Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bombur

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2013, 2:17am

Post #1 of 12 (798 views)
Shortcut
Bombur Can't Post

Well here's one answer to our questions on Bombur. Martin during the live tweet said the following when asked why Bombur didn't have any dialogue:

"The Hobbit ‏@TheHobbitMovie
Peter thought it would be funnier if all of his reactions were non-verbal, and I think he was right. "

Not sure whether that means he won't going forward as it was directed at AUJ and not the upcoming movies...

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Mar 2 2013, 2:18am)

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 2 2013, 2:24am

Post #2 of 12 (449 views)
Shortcut
I think he was right [In reply to] Can't Post

There are two that I thought were hysterical. One was the look on his face as he looked up at Ori when Ori lets out that long belch. If you haven't seen it, focus on Bombur when that occurs. Priceless. The other was the look on his face when Bofur throws the sausage to him at Rivendell. Again, very funny.

I think they got a lot out of him non-verbally, which they probably had to given the number of dwarves they were working with.

cats16
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2013, 3:06am

Post #3 of 12 (429 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully not! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think each dwarf will have his 15 min. of fame, for lack of a better corny phrase. Especially after seeing the picture somewhere with several others carrying Bombur in Mirkwood. I'd guess this will be his time to shine (another corny phrase). The only questionable one is Bifur...because I'm not exactly sure what that embedded axe to the skull has done for him mentally. Probably will be more of his actions and behavior than his words that we'll remember him for.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 2 2013, 10:37am

Post #4 of 12 (337 views)
Shortcut
This annoys me the most. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's fine if they wanted to make Bombur more entertaining than the other Dwarves. But they can't say they didn't make him speak to give him more of a physical presence, if he doesn't have any screentime! They could've easily given Bombur one line (like Nori), and kept him quiet the rest of the time. Mad

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Mar 2 2013, 12:50pm

Post #5 of 12 (289 views)
Shortcut
Oh, cats16 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think each dwarf will have his 15 min. of fame, for lack of a better corny phrase. Especially after seeing the picture somewhere with several others carrying Bombur in Mirkwood. I'd guess this will be his time to shine (another corny phrase). The only questionable one is Bifur...because I'm not exactly sure what that embedded axe to the skull has done for him mentally. Probably will be more of his actions and behavior than his words that we'll remember him for.

I think you were just one cliched phrase away from a free elvish dagger. Cool

cats16
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2013, 2:23pm

Post #6 of 12 (249 views)
Shortcut
Ooo yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always wanted one of those! Tongue

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 2 2013, 4:24pm

Post #7 of 12 (251 views)
Shortcut
Bifur's special case.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on his injury he has only expressive issues, not receptive, so we will see him using his ....his....{.idiom, sir?} Yes! IDIOM! .... for communicating.
Which I find very endearing!Smile I wants a dagger too....

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2013, 7:14pm

Post #8 of 12 (210 views)
Shortcut
Maybe in the next two films Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they will give him a line. It's not too late. They're shooting the BoT5A in a couple of months. Send PJ a note!

Thank you for your questions, now sod off and go do something useful -- Martin Freeman, Twitter t 3/1/13

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 2 2013, 7:46pm

Post #9 of 12 (206 views)
Shortcut
Well Bombur will be asleep for a good portion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which I'm actually really looking forward to Wink

After that, he needs to wake up and start babbling about his dream.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 2 2013, 7:59pm

Post #10 of 12 (196 views)
Shortcut
I agree with PJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in a way it was consequential not to give him anything than to give him something really random. And I thought he had a great presence on screen (not just because of him being fat) without speaking.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 2 2013, 8:23pm

Post #11 of 12 (189 views)
Shortcut
Forgettable though. [In reply to] Can't Post

He might have a striking presence, but that's it. I doubt he made any impression on the general audience. They were probably left wondering why Bombur was the only Dwarf not to speak. But we'll see. There's still ~6 hours more to go! Cool

Marionette
Rohan

Mar 2 2013, 9:46pm

Post #12 of 12 (257 views)
Shortcut
Oh [In reply to] Can't Post

But Bombur speaks in the book, so I guess they will change those scenes

EhhhPirate

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.