Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Northern Mine Barrage :
Martin Freeman/Ian Holm Comparison in Film

anagum
Swabbie

Feb 28 2013, 6:41pm

Post #1 of 20 (644 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman/Ian Holm Comparison in Film Can't Post

This came to me a few days ago and I wonder what others have to say about it. Do you think that Martin Freeman really did do his homework when trying to, albeit keeping his own artistic style, emulate a younger Ian Holm? I remember going to see The Hobbit for the first time and trying to notice little details like voice intonation, mannerisms, etc. Some parts I definitely did see a resemblance but in others not so much and that might not necesarrily be a bad thing. Maybe the years really did change Bilbo? :P

I remember watching an interview where he did say he took time to watch and study Holm in the LOTR films, but I wonder, to the audience, how much of that was shown.

sauget.diblosio
Sailing Master

Feb 28 2013, 7:06pm

Post #2 of 20 (379 views)
Shortcut
I thought he did a brilliant job [In reply to] Can't Post

of giving a very Ian Holm-ish Bilbo performance, while at the same time making it very much his own. I have zero problem believing that they're different versions of the same character.

Also, I really like how Martin Freeman played old Bilbo (in old Bilbo make-up, obviously) in that one quick scene of Frodo and Bilbo that was shot on the Hobbiton set in New Zealand.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Feb 28 2013, 7:12pm)

Hamfast of Gamwich
Cabin Boy

Feb 28 2013, 7:06pm

Post #3 of 20 (335 views)
Shortcut
I think he did a little bit [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he did a little bit of homework and made some attempts to emulate him but thankfully he didn't get so hung up on it that it overwhelmed his performance or stopped him bringing his own identity to the role.

Elizabeth
Quartermaster

Feb 28 2013, 7:39pm

Post #4 of 20 (351 views)
Shortcut
Was that Martin? [In reply to] Can't Post

I assumed they had inserted a green-screen Holm. They certainly could have, easily enough. It was Holm's voice, surely?

Ham_Sammy
Sailing Master

Feb 28 2013, 7:44pm

Post #5 of 20 (345 views)
Shortcut
They did do green screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Holm filmed from England, but they needed a stand in so Elijah Wood could do his lines. So Martin stood in for that part so they could film Elijah's lines. They used Holmes stuff done in England in the film. Or at least that's my understanding.

Angharad73
Rigger

Feb 28 2013, 7:53pm

Post #6 of 20 (316 views)
Shortcut
I actually prefer Freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Freeman did a great job. He emulated Holm just enough, but he didn't overdo it. I had no trouble believing them to be playing the same character, just many years apart. Besides, Bilbo is supposed to have changed over the course of his adventure, so I would have expected to find a difference between Bilbo at 50 years old and Bilbo at 111 for that reason alone.

For me, Freeman though has become *the' Bilbo Baggins. I love Ian Holm as an actor, but for some reason I never really warmed to his Bilbo in LOTR. Freeman has managed to make me care for Bilbo now, which surprised me (I went to the cinema with the expectation of primarily ogling that hair-tossing Dwarf and a few of his friends...Tongue - I came away with a little bit of a crush on a certain Hobbit).

anagum
Swabbie

Feb 28 2013, 7:53pm

Post #7 of 20 (318 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
of giving a very Ian Holm-ish Bilbo performance, while at the same time making it very much his own. I have zero problem believing that they're different versions of the same character.

Also, I really like how Martin Freeman played old Bilbo (in old Bilbo make-up, obviously) in that one quick scene of Frodo and Bilbo that was shot on the Hobbiton set in New Zealand.

Was this included in the movie? I don't remember seeing it!

anagum
Swabbie

Feb 28 2013, 7:58pm

Post #8 of 20 (296 views)
Shortcut
Ditto. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(I went to the cinema with the expectation of primarily ogling that hair-tossing Dwarf and a few of his friends...Tongue - I came away with a little bit of a crush on a certain Hobbit).

Hahaha. Oooooh, yeah. :) You're not the only one! I don't think I've ever been so besotted with an actor since high school (that one being Elijah Wood)...ahem.

Those Bagginses.

Elizabeth
Quartermaster

Feb 28 2013, 7:59pm

Post #9 of 20 (288 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, that is what I had heard.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Quartermaster

Feb 28 2013, 8:03pm

Post #10 of 20 (295 views)
Shortcut
Near the beginning... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the scenes with Old Bilbo and Frodo, as shown in the trailer. "I didn't tell you the whole story..."

