Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What are we going to call the six films?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2013, 10:29am

Post #1 of 53 (1528 views)
Shortcut
What are we going to call the six films? Can't Post

I've been wondering about this since posting something here a few days ago. I think i wrote something like "Middle-earth saga", but i'm not thrilled with the word "saga", especially since The Twilight Saga.

WB is eventually going to have to address this, once TaBA is done and a complete set is inevitably released, but if there's already an established name for it among the fan community, they won't really have a choice. So the sooner we all start calling it the same thing, the more firmly it will be established when it comes time for the set to be "named".

So, what should it be?

Neimod
The Shire

Mar 3 2013, 10:34am

Post #2 of 53 (947 views)
Shortcut
My suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm... How about "The Third Age" films?

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 3 2013, 10:56am

Post #3 of 53 (914 views)
Shortcut
The Chronicles of Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

The Chronicles of Middle-earth: The Saga of the Third Age: Part 1 of the Hexology: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The Chronicles of Middle-earth: The Saga of the Third Age: Part 2 of the Hexology: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Chronicles of Middle-earth: The Saga of the Third Age: Part 3 of the Hexology: The Hobbit: There and Back Again

The Chronicles of Middle-earth: The Saga of the Third Age: Part 4 of the Hexology: The Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of the Ring

The Chronicles of Middle-earth: The Saga of the Third Age: Part 5 of the Hexology: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

The Chronicles of Middle-earth: The Saga of the Third Age: Part 6 of the Hexology: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Sly

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Mar 3 2013, 11:08am

Post #4 of 53 (886 views)
Shortcut
Stories from the Red Book of Westmarch? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not just the way Tolkien called these two stories? I'd prefer something with the "Red Book of Westmarch" in it:

Stories from the Red Book of Westmarch

Westmarch Stories

Stories from Middle-earth

Red Book Saga

Westmarch Saga

I don't now but the fact that both stories (TH and LOTR) are part of this book would make it (at least for readers and fans) logical to call it that way.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 3 2013, 11:33am

Post #5 of 53 (871 views)
Shortcut
Tales from Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

(This post was edited by Arannir on Mar 3 2013, 11:33am)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Mar 3 2013, 12:13pm

Post #6 of 53 (847 views)
Shortcut
Who says - [In reply to] Can't Post

- there will only be six? Middle-Earth is a goldmine.

I imagine they'll just refer to the films as being part of the 'Middle-Earth movie franchise', though I suspect we may get a Special Edition 'Red Book of Westmarch' box set containing the first six movies.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 3 2013, 2:00pm

Post #7 of 53 (785 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you, I imagine that's what they'll be called. Not sure they'll keep making movies though.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Mar 3 2013, 2:01pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Mar 3 2013, 2:04pm

Post #8 of 53 (773 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Hexalogy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

alienorchid
Lorien

Mar 3 2013, 2:36pm

Post #9 of 53 (787 views)
Shortcut
How much longer could you possibly make those names? [In reply to] Can't Post

and you can take that as a challenge if you like! ;)

I actually think 'The Chronicles of Middle-earth' would work well. It's obvious to casual viewers what it refers to, and is a bit more sophisticated than just 'The Middle-earth movies', which I just can't see being the title on a DVD box set.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 3 2013, 3:58pm

Post #10 of 53 (753 views)
Shortcut
How about..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings?

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Mar 3 2013, 4:37pm

Post #11 of 53 (700 views)
Shortcut
For WB, I think 'The Middle-Earth Saga' is the more marketable [In reply to] Can't Post

'The Chronicles of...' is already associated with Narnia and, with their being similarities in the genre and works, I don't think they'd want to copy it. I don't think Saga is associated with the Twilight films as much (it helps that it's just a tagged-on name and not from the original books). It's a simple, generic word that fits and lets casual audiences know what they're getting. Also, by the time a boxset is released in 2015, hopefully Twilight will have faded in everyone's minds.

As much as I would love them to call them The Red Book of Westmarch it wouldn't sell to the masses. Same with Middle-Earth: The Third Age. Tales from Middle-Earth may be nice but sounds more like a book collection, and also a bit twee - whereas 'saga' suggests something epic.

