather or for storm. We come to kill, by sun or moon. What of the dawn?'
...'None knows what the new day shall bring him... ...Get you gone, ere it turn to your evil.'
...'Get down or we will shoot you from the wall... ...This is no parley. You have nothing to say.'
...'I have still this to say,' answered Aragorn. 'No enemy has yet taken the Hornburg. Depart, or not one of you will be spared. Not one will be left alive to take back tidings to the North. You do not know your peril.'
...So great a power and royalty was revealed in Aragorn, as he stood there alone above the ruined gates before the host of his enemies, that many of the wild men paused, and looked back over their shoulders to the valley, and some looked up doubtfully at the sky. But the Orcs laughed with loud voices; and a hail of darts and arrows whistled over the wall, as Aragorn leaped down.
...There was a roar and a blast of fire. The archway of the gate above which he had stood a moment before crumbled and crashed in smoke and dust. The barricade was scattered as if by a thunderbolt."

2. The charge of the Riders.
..."...sudden and terrible, from the tower above, the sound of the great horn of Helm rang out.
...All that heard that sound trembled. Many of the Orcs cast themselves on their faces and covered their ears with their claws... ...from the Deep the echoes came, blast upon blast, as if on every cliff and hill a mighty herald stood. But on the walls men looked up, listening with wonder; for the echoes did not die. Ever the hornblasts wound on among the hills... ...they answered one to another, blowing fierce and free.
...'Helm! Helm!' the Riders shouted. 'Helm is arisen and comes back to war. Helm for Théoden King!'
...And with that shout the king came. His horse was white as snow, golden was his shield, and his spear was long. At his right hand was Aragorn, Elendil's heir, behind him rode the lords of the House of Eorl the Young. Light sprang in the sky....
...'Forth Eorlingas!' With a cry and a great noise they charged. Down from the gates they roared, over the causeway they swept, and they drove through the hosts of Isengard as a wind among grass. Behind them from the Deep... ...poured all the men that were left upon the Rock. And ever the sound of blowing horns echoed in the hills."

3. Gandalf returns.
..."There suddenly upon a ridge appeared a rider, clad in white, shining in the rising sun. Over the low hills the horns were sounding. Behind him, hastening down the long slopes, were a thousand men on foot; their swords were in their hands. Amid them strode a man tall and strong. His shield was red. As he came to the valley's brink, he set to his lips a great black horn and blew a ringing blast.

...'Erkenbrand!' the Riders shouted. 'Erkenbrand!'
...'Behold the White Rider!' cried Aragorn. 'Gandalf is come again...!'
......The hosts of Isengard roared, swaying this way and that, turning from fear to fear. Again the horn sounded from the tower. Down through the breach of the Dike charged the king's company. Down from the hills leaped Erkenbrand, lord of Westfold. Down leaped Shadowfax, like a deer that runs surefooted in the mountains. The White Rider was upon them, and the terror of his coming filled the enemy with madness. The wild men fell on their faces before him... ...Orcs reeled and screamed and cast aside both sword and spear... ...Wailing they passed under the waiting shadow of the trees; and from that shadow none ever came again.

4. Théoden and Gandalf set out from Helm's Deep for Isengard.
(from the appendices)
..."You move me, Gimli,' said Legolas. 'I have never heard you speak like this before. Almost you make me regret that I have not seen these caves. Come! Let us make this bargain--if we both return safe out of the perils... ...we will journey for a while together. You shall visit Fangorn with me, and then I will come with you to see Helm's Deep.'
...'That would not be the way of return that I should choose,' said Gimli. 'But I will endure Fangorn, if I have your promise to come back to the caves and share their wonder with me.'
...'You have my promise,' said Legolas. 'But alas! Now we must leave behind both cave and wood for a while. See! We are coming to the end of the trees...."

..."At last the company passed through the trees... ...where the road from Helm's Deep branched, going one way east to Edoras, and the other north to the Fords of Isen. As they rode from under the eaves of the wood, Legolas halted and looked back with regret. Then he gave a sudden cry.
...'There are eyes! Eyes looking out from the shadows of the boughs! I never saw such eyes before!'
...The others, surprised by his cry, halted and turned; but Legolas started to ride back.
...'No, no!' cried Gimli. 'Do as you please in your madness, but let me first get down from this horse! I wish to see no eyes!'"

5. Frodo reaches the slag-mounds on the edge of the Desolation of the Morannon.
(from the appendices)
..."They had come to the desolation that lay before Mordor: the lasting monument to the dark labour of its slaves that should endure when all their purposes were made void; a land defiled, diseased beyond all healing—unless the Great Sea should enter in and wash it with oblivion. 'I feel sick,' said Sam. Frodo did not speak…."

..."...Suddenly Sam woke up thinking that he heard his master calling. It was evening. Frodo could not have called, for he had fallen asleep, and had slid down nearly to the bottom of the pit. Gollum was by him. For a moment Sam thought that he was trying to rouse Frodo... ...it was not so. Gollum was talking to himself. Sméagol was holding a debate with some other thought that used the same voice but made it squeak and hiss. A pale light and a green light alternated in his eyes as he spoke.…"

..."...Sam had lain still, fascinated by this debate, but watching every move that Gollum made from under his half-closed eye-lids. To his simple mind ordinary hunger, the desire to eat hobbits, had seemed the chief danger in Gollum. He realized now that it was not so: Gollum was feeling the terrible call of the Ring. The Dark Lord was He, of course; but Sam wondered who She was…"

6. Merry and Pippin try to stay high and dry.
..."'There was a noise in the night like a wind coming up the valley. I think the Ents and Huorns that had been away came back then; but where they have all gone to now, I don't know. It was... ...morning when we climbed down and looked around again, and nobody was about. And that is about all there is to tell. It seems almost peaceful now after all the turmoil. And safer too, somehow, since Gandalf came back. I could sleep!'"

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Subject User Time
TIME - March 3 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 3 2013, 5:11am
    Time (hah!) to trot out one of my favorite anecdotes Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Mar 3 2013, 3:33pm
        Yikes! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 3 2013, 4:48pm
        That is just spooky! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 4 2013, 11:19am
    TIME - March 4 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 4 2013, 10:19am
        TIME - March 5 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 5 2013, 10:15am
            Great oliphaunts! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 6 2013, 2:13am
                I've always thought that grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 6 2013, 10:23am
            TIME - March 6 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 6 2013, 10:17am
                TIME - March 7 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 7 2013, 11:17am
                    TLE's Weather Reports: grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 7 2013, 11:19am
                        Now there's a name from the past! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 8 2013, 3:08am
                            Last I knew grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 8 2013, 11:22am
                    TIME - March 8 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 8 2013, 11:23am
                        TLE's Weather Report: grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 8 2013, 11:32am
                            What a loaded question: dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 8 2013, 1:26pm
                        TIME - March 9 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 9 2013, 12:25pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.