Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"You made me love you, I didn't want to do it..."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 1 2013, 4:29pm

Post #1 of 42 (1332 views)
Shortcut
"You made me love you, I didn't want to do it..." Can't Post

First-time poster, but I’ve been lurking for a while… Greetings, all!

Another post by swordwhale in the “Martin Freeman/Ian Holm Comparison in Film” sparked this idea. Because there can never be too much dwarf-lovin’, right? Angelic

As I walked out of the theater this week after my fourth viewing, knowing that this was the last time I’d see The Hobbit in the theater (for a good long while anyway), I realized that I loved each and every one of these dwarves…

But it wasn’t always that way.

I first read The Hobbit at 11 or 12, and I wasn’t that impressed. Being a preteen girl, I was not thrilled with Bilbo, as he was a middle-aged bachelor with no sex appeal and was fussy and whiney. (Fili and Kili, as the “teenagers” of the group, were far more interesting.) I was not really sure that Bilbo was not actually a burglar, what with absconding with the ring and then the Arkenstone business. Thorin was a crabby, occasionally pompous and mean old man, and the dwarves (except Fili and Kili) were just blobs with beards and different-colored hoods. The world was not saved, and it was just about a bunch of gold, so okay, that’s nice, kind of fun, but let’s move on. Which I did, and I read The Lord of the Rings, and then read it every year for the next twenty years. (And even the appendices about Thorin didn’t change my mind.)

I knew The Hobbit was coming out, and I knew Martin Freeman of Sherlock was to be Bilbo, so that was all good. I knew that Richard Armitage of North and South was to be Thorin, but the press release photos had him looking like a Klingon, so I wasn’t in a big hurry to see the movie, especially since I was so busy with Christmas and my family, and the reviews were mixed, and I didn’t much like the book anyway…

And then I went to see it.

The new characters made me love them, and here’s how…

First viewing
Thorin: It happened when you first appeared onscreen...
you made me love you…
(Okay, it didn’t happen that fast, though my eyes were certainly glued to the majestic hair…It was more like when I saw the softness—or is it sadness?—in your eyes at “There are still a few warriors amongst us.” Heart)

Bilbo (Martin Freeman’s version): I liked you from “Good morning” but it wasn’t until you persevered in freeing the ponies during the troll fray that
you made me love you…

Balin: “Then we are with you, laddie.”
you made me love you…

Bofur: “I wish you all the luck in the world. I really do.”
you made me love you…

Second viewing
Kili: I was fully prepared to love you immediately for your cuteness, but alas I am too middle-aged, and it took until I had time to see that you were a playful, friendly puppy and not just an annoying adolescent…
Your look when Fili tells you to take his hand at the stone giants, and you can’t…
you made me love you…

Fili: It took me longer than I thought to love you too, because you seemed to be missing or were that other actor in half the scenes, but then you had me at your swagger-stuffed “Careful with these. I just had ’em shaaarpened.” You and your killing implements: blades and dimples.
you made me love you…

Third viewing
Bifur: You seem so far away, but when you come back, look out! You were the first dwarf to stand during the Misty Mountains song, as if you knew something they didn’t yet…
you made me love you…

Gloin: When you had trouble with your pony too, like your son many years later…
you made me love you…

Oin: When you landed on the Carrock, and you were still trying to hear with your smashed ear horn…
you made me love you…

Fourth viewing
Dwalin: I liked your knuckle-armor from the moment I laid eyes on it, not to mention the mohawk and tattoos, but you kind of scared me and it really wasn’t until the fourth viewing that your loyalty to Thorin got into my heart, when you’re struggling desperately to get out of the tree to follow Thorin on his majestic kill-Azog march…
you made me love you…

Bombur: Because if I were that troll, I would have picked you to eat raw first too…more than a mouthful, especially with your boots on…
you made me love you…

Nori: When you got your lovely hair mussed by those nasty goblins when they collared you…
you made me love you…

Dori: [to Ori] “Try it. Just a mouthful…” Oh no! You’re me!! Crazy
you made me love you…