As pointed out above, that was really Holm in the film, via green screen. Freeman read his lines for Elijah Wood when they shot his parts.

Ham_Sammy
Sailing Master

Feb 28 2013, 8:08pm

Post #11 of 20 (278 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Rostron2
Gunner

Feb 28 2013, 8:11pm

Post #12 of 20 (296 views)
Shortcut
Comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Martin Freeman was brilliant. He's perfect, I can't say enough good about what he did, and how he carried the film with Sir Ian and Richard Armitage.

For me, though Ian Holm doesn't need to be compared. He left his mark on LOTR with that whole early sequence with Gandalf at Bag End. It was just charming to see those two highly experienced actors working together, and you really got a great sense of the whole story just from the work they did in the kitchen.

It was nice to see him again in AUJ. I'm glad that a skilled, venerable actor can still have value in these days of everything having to be young, handsome and beautiful or its not fashionable.

DanielLB
Captain

Feb 28 2013, 8:25pm

Post #13 of 20 (298 views)
Shortcut
The shot of Bilbo seeing Frodo off [In reply to] Can't Post

Just outside the front door is Martin dressed as Old Bilbo.

anagum
Swabbie

Feb 28 2013, 8:41pm

Post #14 of 20 (272 views)
Shortcut
Neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just outside the front door is Martin dressed as Old Bilbo.

That's neat! I didn't know that. What I find funny about that how quick scene is how, no matter how hard they tried to re-Hobbitize Elijah for his role, he still looks significantly older. Something about his chin and other facial features.

sauget.diblosio
Sailing Master

Feb 28 2013, 9:32pm

Post #15 of 20 (257 views)
Shortcut
There's one shot, [In reply to] Can't Post

kind of between a long shot and a medium, from the side, where Frodo walks away from camera down the lane (eating an apple i think) and Bilbo stands above at the edge of the garden, waving and nodding. It was very obviously shot on the NZ Hobbiton set. It was in a lot of the trailers. I always suspected it was Martin, and it has been confirmed, though i can't remember where.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Feb 28 2013, 9:34pm)

ryouko
Able Seaman

Feb 28 2013, 9:57pm

Post #16 of 20 (236 views)
Shortcut
just little things [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing that really stuck out to me at my final, and 12th viewing, was when he picked up the ring. The way he looked at it seemed to be so much like Mr. Holm. Something about the look on his face; the way he held his mouth. And other little bits. Mostly in facial expressions during the underground scene.

sycorax82
Rigger

Mar 1 2013, 12:50am

Post #17 of 20 (182 views)
Shortcut
Though it's subtle, there are some little things he's taken from Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

There are these hand movements that Ian Holm does and in a few scenes, particularly in Bag End though also in the Gollum scene, you can see Martin kind of paying homage to them! Also the way he delivers the line before the Dwarves all fall through the door is very Holm Bilbo.

swordwhale
Sailing Master

Mar 1 2013, 5:29am

Post #18 of 20 (138 views)
Shortcut
venerable... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to see a whole crew of actors who have character rather than being what we see on American TV: vapid 20 year olds...

I liked The Hobbit (book) OK, and Bilbo, OK, and Hobbits... OK... but Martin Freeman made me love him.

Go outside and play...

Salmacis81
Boatswain

Mar 2 2013, 3:11pm

Post #19 of 20 (52 views)
Shortcut
Elijah and Ian Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's neat! I didn't know that. What I find funny about that how quick scene is how, no matter how hard they tried to re-Hobbitize Elijah for his role, he still looks significantly older. Something about his chin and other facial features.

I didn't notice much change in Elijah at all.

The difference between Ian Holm in LOTR and Ian Holm in AUJ, however, was striking. He certainly looked and sounded more tired, and was noticeably fatter. Plus, it seemed to me like the make-up people could have done a better job with his hair - it looked longer and scragglier than it did in Fellowship, almost like he just got out of a sauna or something.

sauget.diblosio
Sailing Master

Mar 2 2013, 3:39pm

Post #20 of 20 (53 views)
Shortcut
I think he's [In reply to] Can't Post

thinner, less rounded, more angular. Like he lost his baby fat. He looks close enough to the same that it's not distracting, but i did notice it. Same with Ian Holm-- he looked (and sounded) older, but the make-up and cg people did such a good job (as with everyone-- Blanchet, Weaving, Lee) that it's not a distraction.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.