How about There and Back Again and then Even Further and Back Yet Again and then onto the Grey Havens? Tongue

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Mar 3 2013, 4:55pm

Post #12 of 53 (706 views)
Shortcut
That's assuming [In reply to] Can't Post

that there indeed will in fact only be six movies. The team could keep going with The Silmarillion, along with some supplementation from Unfinished Tales. If Cate Blanchett in particular is interested and they don't wait long enough that she and the other elves in question age too visibly to be credible, it's certainly within the realm of possibility, albeit with a few small issues considering the whole story will have been filmed in reverse chronology. I don't know if anyone's heard anything about whether or not there's even been talk about that though.

tupps

Mar 3 2013, 5:05pm

Post #13 of 53 (721 views)
Shortcut
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity... [In reply to] Can't Post

For awesome alliteration!

Tolkien Trilogies

"Indeed they hardly know a good bit of work from a bad, though they generally have a good notion of the current market value"

(This post was edited by tupps on Mar 3 2013, 5:06pm)

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Mar 3 2013, 5:51pm

Post #14 of 53 (696 views)
Shortcut
I see your alliteration and raise you a poor pun... [In reply to] Can't Post

Being as the hypothetical boxset is just an inevitable boxing together of the films -

The Token Tolkien Trilogies Boxset

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2013, 6:02pm

Post #15 of 53 (664 views)
Shortcut
I don't think the Tolkien estate [In reply to] Can't Post

will ever let that happen.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 3 2013, 6:17pm

Post #16 of 53 (645 views)
Shortcut
Bliss! Heaven! AWESOME!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

tupps

Mar 3 2013, 7:07pm

Post #17 of 53 (627 views)
Shortcut
Touché! [In reply to] Can't Post

I doff my hat to your superior wordplay and humbly suggest the following addition:
The Token Tolkien Trilogies Treasury: Blu-ray Box Set Based on Best-selling Books

"Indeed they hardly know a good bit of work from a bad, though they generally have a good notion of the current market value"

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 3 2013, 7:36pm

Post #18 of 53 (597 views)
Shortcut
That's far too sensible, dormouse ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 3 2013, 7:40pm

Post #19 of 53 (622 views)
Shortcut
How about: [In reply to] Can't Post

Stories from the Red Book of Westmarch: The Chronicles of Middle-earth: The Saga of the Third Age: Part 1 of the Hexology: Bilbo's Journey: In a Hole in the Ground: Part 1 of the Hobbit Trilogy: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Yup. That'll catch!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2013, 8:08pm

Post #20 of 53 (603 views)
Shortcut
Whatever they call it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm buying it!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2013, 8:36pm

Post #21 of 53 (580 views)
Shortcut
hey I like that one dormouse :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Mar 3 2013, 9:00pm

Post #22 of 53 (581 views)
Shortcut
Well, you win. [In reply to] Can't Post

And my hat is thus doffed right back in your direction. Though I would add the obligatory:

The Token Tolkien Trilogies Treasury: Blu-ray Box Set Based on Best-selling Books - Extra Extended and Expanded Editions

I pity anyone with a stutter who would have to ask for them in a shop though.

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 3 2013, 9:03pm

Post #23 of 53 (594 views)
Shortcut
On Wikipedia... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they have a list of the highest earning franchises of all-time. They list it as Tolkien's Middle Earth. This doesn't have too bad of a ring to it, looking at all of the other huge movie franchises (Harry Potter, James Bond, Star Wars). Almost anyone could identify what films you are talking about, whether the name Tolkien rings the bell or Middle Earth does it.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 3 2013, 9:09pm

Post #24 of 53 (582 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to call it [In reply to] Can't Post

The best thing since sliced bread. Cool

I don't know what it will be officially called and all that. What I do know is it will be a great way to spend six days if you watch one a day or however you break it up. Outside of reading the books yearly it will be something I really look forward to setting time a part to do.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2013, 9:40pm

Post #25 of 53 (565 views)
Shortcut
HA! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now THAT was awesome. :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.