Ori: I am ashamed it took me so long, but your irritating jacksie statement threw me off. Then when Gandalf and Bilbo were having their fireside chat about golf and Bullroarer Took, I noticed you in the background, busily writing away, perhaps recording all that was going through your head about your historic meeting with the great Thorin Oakenshield, and I thought of a certain tomb, with a skeleton beside it, still clutching a book containing his last words…
you made me love you…

Many posters have mentioned which dwaves they like best, but I would love to know when each one first made you love him…

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 1 2013, 5:01pm

Post #2 of 42 (629 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! And boy are you in the right place [In reply to] Can't Post

Love your list!!!!!!
I never expected to love ANYONE but Bilbo, for a start.
My list of SNAG moments....

Thorin walking down that burning tree. Was resisting up til then. Gotcha. Actually thought some piratety rude words towards Sir PJ for so cruelly I repeat CRUELLY snagging me.
Gloin. His deep eyes during Misty Mounains Cold....like he is seeing it all over again.
Bofur. OMG whats NOT to love? The little puzzled twist of his head when he makes Bilbo pass out. Adorable man-child.
Bombur. When he is before the Goblin King he exchanges the most grim look with his brother .... we say NOTHING to the fat Bas%#@*.
Nori. Reaching his hand out to Thorin, after Goblin Town.
Ori. He dives to save Bilbo. Have to love him for that. Plus by the end he's using that mace and smacks a Warg over his shoulder.
Bifur. Salad in the tankard...utterly adorable. And roasting the kale.
Oin. Looks at Radagast like he is NUTS. Contextually cannot disagree.
Dori. "Oin has read the portents..." Love the gimme a break look.
Dwalin. From the second I saw him. Literally.
Balin. "Fill us up brother...don't stint." And of course with Thorin in bag end hallway. Those eyes say it all.
Fili: That amazing smirk when he walks into Bag End. And his endless knife collection. Sweet.
Kili: "Drop HIm!" with that feral-boy smile in the Trollshaw.

Enjoy, Riven Delve! And know you are in good company!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 1 2013, 5:02pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2013, 5:35pm

Post #3 of 42 (562 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes this is a great list. I love all that you've posted and agree entirely.

Bilbo's "Good morning" to Gandalf and his ominous "Good evening" to Balin as Balin is at the door. Love Freeman's look on his face in that scene. LOL.
Bofur's "No you're right, we don't belong anywhere". Love that big goof.
Kili's whole snickering over the Orc Pack and Thorin's admonishment
Thorin's "Give him a pony". Hehe. I love that too

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2013, 5:45pm

Post #4 of 42 (525 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to tORN, Riven Delve!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 1 2013, 7:15pm

Post #5 of 42 (534 views)
Shortcut
May I just say.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love your post. And you didn't make me, I just do!

Welcome to TORn Smile

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 1 2013, 9:52pm

Post #6 of 42 (463 views)
Shortcut
Hi and welcome Riven Delve! [In reply to] Can't Post

My first reaction to the Hobbit book was very similar to yours and I was about the same age. Unfortunately, unlike you, it put me off reading more Tolkien until many years later, after I had seen FOTR. This was soon remedied but was never as excited about TH as I was about LOTR.. When the TH films were announced, I was moderately excited because it was more ME but never expected to be as taken with all the characters. I haven't got a specific snag list but, predictably, fell in love with Thorin as soon as he appeared on screen. Roll on DoS!!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Nienna
Rohan

Mar 1 2013, 11:21pm

Post #7 of 42 (450 views)
Shortcut
Loved your post [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Riven Delve

What a lovely post! I smiled when I read what you wrote about Ori - I had expected to like him more but I was a bit disappointed with him. - perhaps he might come across a bit better in the extended version. And I'm hoping that the writing team will develop his character over the next two movies.

This weekend a group of TORn fans in Christchurch are going to the cinema for a final viewing. I will definitely be looking for Ori busily writing as Gandalf is talking about golf.

Balin is my favourite from the book and I too loved the movie version of Balin when he said "Then we are with you laddie." (As was I !)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 1 2013, 11:30pm

Post #8 of 42 (489 views)
Shortcut
It's a dwarf love-fest! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings back atcha, Riven Delve! You're amongst friends here. Smile

My early experiences with The Hobbit were pretty similar to yours; I read it at about the same age and certainly didn't see any sex appeal in it.

