Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Antheraea frithi: my Gandalf moment

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Mar 2 2013, 4:21pm

Post #1 of 20 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Antheraea frithi: my Gandalf moment Can't Post

People have speculated on the species of Radagast's thrush, so I thought this anecdote would be appropriate. Tonight
on returning home from work, a security guard, knowing my interest in Lepidoptera, gave us a huge, beautiful
moth that he said was unable to fly- perhaps I wanted it for a collection. Since it was in perfect condition, I thought
it best to wait a bit; it might have just hatched and not yet be ready to fly. We left it in the car and went to dinner.
As we arrived back home he did indeed begin to fly, so I took him out, held him in my hand, and let him fly away
into the night. His species name is Antheraea frithi, and he looks just like Gandalf's moth in The Hobbit. I made a
composite photo:

Link

so have a look and judge for yourself.

No eagles have shown up as yet...

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

GloryBox
Bree

Mar 2 2013, 6:34pm

Post #2 of 20 (801 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for letting him recover and go on his way! [In reply to] Can't Post

In whatever universe I'll bet Gandalf, Sir Ian, and JRRT tooSmile would be so pleased! What a beautiful species!

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 2 2013, 6:40pm

Post #3 of 20 (801 views)
Shortcut
How wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

Do let us know if you spot any eagles Wink

Years ago, (before LOTR films), I would stop and pick up Monarchs who had taken a bump flying across the highway. I'd put them on the passenger seat to let them rest.

Sometimes they would recover after a while and begin flying around until I let them go (away from the road)... sometimes they would just pass quietly. Beautiful creatures.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 2 2013, 6:45pm

Post #4 of 20 (814 views)
Shortcut
You'll wish you hadn't let him go ... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you ever find yourself up a pine tree, surrounded by wargs! Wink

What a lovely species though - they look very similar. Is there anyway of telling between sexes?

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 2 2013, 7:29pm

Post #5 of 20 (774 views)
Shortcut
Nicely done [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the pictures and the name! Way to build up your Moth Karma!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2013, 8:40pm

Post #6 of 20 (757 views)
Shortcut
Loved it!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for taking that and sharing. That is awesome!

Thank you for your questions, now sod off and go do something useful -- Martin Freeman, Twitter t 3/1/13

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2013, 9:46pm

Post #7 of 20 (741 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

for sharing your Middle-earth moment--and the picture--with us! Smile

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 2 2013, 11:37pm

Post #8 of 20 (723 views)
Shortcut
That is very beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

And wonderful that the same kind of moth lives where you do!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Glaurung63
Lorien

Mar 3 2013, 12:38am

Post #9 of 20 (716 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

At my friends cabin we hung a sheet with a light on it at night and tried to identify the hundred moths that landed on it!!

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2013, 3:46am

Post #10 of 20 (705 views)
Shortcut
Or when the eagles swoop down and grab you tomorrow without warning. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 3 2013, 6:04am

Post #11 of 20 (712 views)
Shortcut
Oh... I love it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

What a neat treat! Moments like that are so perfect. I"ve had a few of my own like that. You know those little moths that sometimes fly around in your house? I like to catch them in mid-flight like Gandalf... then I let them go outside ;)

The best one was outside the main entrance at the library where I work. This moth was sitting on the floor of the concrete entry. So I just put my hand down and slipped my fingers underneath its legs... and he hung on. He seemed quite content to just stay for a visit. I eventually walked over and left him in some bushes off to the side of the building.

I love moments like these :)

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

RhodeCamelot
The Shire

Mar 3 2013, 6:14am

Post #12 of 20 (704 views)
Shortcut
Wow it's so pretty! (*__*) [In reply to] Can't Post

In general i really like how so much effort's been put in to the zoological accuracy (idk what to call it?) of the inhabitants of middle-earth; even the CGI creature-characters (aka most of them) look so real 'cause (a) Weta is awesome and the designers are geniuses (b) they look almost if not exactly like a species of animal/plant that exists/has existed. Smile

(PS: dayum, if the eagles don't show up after 5 minutes then i suppose they never will and you'll have to book a flight on AirNZ on yer own....they're a great airline though!)

#dftba

Excuse me, sorry to interrupt but what should i do with my plate?

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 3 2013, 8:48am

Post #13 of 20 (692 views)
Shortcut
That one is beautiful too Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you know which type of moth it is? I always am astounded at the intricacy and detail of the design on moths and butterflies in particular. If a human submitted a "design" for a fictional moth with anything like this degree of detail, it would probably be dismissed as being "over the top" or "unrealistic", but Nature is even more so!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Mar 3 2013, 9:43am

Post #14 of 20 (734 views)
Shortcut
Your moth's name [In reply to] Can't Post

That one is the Cecropia moth, Samia cecropia, the largest silk moth in North America. The moth I posted
is in the same family, Saturniidae, the silk moths. And yours is a "he" as well; you can tell it's a male by the
large feathery antennae. Nice picture!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 3 2013, 2:21pm

Post #15 of 20 (681 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand clapping* Thank you!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Samia cecropia? I'll call him SAM for short.. pardon the pun! AWESOME! *still giggling* I LOVE THIS! *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 3 2013, 3:08pm

Post #16 of 20 (687 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

about the beauty of moths and butterflies. They're surreal in their colour, beauty and detail. DwellerInDale tells us itís a Cecropia moth, or Samia cecropia, the largest silk moth in North America. I'm in Michigan and this is the 4th I've seen in the past 10 years.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Mar 3 2013, 3:57pm

Post #17 of 20 (699 views)
Shortcut
Haha guys, that'll never happen, in fact I.. [In reply to] Can't Post

..wait.. what's that noise?? AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 1:00am

Post #18 of 20 (660 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you'll get lucky [In reply to] Can't Post

and stumble across a cocoon like I did about two years ago! I didn't degum and spin it up yet, though. I lost the only other one I'd found.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2013, 1:34pm

Post #19 of 20 (650 views)
Shortcut
We lose more good posters this way. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 1:44pm

Post #20 of 20 (723 views)
Shortcut
If they didn't exist already [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always felt that if we lived in a world where butterflies and moths had never existed, and an author wrote a sci-fi book about a world that had them, and tried to describe them, that no one would believe they could ever possibly exist. They'd say it wasn't physically possible.
Really ... wings that are thinner than paper, dusted with powder in patterns and colors?
Not to mention, the whole metamorphosis thing.

Surely they are a figment of someone's imagination Heart.

So, who knows DiD, perhaps those giant eagles are out there too Smile.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.