Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A question regarding moving posts.

sador
Half-elven

Mar 3 2013, 7:30am

Post #1 of 4 (105 views)
Shortcut
A question regarding moving posts. Can't Post

First, it seems I have to celebrate my third post ever in the Gaming and Collecting forum!

However, I deserve no credit for it: I originally posted it on Main; the Admins decided GaC would be a better home for it (so far, it received no replies in either place).
I have no quibble with the decision: but shouldn't I have been somehow informed of this? As I hardly ever check the Gaming and Collecting forum, I could have received several responses without ever realising it!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 3 2013, 8:20am

Post #2 of 4 (168 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure which Admin moved it, but I see that a "Moved post" marker was left on Main which automatically redirects anyone who clicks on it to the new location. It looks like the marker post has now fallen to page 2 on Main (assuming that your forum view is set to 15 threads per page), as the original thread would have. Perhaps that's why you missed it?

Silverlode

sador
Half-elven

Mar 3 2013, 4:06pm

Post #3 of 4 (76 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I saw the marker on time; but I wondered whether someone less used to the board would be able to find it. Shouldn't the person who begins a thread be notified if his/her thread is moved?

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 3 2013, 4:38pm

Post #4 of 4 (77 views)
Shortcut
The marker *is* the notification [In reply to] Can't Post

The board default is not to leave markers. One of the primary reasons we chose to leave them is so the person who started the thread can find it (as well as those who are interested in it). Because markers take up space on page one, just like regular threads do, we often delete the marker once we can see that the person who started the thread has found it (by noting their replies in the moved thread).

If there are no replies, we likely just leave the marker forever. However, once in a while, if a new thread has no replies, we don't use markers; we move the thread and PM the person instead, because the marker is taking up board space. That way, the person who started it knows where it is, and other people are looking for it on the board they're probably looking at anyway for that type of post. I personally often do this with newbies because the PM also serves as a 'hello' and I can give a personal explanation as to why it was moved.

Still, the vast majority of moved threads have markers left, at least temporarily.

Any of the methods above serve as notification to the original poster.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.