And going into the movie for the first time, I wasn't really expecting sex appeal either: There Is No Such Thing as a Hot Dwarf. Ewwww!

Okay, I'm on the record as wholeheartedly and shamelessly admitting Just How Wrong I Was. And boy am I ever glad I was wrong!

Thorin pretty much made me love him on the first viewing from his first few seconds on screen. I was a bit distracted for the rest of the movie (sort of an existential crisis: "Dwarves aren't supposed to be hot! But Thorin's hot! Ackk!"). Really, though, it's not just his looks. It's his whole being, his charisma, his aura, his voice, the way the rest of the Dwarves follow him and love him. He could be my king too.

Kili made me love him with his fierce puppy-like enthusiasm. He's bouncy, friendly, and mischievous -- and tries so hard to please his uncle. Not to mention he's sure good at twanging his bow...

Loved Fili from the moment he told Bilbo to hoot like owls. Need more of Fili though!

Bofur made me love him with the "Aye, it's a good game, if you've got the balls for it" line. Cracked me up. I'd love to invite him to my party! He's as mischievous as Kili, with a good warm heart.

Dwalin took my breath away from the moment he marched into Bag End. He made me love him with the tears at the Battle of Azanulbizar, and with the way he DOESN'T bow to Thorin when Thorin comes into Bag End. That dwarf is all about toughness, and loyalty, but has a soft side hidden in there too.

Balin made me love him because he loves Thorin. He's the perfect grandfatherly advisor and so clearly loves his (almost-)king. Balin had me with his line to Thorin: "We will see it done."

The others I think I fell in love with collectively during the singing of "Misty Mountains". How could you not love a group of dwarves who sing like that? Sure hope we see more of their musical talent.

Great post, Riven Delve!

GloryBox
Bree

Mar 1 2013, 11:48pm

Post #9 of 42 (458 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! Love your "when it happened" moments! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember exactly which viewing, but here are my thirteen "guess I always knew it" scenes:

Thorin -- Like you, the moment was his first word "Gandalf", quickly cemented by that wonderful hallway scene when he said "There is no choice Balin, not for me". For me, that set the tone for a new Thorin -- much different from my first impression of book Thorin.

Balin & Dwalin -- That whole affectionate greeting between them, beginning with "O-ho, evenin' Brother" and "By my beard..." And I really fell for the badass warrior being caught with his hand in the cookie jar and Balin's "wider, not shorter" rejoinder to Dwalin's kidding.

Fili & Kili -- "At your service". Along with "You must be Mr. Boggins!". What a perfect entrance for those two quick thinkers, determined to get in, but very good-natured about it. The teamwork and mock innocence of "Has it been cancelled?" and "No one told us". And as you can probably tell from my name, I loved the way Kili was full of compliments for Bilbo's house while he wiped his boots on the furniture. Probably a sure sign of dwarf approval! But Bilbo was in no mood.

Bombur -- A giant ladle as his weapon of choice. He reminded me of Sam with his frying pan!

Bofur -- Like you, gotta go with "I wish you all the luck in the world". But in later viewings I just love the moment at Bag End when he takes a test bite out of the biscuit and puts it back on the plate!

Bifur -- Catching plates over his shoulders and stopping a fork heading straight for his eye made me realize that Bifur may be far more "present" than he sometimes appears. And I really hope to hear him speaking more ancient dwarvish!

Gloin -- I hadn't noticed the pony trouble. Thanks for the tip! I loved Gloin's "Does he offer us insult?!" Knew right then that the whole taking-umbrage-thing is a gift from father to son!

Oin -- "A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain." Awww, so cute with the portents! But even I could tell that wasn't a raven!

Dori -- He may be fussy, but I just loved the way he held on to Gandalf's staff to save his little brother. After that scene, I noticed his protective streak throughout the movie.

Nori -- I know he's ummm, light-fingered. But I like to think of him as The Scrounger (think James Garner in The Great Escape). When the dwarves were enjoying those toasted sausages at Rivendell, I was thinking they better thank Nori because I'll bet that he pinched them from Bilbo.

