Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: "A New Power is Rising"

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 5:44pm

Post #1 of 7 (261 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: "A New Power is Rising" Can't Post

http://www.framecaplib.com/...ages/ttt/ttt0943.htm

This screencap is, to my mind, one of the most iconic in The Two Towers, when we first see Saruman's armed and dangerous force ready for battle.

As usual, feel free to answer any, all or none of the following questions:

1. What impression do you get of Saruman from this shot? Does it remind you of an emperor looking over his empire (or some such similar sort of thing)? To what level does it show that he has forgotten his purpose (i.e. to guide) in favour of ruling?

2. Do you approve of how the Uruk-Hai force was presented in the film? Did they match your own expectation? If not, were they better or worse than the Uruk-Hai you had imagined?

3. Any comments regarding the Uruk-Hai shown in the screencap? Do you like the contrast between the regimented and elite force of Saruman and the numerous, expandable forces of Sauron?

4. Any other thoughts/comments?

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 5:56pm

Post #2 of 7 (157 views)
Shortcut
Answers and a question! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Yes, that exactly describes how I felt about the scene. His priority has become ruling, he is proud to be a "New Power".

2. Yes, I loved the way the Uruk-hai force was presented in the film. I had pictured them all with more resemblance to Men than the average Orc, and equipped in a uniform manner, wearing Saruman's badge and marching under his banners, and this is exactly what I got. I also thought this image worked really well with the earlier development of the forges and Orc-breeding pits underground, where this all came from. That is how an army from that source should look!

I also loved the way the army sounded. Such a loud wave of sound, when they cheer in response to Saruman's speech.

3. Yes, I liked the contrast. It provided variety, but also showed Sauron's greater influence - his fighters were coming from widely dispersed places geographically and different Races.

4. There is a pretty-close-to-this moment shot that is one of my favorite TTT character moments - but I am not sure it is OK to bring this up now, as I am not sure how far ahead the next SCOD will be? It's the Image 950.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 6:00pm

Post #3 of 7 (145 views)
Shortcut
This one? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.framecaplib.com/...ages/ttt/ttt0950.htm

I'll leave this one here as well if anyone wants to comment on it. Wink

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Feb 28 2013, 6:01pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 7:09pm

Post #4 of 7 (119 views)
Shortcut
Just checking... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! I'm new to this discussion so I did not want to step on the toes of whoever leads the next discussion by jumping ahead too far. Wink

I really liked the dialogue between Saruman and Grima in this scene, I thought it was well-conceived, and brilliantly acted by Brad Dourif (who is great overall in this role). But it was my favorite moment, when he was saying it would be impossible to take Helm's Deep as that would require an army of thousands. And then he saw the army. He's a repellent character with base motivations, but still this moment was showing us he still has shreds of humanity left, and he had not fully realized the full extent of what Saruman was up to.

The moment when Grima holds the torch closer to the gunpowder to get a better look is a nice one too. It always makes me chuckle, and the way Lee's Saruman quickly steers it away is great too.

Tigero
Rivendell

Feb 28 2013, 7:10pm

Post #5 of 7 (118 views)
Shortcut
I will [In reply to] Can't Post

This was one of the small jewels of acting in LOTR, I felt exactly the same as Grima and that extinguished candle and the samll tear just tops it all off.

I interpret this so that at this very moment Grima really understood what he was into, he has been lured to act of trying to destroy whole Middle-Earth and he might even have slight regret about it.

It's hard not to draw a line between terrible rulers like Hitler to Saruman, they both have such a charismatic voice, almost like a symbol of authority.

Also you pointed out about the contrast between Saruman's and Sauron's troops, it's big! Wonder why they decided to show Saruman pretty much as evil or even fouler than Sauron.

Pessimists have no disappointments.

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 1 2013, 8:33pm

Post #6 of 7 (83 views)
Shortcut
The New Power [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What impression do you get of Saruman from this shot? Does it remind you of an emperor looking over his empire (or some such similar sort of thing)? To what level does it show that he has forgotten his purpose (i.e. to guide) in favour of ruling?

Yes. I cold have been any one of Hitler's speeches from that era, although the style is different, of course. It also is a nice nod to Saruman's voice which is described as subtle and influential.

2. Do you approve of how the Uruk-Hai force was presented in the film? Did they match your own expectation? If not, were they better or worse than the Uruk-Hai you had imagined?

I thought they were dangerous looking, and like Saruman wanted them to be, they were obviously uniform, because they were mass-produced. I liked the banners waving, and the roar of noise.

3. Any comments regarding the Uruk-Hai shown in the screencap? Do you like the contrast between the regimented and elite force of Saruman and the numerous, expandable forces of Sauron?

They used weapons appropriate to their enemies. Their march across the countryside with pikes would make sense, since the Rohirrim were horse-based, so if they got caught in the open, they would be able to form squares or schiltrons to defend themselves.

4. Any other thoughts/comments?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 12:44am

Post #7 of 7 (58 views)
Shortcut
I love how Saruman looks... [In reply to] Can't Post

crazed and disheveled at this point in the story, like it's all gotten away from him a bit, and he's in over his head. But it's a great scene, and a great shot, with awesome sound and brilliant special effects.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.