Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"You made me love you, I didn't want to do it..."

Riven Delve
Gondor

Mar 1 2013, 4:29pm

Views: 1291
Shortcut
"You made me love you, I didn't want to do it..." Can't Post

First-time poster, but I’ve been lurking for a while… Greetings, all!

Another post by swordwhale in the “Martin Freeman/Ian Holm Comparison in Film” sparked this idea. Because there can never be too much dwarf-lovin’, right? Angelic

As I walked out of the theater this week after my fourth viewing, knowing that this was the last time I’d see The Hobbit in the theater (for a good long while anyway), I realized that I loved each and every one of these dwarves…

But it wasn’t always that way.

I first read The Hobbit at 11 or 12, and I wasn’t that impressed. Being a preteen girl, I was not thrilled with Bilbo, as he was a middle-aged bachelor with no sex appeal and was fussy and whiney. (Fili and Kili, as the “teenagers” of the group, were far more interesting.) I was not really sure that Bilbo was not actually a burglar, what with absconding with the ring and then the Arkenstone business. Thorin was a crabby, occasionally pompous and mean old man, and the dwarves (except Fili and Kili) were just blobs with beards and different-colored hoods. The world was not saved, and it was just about a bunch of gold, so okay, that’s nice, kind of fun, but let’s move on. Which I did, and I read The Lord of the Rings, and then read it every year for the next twenty years. (And even the appendices about Thorin didn’t change my mind.)

I knew The Hobbit was coming out, and I knew Martin Freeman of Sherlock was to be Bilbo, so that was all good. I knew that Richard Armitage of North and South was to be Thorin, but the press release photos had him looking like a Klingon, so I wasn’t in a big hurry to see the movie, especially since I was so busy with Christmas and my family, and the reviews were mixed, and I didn’t much like the book anyway…

And then I went to see it.

The new characters made me love them, and here’s how…

First viewing
Thorin: It happened when you first appeared onscreen...
you made me love you…
(Okay, it didn’t happen that fast, though my eyes were certainly glued to the majestic hair…It was more like when I saw the softness—or is it sadness?—in your eyes at “There are still a few warriors amongst us.” Heart)

Bilbo (Martin Freeman’s version): I liked you from “Good morning” but it wasn’t until you persevered in freeing the ponies during the troll fray that
you made me love you…

Balin: “Then we are with you, laddie.”
you made me love you…

Bofur: “I wish you all the luck in the world. I really do.”
you made me love you…

Second viewing
Kili: I was fully prepared to love you immediately for your cuteness, but alas I am too middle-aged, and it took until I had time to see that you were a playful, friendly puppy and not just an annoying adolescent…
Your look when Fili tells you to take his hand at the stone giants, and you can’t…
you made me love you…

Fili: It took me longer than I thought to love you too, because you seemed to be missing or were that other actor in half the scenes, but then you had me at your swagger-stuffed “Careful with these. I just had ’em shaaarpened.” You and your killing implements: blades and dimples.
you made me love you…

Third viewing
Bifur: You seem so far away, but when you come back, look out! You were the first dwarf to stand during the Misty Mountains song, as if you knew something they didn’t yet…
you made me love you…

Gloin: When you had trouble with your pony too, like your son many years later…
you made me love you…

Oin: When you landed on the Carrock, and you were still trying to hear with your smashed ear horn…
you made me love you…

Fourth viewing
Dwalin: I liked your knuckle-armor from the moment I laid eyes on it, not to mention the mohawk and tattoos, but you kind of scared me and it really wasn’t until the fourth viewing that your loyalty to Thorin got into my heart, when you’re struggling desperately to get out of the tree to follow Thorin on his majestic kill-Azog march…
you made me love you…

Bombur: Because if I were that troll, I would have picked you to eat raw first too…more than a mouthful, especially with your boots on…
you made me love you…

Nori: When you got your lovely hair mussed by those nasty goblins when they collared you…
you made me love you…

Dori: [to Ori] “Try it. Just a mouthful…” Oh no! You’re me!! Crazy
you made me love you…