Ori -- Saved Ori for last because he's been special to me for many years as a book character. I already loved him. Ever since my first reading of LOTR many years ago, I've been haunted by Ori's record of the dwarves' tragedy in Moria and his final written words ...."They are coming.....". He may be one of the last to die in Moria, having already suffered the loss of his friends Balin and Oin. So I was really happy to meet Ori in AUS as young and bookish, unskilled in arms, but brash and brave anyway. I loved him for rushing at trolls, and even orcs, armed with only a slingshot. His "green food" moment. And his dive to try to save Bilbo after the Stone Giants battle. I'm really looking forward (but with a certain sadness) to the rest of his character arc in the next two films.

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 1 2013, 11:52pm

Post #10 of 42 (444 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't have put it better myself – lovely post [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, Thorin, Bilbo and Gandalf are my favourite characters. They are played so well by three very fine actors, and they each contrast with each other. I can't really add to what others here have said – I agree.

After that I love Balin (played by another great actor), and Dwalin (for being such a loyal hard nut). Bifur is great – that expression on his face when Bilbo says he wants to leave the Company is brilliant. But really, I love them all.

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 1 2013, 11:54pm

Post #11 of 42 (438 views)
Shortcut
I love this post! [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2013, 1:28am

Post #12 of 42 (398 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the kind welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I appreciate that you read my massive Wall Of Text post. Blush It's lovely to hear your "snag" stories too!

BTW, I forgot to add that I fell for Thror's beard on first sight. Wink

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2013, 1:55am

Post #13 of 42 (431 views)
Shortcut
Hot Dwarf Cognitive Dissonance [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

And going into the movie for the first time, I wasn't really expecting sex appeal either: There Is No Such Thing as a Hot Dwarf. Ewwww!

Okay, I'm on the record as wholeheartedly and shamelessly admitting Just How Wrong I Was. And boy am I ever glad I was wrong!

Thorin pretty much made me love him on the first viewing from his first few seconds on screen. I was a bit distracted for the rest of the movie (sort of an existential crisis: "Dwarves aren't supposed to be hot! But Thorin's hot! Ackk!"). Really, though, it's not just his looks. It's his whole being, his charisma, his aura, his voice, the way the rest of the Dwarves follow him and love him. He could be my king too.

Loved Fili from the moment he told Bilbo to hoot like owls. Need more of Fili though!

The others I think I fell in love with collectively during the singing of "Misty Mountains".

Cool I believe I've seen this described elsewhere on the Internet as "Hot Dwarf Cognitive Dissonance."

In one viewing, as Balin says, "There is one I could follow," my sister and I looked at each other and said, "Me too!!"

Yep, we definitely need more Fili! Lots more. Wink

I love the group singing of "Misty Mountains." It's so haunting and fervent, maybe even reverent...

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2013, 2:34am

Post #14 of 42 (411 views)
Shortcut
HDCD -- yes, that's it! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL! Love it.

Yeah, funny thing though, Thorin's a bit challenged in the directions department (typical male, can't stop and ask for directions). I love the juxtaposition of "I got lost -- twice!" with Balin's "There's one I could follow!". Wink

Dwarf Cupcake
The Shire

Mar 2 2013, 4:06am

Post #15 of 42 (387 views)
Shortcut
This must be the place... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for jumping in... Evil I've been a LONG time lurker (long story...) , and finally decided to join the party. I wasn't expecting hot Dwarves either. I'd read the book countless times, and they just. weren't. hot. Then poor Bilbo opened the door to those brothers, and...my jaw dropped. Kili more than Fili, because I go for the darker ones, and he just charmed me. I fell in love with the whole troop during "Blunt the Knives", though (The choreography in that sequence alone is amazing! One of my favorite parts) Everyone's mentioned my favorite parts already, so I'll just add Bofur's mishearing Bilbo on crochet, and the zinger he gets away with and Fili breaking my heart when he calls out to an unconscious Thorin and his voice cracks, (Yes, I'm already stockpiling tissues for December 2014...)

