Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Coronation in Erebor and shall we say breezy throne room?

Cirashala
Gondor

Mar 3 2013, 5:22am

Views: 965
Shortcut
Coronation in Erebor and shall we say breezy throne room? Can't Post

I keep having a thought, and it mystifies me.

Usually we think of coronations as being something like a wedding-ya know, center long red carpet (or substitute color of banner) leading up to the throne, with throngs of people lined on either side, dressed in their finest, amazing music, slow procession toward the throne, some wise person deemed worthy takes a crown from someone next to them where it had been resting on a pillow, then in a slow motion solemn move amidst silence, the king to be goes down on one (or both) knees, and the crown is placed atop his head. Suddenly, the room bursts with cheers as the king turns and is presented to his subjects. What follows is a massive party (and if we know the dwarves at all-a VERY raucous, very messy, very lively food fight of a party!)

So, I keep thinking about Thror's throne room, and how it consists of a throne carved out of the mountain, with a 5 FOOT WIDE walk toward it, with DEADLY SHEER DROP AND NO RAILS on either side, only broken by the occasional side pathway.

Yeah sure- if someone shows up who is hostile toward the king, it would take next to nothing to defend the throne-just chuck the would be assassins over the edge and problem solved. But somehow I seriously doubt they would want to do that to their faithful subjects Crazy Especially after traveling to reclaim a long abandoned kingdom.

So *SPOILER ALERT* I wonder how the coronation would go, whether it be Dain's or whether PJ&co listen to the fandom pleas to keep at least ONE of the line of Durin alive to ascend the throne (seriously doubt it)?

Would the people just stand on the narrow pathway in some sort of wake of a line behind the king to be (the ants go marching one by one children's song comes to mind lol)? Or would it be like Aragorn's coronation, where there was just simply too darn many people that they were forced to have it outside the throne room? Or would it be done in the Halls of Thror where Smaug presumably gathered the treasure and subsequently I would imagine managed to damage the hall in the process? Perhaps after it was restored?

Or, given the deaths of Thorin, Fili, and Kili, would Dain just quietly assume the throne in their wake, basically say a vow, have the crown plopped on his head, then go about his business? No formal ceremony, no big genocide, er, ceremony where people somehow manage NOT to fall off the pathway?

What do you guys think? Is Thror's throne room going to be coronation hall, or somewhere else? And if the throne room is indeed the coronation, would the people be on the floor below, presumably hundreds of feet down, and the participants in the ceremony shouting to be heard?

This is of course assuming the coronation will be in the film, but if its not we know at least that it had to happen sometime.

Feel free to present your own theories!

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Subject User Time
Coronation in Erebor and shall we say breezy throne room? Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Mar 3 2013, 5:22am
    Well... Dwarf Cupcake Send a private message to Dwarf Cupcake Mar 3 2013, 5:50am
        That's my feeling Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 3 2013, 5:57am
    What if... Oin's parasite Send a private message to Oin's parasite Mar 3 2013, 6:22am
    I would prefer something thoughtful (spoilers!) alienorchid Send a private message to alienorchid Mar 3 2013, 7:08am
        For myself, Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Mar 3 2013, 7:22am
            *Hands over a tissue* Dwarf Cupcake Send a private message to Dwarf Cupcake Mar 3 2013, 7:44am
                *sniff* thank you Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Mar 3 2013, 7:59am
                    Here, Dear Dwarf Cupcake Send a private message to Dwarf Cupcake Mar 3 2013, 8:04am
                    You said it Old Toby.... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 3 2013, 3:14pm
                        I know Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 3 2013, 10:02pm
                            So right Ham Sammy! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 3 2013, 10:21pm
            I will be heartbroken! alienorchid Send a private message to alienorchid Mar 3 2013, 8:05am
            Hugs Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 3 2013, 2:28pm
        I agree completely... DisDwarfWoman Send a private message to DisDwarfWoman Mar 4 2013, 4:31am
    I'd rather just have a line, or two, to be honest. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 3 2013, 8:20am
        Is it a massacre? Bellerock Send a private message to Bellerock Mar 3 2013, 11:39am
            Speculation DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 3 2013, 12:00pm
                Ah, I see Bellerock Send a private message to Bellerock Mar 3 2013, 1:13pm
    I keep reading "breezy throne room" [***spoilers***] Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Mar 3 2013, 9:52am
        Go. Bid the soldiers shoot. Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 3 2013, 3:11pm
            Oh I would love that... dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik Mar 3 2013, 10:13pm
                I'll take it in EE too Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 3 2013, 10:22pm
    Maybe the coronation will be shown in flashback elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Mar 3 2013, 10:06am
    hmmm ryouko Send a private message to ryouko Mar 3 2013, 2:16pm
    Positive Counter TheSexyBeard Send a private message to TheSexyBeard Mar 3 2013, 9:50pm
    It's not about Dain Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Mar 4 2013, 8:08pm
        I agree with your points elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Mar 4 2013, 8:18pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.