Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
dragon sickness - can someone please explain?

dik-dik
Lorien

Feb 28 2013, 12:21am

Views: 925
Shortcut
dragon sickness - can someone please explain? Can't Post

I've noticed people use this term a lot when referring to Thror and Thorin, and I'm not sure what precisely is meant by that. (I admit to not having watched most spoilers, interviews and vlogs, so no idea if it stems from there) It's not something I recognize from the books - as far as I recall, there was the greed / love / lust for gold and gems which was kind of natural to all dwarves, then the influence of the Ring of Power in Thror's case, and the influence of 'gold upon which a dragon has long brooded' later in Thorin's case - is by chance either of those identical with 'dragon sickness'? From the descriptions in the past threads, it sounds more like something akin to mental disease though, so I really have no clue. Explanation would be much appreciated. :)

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Subject User Time
dragon sickness - can someone please explain? dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik Feb 28 2013, 12:21am
    Dragon sickness (spoiler) Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 28 2013, 12:39am
        Great post about this. Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Feb 28 2013, 4:06am
            True true Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Feb 28 2013, 5:16am
                I really like that scene Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Feb 28 2013, 5:24am
            the ring Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Mar 1 2013, 1:41am
    In addition to what Brethil has said... Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Feb 28 2013, 1:57am
        Wonderful post! Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë Feb 28 2013, 3:56am
        Your summation speaks of the very nature of Tolkien's concept of evil Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 28 2013, 9:17pm
    Welcome, dik-dik! Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Feb 28 2013, 2:07am
        Thank you for the welcomes and explanations, everyone... dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik Mar 1 2013, 1:42pm
            Thanks for posting the question Dik-Dik! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 1 2013, 3:28pm
            Thorin Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 1 2013, 5:29pm
            You mean you haven't Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Mar 1 2013, 10:41pm
                Hmmm.... I think I have a related condition to the Thorin Sickness elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Mar 1 2013, 11:07pm
                    An alternate treatment would be Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Mar 2 2013, 2:55am
                        Ro I like that prescription! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 2 2013, 3:47am
                        I guess TDS could also stand for Thorin Deprivation Syndrome! elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Mar 2 2013, 8:41am
                thorin sickness Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Mar 2 2013, 10:39pm
                Re: dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik Mar 2 2013, 10:56pm
    In dwarves some of the first symptoms seems to be Plurmo Send a private message to Plurmo Feb 28 2013, 2:48am
        .... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Mar 1 2013, 5:12am
    Sure! stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Feb 28 2013, 1:12pm
    Dragon-sickness goes a bit beyond ordinary greed Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 28 2013, 5:07pm
    Also a note to remember Elberbeth Send a private message to Elberbeth Feb 28 2013, 5:46pm
    It commonly is caused by Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Feb 28 2013, 7:55pm
        LOL! Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Feb 28 2013, 10:43pm
    Some very good posts here. axecrazy Send a private message to axecrazy Mar 1 2013, 6:33am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.