Not All those who wander are lost...{/I]

GloryBox
Bree

Mar 2 2013, 5:19am

Post #16 of 42 (359 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a long lurker too, until just recently. Love the name you chose! And yes, I'm stockpiling the hankies for TABA as well.

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Dwarf Cupcake
The Shire

Mar 2 2013, 5:40am

Post #17 of 42 (344 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the welcome and the compliment. I had fun choosing it.

Not All those who wander are lost...

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 2 2013, 6:25am

Post #18 of 42 (348 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to you all who have been lurking in the shadows! [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll find this is such a wonderful place to indulge with people of like-minds over things you find especially exciting in the film...or films to come. Both the frivolous, fun threads and the serious topics are great places for discussions, many both interesting and informative. One of the main reasons I've joined in has been the comaraderie I find here. And I'm especially grateful for those here (and you know of whom I speak) who share my Thorin-sickness! Ah, and so, to try to contribute my answers to your question of when we first loved each dwarf. Not listing all of them, because I'm waiting to see more of some of them in the next films.

Thorin - On first sight. Really. My first thought was, "Holy S***! And it only got worse from there, with every moment of screen time he had. I mean...that hair! that voice! those eyes! that hair! His character is both complex and fascinating for me, and there are depths there that I'm sure we'll get to see more of, for better or worse. No matter. I'm sold!

Balin - I think he won me over when he was recounting the tale of the battle of Azanulbizar and ended with, "There is one who I could follow. There is one I could call King." He told his story with such heart and it was so moving.

Dwalin - I don't normally go for the Big Bad Biker look, but on him, it works. And I think I liked him from the moment Balin caught him with his hand in Bilbo's cookie jar! LOL! That rascal! And he's always there, backing up Thorin - his right-hand man.

Kili - Loved him from the moment he said, "Mr. Boggins!" He has such an air of innocence about him, as if he's completely clueless how good-looking he is and what a fine archer he makes. He seems to me to try so hard to please his Uncle Thorin, and I think he's trying to follow in his footsteps. His love for his brother is also evident. Oh, and he's very into making mischief, something tells me! Love how heartily he laughs!

Fili - Not so much screen time compared to his brother, but I really loved his, "If there's a key...there must be a door!" I mean, talk about a blonde moment! But he's so brash, and I find him endearing.

Bofur - "He eats it by the block" and that hat. How could you not love someone who wears a hat like that? Such a funny optimist and yet has his serious side as well. "You're right. We don't belong anywhere" was such a simple, yet heart-rending statement.

Oin - I love his, "He said he's an expert!" and him still trying to hear with his squashed ear trumpet at the end there.

Bifur - He's just so completely out there, I'm always amused and surprised by him. He's a fierce fighter too, in a pinch! Love his trying to roast his greens over the fire in Rivendell (after he's torn apart some piece of elvish furniture to put on the fire).

Thanks for this trip down memory lane! Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Tintallë
Gondor

Mar 2 2013, 9:04am

Post #19 of 42 (325 views)
Shortcut
Mae govannen! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, everything you said. And everything everyone else said. I love the dwarves. I love Gandalf and Bilbo. I love all their shaggy little ponies.

I really can't wait to see this again.

Welcome to TORN!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2013, 9:23am

Post #20 of 42 (344 views)
Shortcut
Well, what took you so long? ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you finally decided to de-lurk, and welcome!

Nice to have another person join the ranks of Dwarf Fanciers. You've come to the right place (though I suspect if you've been lurking long enough, you know that already)!

I didn't mention Blunt the Knives, but you're right: love that part. Those dwarves crack me up -- where did they learn to play Plate Frisbee? And Fili dancing in the background as he throws the plates is hilarious, swirling and darting to and fro. And the ominous knock at the end that kills the laughter -- okay, okay, I really love the entire sequence in Bag End. Every bit of it.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2013, 11:15am

Post #21 of 42 (314 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Fellow newbies! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you both de-lurked too! Smile

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2013, 11:32am

Post #22 of 42 (329 views)
Shortcut
Looks like I missed some great moments [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally missed this one:

In Reply To

Bombur. When he is before the Goblin King he exchanges the most grim look with his brother .... we say NOTHING to the fat Bas%#@*.

