The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Sped up for TV?

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 3 2013, 5:16am

Post #1 of 19 (1569 views)
Shortcut
Sped up for TV? Can't Post

I came home tonight and discovered that AMC channel on basic cable was showing TTT. This meant it had commercials, but it was well into Helm's Deep and so I thought what the heck, I'll watch awhile. As I watched, I felt like there was something not quite right, but at first I couldn't put my finger on it. Finally I realized the film was being sped up, just a notch, enough that someone who's seen it a zillion times would notice, but a casual viewer would not. It was unsettling, the pace of the whole thing off like that, and Gollum sounded like a cartoon character.

Clearly this was done to fit it into a four hour block with commercials, but I've seen it on commercial TV before (on other channels) and only the credits were accelerated. This is the first time I've seen the whole film fast forwarded. Has anyone else seen this done? Or was this new for AMC? Or am I going insane?

Elutherian
Rohan

Mar 3 2013, 6:13am

Post #2 of 19 (1392 views)
Shortcut
I noticed something was awry [In reply to] Can't Post

Granted I didn't watch much of it (I try to not to watch the non-EE versions), but it just looked weird.

I'm wondering how they sped it up, and yet the dialogue still seemed to be at the same pace.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 3 2013, 8:15am

Post #3 of 19 (1379 views)
Shortcut
It would make more sense just to cut the credits [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty pointless showing them on TV these days. No-one really appreciates them. Was the whole film sped up, or just Helm's Deep.

I bet Treebeard got angry. He doesn't like to be rushed!

Tigero
Rivendell

Mar 3 2013, 9:22am

Post #4 of 19 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... i doubt that one could difrentiate between 23.976 and 24 fps [In reply to] Can't Post

But if it was played at 24fps unintentionally, the soundtrack would get out of sync. So if it indeed was sped up they must have intentionally played it back faster and also speed up the sound and also applying pitch shifter, which makes everything sound a bit strange. (That's most likely why Gollum sounded strange)

Pessimists have no disappointments.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 3 2013, 2:26pm

Post #5 of 19 (1348 views)
Shortcut
this is far too common than we'd like [In reply to] Can't Post

at least on broadcast channels (I don't have cable).

Anytime you see that warning before a movie starts that says something like 'this film has been altered for broadcast'... they're messing with something. One easy way is to snip entire scenes. Another is to speed it up. I don't think we notice it with films we're not familiar with. I mean, we know they're doing it if we read that statement, but we might not notice it while the movie is playing.

We only notice it when more familiar with the movie. More than once, a movie I quite enjoy comes on TV while I'm working on something and I choose to let it play to keep me entertained... only to find the movie not that enjoyable at all. I came to realize that even snips of small scenes can disrupt the flow and mood of a film and speeding it up just kind of kills it from start to finish. You get the plot... but not the beauty of the film.

I realized that all those people who showed up at imdb's message boards saying, "I just caught this on XXX and I don't see what the big deal is. How did this ever get 8 stars in the imdb rating"... were likely reacting to the total clunkiness of an edited airing.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Mar 3 2013, 2:57pm

Post #6 of 19 (1366 views)
Shortcut
I Don't Know About That [In reply to] Can't Post

But off topic I was watching it too and noticed for the first time Aragorn's hidden excitement over Tossing Gimli lol when he said "What?" all I heard was "Are you serious I've been wanting to do this a long time!"

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 3 2013, 3:23pm

Post #7 of 19 (1376 views)
Shortcut
I first noticed it with Merry & Pippin [In reply to] Can't Post

I came in well into the story, and it was the scenes of the Entmoot. They are of course supposed to be slow moving, but they actually seemed to be clocking along. The piece of dialogue that cinched it was when Pippin says to Treebeard "The closer we are to danger, the farther we are from harm." I know exactly how that line should sound, where the pauses are, cadences, etc. And it was too fast, like he was rushing through it. Then I noticed it all the time after.

I wonder if PJ has something in the contract for commercial showings that they can't cut scenes, so this is their workaround.

In Reply To
Pretty pointless showing them on TV these days. No-one really appreciates them. Was the whole film sped up, or just Helm's Deep.

I bet Treebeard got angry. He doesn't like to be rushed!