Ori: I am ashamed it took me so long, but your irritating jacksie statement threw me off. Then when Gandalf and Bilbo were having their fireside chat about golf and Bullroarer Took, I noticed you in the background, busily writing away, perhaps recording all that was going through your head about your historic meeting with the great Thorin Oakenshield, and I thought of a certain tomb, with a skeleton beside it, still clutching a book containing his last words…
you made me love you…

Many posters have mentioned which dwaves they like best, but I would love to know when each one first made you love him…

Subject User Time
"You made me love you, I didn't want to do it..." Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 1 2013, 4:29pm
    Welcome! And boy are you in the right place Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 1 2013, 5:01pm
        Looks like I missed some great moments Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 2 2013, 11:32am
            The little red countdown on my calendar says 17 days! (Thorin spoilers) Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 2 2013, 2:55pm
                Boromir Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 2 2013, 6:12pm
                    True about Boromir Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 2 2013, 7:42pm
                        Yes, should be interesting (spoilers) Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 3 2013, 12:32am
                            Indeed they have some parallels... (rife with spoilers. You know) Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 3 2013, 2:22am
                    I cry during that scene Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 3 2013, 12:36am
    Welcome! Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 1 2013, 5:35pm
    Welcome to tORN, Riven Delve!!// Owain Send a private message to Owain Mar 1 2013, 5:45pm
    May I just say.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Mar 1 2013, 7:15pm
    Hi and welcome Riven Delve! elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Mar 1 2013, 9:52pm
    Loved your post Nienna Send a private message to Nienna Mar 1 2013, 11:21pm
    It's a dwarf love-fest! Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Mar 1 2013, 11:30pm
        I couldn't have put it better myself – lovely post Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Mar 1 2013, 11:52pm
        Hot Dwarf Cognitive Dissonance Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 2 2013, 1:55am
            HDCD -- yes, that's it! Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Mar 2 2013, 2:34am
    Welcome! Love your "when it happened" moments! GloryBox Send a private message to GloryBox Mar 1 2013, 11:48pm
    I love this post! Kirly Send a private message to Kirly Mar 1 2013, 11:54pm
    Thanks for the kind welcome! Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 2 2013, 1:28am
    This must be the place... Dwarf Cupcake Send a private message to Dwarf Cupcake Mar 2 2013, 4:06am
        Welcome! GloryBox Send a private message to GloryBox Mar 2 2013, 5:19am
            Thanks! Dwarf Cupcake Send a private message to Dwarf Cupcake Mar 2 2013, 5:40am
            Yay! Fellow newbies! Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 2 2013, 11:15am
        Well, what took you so long? ;-) Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Mar 2 2013, 9:23am
    Welcome to you all who have been lurking in the shadows! Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Mar 2 2013, 6:25am
    Mae govannen! Tintallë Send a private message to Tintallë Mar 2 2013, 9:04am
    I don't really remember to be honest ryouko Send a private message to ryouko Mar 2 2013, 3:38pm
        Nice Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 2 2013, 3:50pm
    The movie is doing a great job explaining... Marionette Send a private message to Marionette Mar 2 2013, 9:44pm
        Love your avatar picture, Marionette Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 3 2013, 12:20am
            Super awesome fanarts Marionette Send a private message to Marionette Mar 3 2013, 1:32am
    Excellent post! Stay with us!/ Patty Send a private message to Patty Mar 2 2013, 10:02pm
    I never thought I could love... Esmeralda Send a private message to Esmeralda Mar 3 2013, 2:39am
        How do we love them? Let us count the ways. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Mar 3 2013, 10:51am
            sounds good marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Mar 3 2013, 8:57pm
                Elrond is *totally*... Esmeralda Send a private message to Esmeralda Mar 4 2013, 5:15am
                    Definitely marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Mar 4 2013, 9:19am
                    And he's enjoying every moment of it ryouko Send a private message to ryouko Mar 5 2013, 12:57am
    OK, since you reminded me of this thread, Kim Send a private message to Kim Aug 30 2013, 8:09pm
    What got me hooked Erewen Send a private message to Erewen Sep 2 2013, 10:00pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.