Well, thank goodness the DVD comes out soon...Wink

And, if I may ask:

Thorin walking down that burning tree. Was resisting up til then. Gotcha. Actually thought some piratety rude words towards Sir PJ for so cruelly I repeat CRUELLY snagging me.

Why was it "cruel" for you?

I admire your stamina, though...you resisted all the way to the burning tree!? You are one tough cookie, and I stand in awe. Cool

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 2 2013, 2:55pm

Post #23 of 42 (313 views)
Shortcut
The little red countdown on my calendar says 17 days! (Thorin spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Do the DVD stomp!

I went yesterday for #15.........lovely.

Haha, the Bombur moment is a tough one to catch, but worth it. Watch for it! Bombur and Bofur have such a great bro chemistry.
(It's hard to spot, RivenDelve, because you have to look AWAY from Thorin!)
I love the little family links they all wove into their performances. I give PJ and Co. credit but I think the lion's share is the actual cast, and how they brought out those relationships. You can tell brothers just by how they act, like Dori always fussing over Ori.

I actually resisted that tree scene until view 3...(if you can believe it! I can't, looking back) and I said "cruel" because I know what the end will be, and as your original post says (so perfectly) I DID NOT want to care deeply about anyone but Bilbo (and Gandalf) who have no jeopardy! I let myself go right away with Dwalin, for example, and Bofur, both of whom who I just loved from the first, because (we don't in canon) I didn't feel like we will lose them. So that was fine. I have loved Tolkien's world for over 20 years, so certainly I was already massively vested in the story. But I never cared for a doomed charactar, except for Theoden; and his end hurts but feels...different than this.

Then there goes PJ and Co., pulling real people out of the text, and in particular crafting that scene of hopeless courage, honor, resolve......it looks amazing, feels amazing....dammit. I can't just intellectualize it. NOT FAIR!
At least we are all in it together. I want to enjoy the trip.
I posted in another thread that Grey Havens didn't completely slay me the other night as it always has - because compared to TABA it's going to seem easy.
If there is an afterlife and we have any say in its construct, I can tell you where I will be!
Glad to have you around RivenDelve!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 2 2013, 2:57pm)

ryouko
Lorien

Mar 2 2013, 3:38pm

Post #24 of 42 (287 views)
Shortcut
I don't really remember to be honest [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll try. Mind you, this was over the course of many viewings. Some came before others, but I put down what I think might have gotten my attention.

Young Bilbo: Pretty much from the "Good Morning" scene.

Thorin: Well, I've been a fan of RA for over 5 years, so adoration was a given. Angelic

Dwarlin: When Bilbo asked, "do I know you", and the way he says "No".

Balin: I think it was from "There's one I could follow. There's one I could call King."

Kili: "You must be Mr Boggins!" And his rambunctious puppy ways keep me endeared to him.

Fili: hard to say... I think the look on his face when Balin tells the story.

Bofur: "Think furnace...with wings."

Bifur: Telling Gandalf that Thorin *slaps left forearm* Oakenshield hasn't arrived yet.

Bombur: Using his stomach to sent a goblin flying.

Oin: Joyfully sending goblins in all directions while swinging his weapon overhead.

Gloin: "Does he offer us insult??" When told about dinner. "Oh, well lead on then."

Dori: "Might I temp you with a cup of Camomile tea?" The way he said that and the way he said "deluge".

Nori: Another one that's hard to say. Well, the hair is an attention grabber, but I think it's how he looks like he's up to something.

Ori: Dear sweet little Ori. I can't say the exact moment, but by the end of the first movie, I adored him. Shy, quiet little geek with book in hand and rather picky about food. And then the eventual realization of "Holy crap, that's me!!" Shocked

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 2 2013, 3:50pm

Post #25 of 42 (266 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Ori: Dear sweet little Ori. I can't say the exact moment, but by the end of the first movie, I adored him. Shy, quiet little geek with book in hand and rather picky about food. And then the eventual realization of "Holy crap, that's me!!" Shocked

That's just adorable, ryouko.Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.