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 3 2013, 3:32pm

Post #8 of 19 (1350 views)
Shortcut
Me, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured it was because it was moving faster. Definitely ramps up comic moments.

In Reply To
But off topic I was watching it too and noticed for the first time Aragorn's hidden excitement over Tossing Gimli lol when he said "What?" all I heard was "Are you serious I've been wanting to do this a long time!"

Heatherleawv
Bree

Mar 4 2013, 1:06am

Post #9 of 19 (1298 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

have noticed the same thing when I watch reruns on TV Land. The Dick Van Dyke show feels sped up because their voices sound almost squeaky. When I watch the Cosby Show it also seems sped up. It just doesn't have the same sound and feel as when I watched it "way" back in the 80s. Smile
I'm just glad we get to enjoy our favorite movies on DVD.
BTW this is my 30th post, yeah!!Smile

All that glitters is not gold...

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 3:26am

Post #10 of 19 (1328 views)
Shortcut
Ringwraith Scream [In reply to] Can't Post

Something I noticed earlier When I was watching it again on AMC when the Nazgul flew over The Dead marshes his cry sounded electronic and I could barely hear it I thought maybe it was my TV but then I remembered the sped up thing and thought maybe that had something to do with it anyone else experience this?

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 3:26am

Post #11 of 19 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you have many more!

In Reply To
BTW this is my 30th post, yeah!!Smile

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 4:11am

Post #12 of 19 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Yes--I caught that today when it aired again. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had it on while I was doing some work, and to make sure I hadn't imagined it when I saw it yesterday. It's also very noticeable when Frodo talks, too.

In Reply To
Something I noticed earlier When I was watching it again on AMC when the Nazgul flew over The Dead marshes his cry sounded electronic and I could barely hear it I thought maybe it was my TV but then I remembered the sped up thing and thought maybe that had something to do with it anyone else experience this?

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 2:47pm

Post #13 of 19 (1282 views)
Shortcut
That's terrible! [In reply to] Can't Post

Crap ... what a way to ruin a film! It throws everything off if they speed it up.

Really, as much as I am one of those people who stays in the theater to watch the credits (and I am) --- on TV, please just cut the credits instead of wrecking the film. On TV the credits are usually too small to read anyway.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 3:29pm

Post #14 of 19 (1261 views)
Shortcut
Oh, they cut the credits, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least they sped them up to full throttle, probably because they are contractually bound to run them. No, this was about getting in as many "Walking Dead" promos as they possibly could.

Now I wonder if they do this with all their movies. They ran "Kingdom of Heaven," too, and it's pretty long. I'm not familiar enough with it to know if it was fast or not.

ForestPark
Rivendell

Mar 4 2013, 10:37pm

Post #15 of 19 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Amc [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you kidding me ? The Amc showing was so far superior to the TBS showings. Reminded me how beautiful the film was compareded to the dull muted TBS showings. Last time TBS showed it was like the Readers Digest version plus the sound has always been muddled>

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 11:41pm

Post #16 of 19 (1235 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen it on TBS, so I can't compare. [In reply to] Can't Post

The TNT showings are okay, but not great.

Heatherleawv
Bree

Mar 5 2013, 12:32am

Post #17 of 19 (1236 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

All that glitters is not gold...

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Mar 5 2013, 1:59am

Post #18 of 19 (1224 views)
Shortcut
This is why I watch them on DVD only [In reply to] Can't Post

I've watched the trilogy on TNT a few times, but with all the commercials and missing scenes, I decided to stop watching LOTR on TV, and always watch it on D VD. What a difference it makes. I do the same thing with other movies. ABC Family occasionally shows Harry Potter, but I no longer watch them on TV, preferring the DVDs. I understand that they show movies on TV for people who missed them and hadn't thought about renting them, but with commercials and missing scenes, it ruins the flow. And with films like The Lord of the Rings, it doesn't convey the beauty, making cynics criticize it.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Mar 5 2013, 2:01am

Post #19 of 19 (1246 views)
Shortcut
This is why I'm not crazy about movies on TV [In reply to] Can't Post

They were made to be watched throughout, not interrupted like a TV show. And then we get people who are all like "I saw [insert title of movie here] on TV, didn't see what was so great about it." With commercials and scenes being cut out, it ruins the flow, and the viewer misses something, even if they don't know they are.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.