Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What do you think of the new Oz film?

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 27 2013, 4:00pm

Post #1 of 20 (199 views)
Shortcut
What do you think of the new Oz film? Can't Post

I kinda like the look of it. They're definitely playing with fire, to coin a phrase. it could be really great, and people love it, or people will really hate it. It looks like they based it on some of the pre-Dorothy books of Oz, but I'm sure it will be a mashup of a bunch of things.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 27 2013, 4:25pm

Post #2 of 20 (177 views)
Shortcut
I hope that it is more successful than 1985's 'Return to Oz' [In reply to] Can't Post

Return to Oz was an underrated film that was also based much more strongly on the books than on the MGM version. I think that people were put off by how dark it got. I hope that the new one fares better.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 27 2013, 6:30pm

Post #3 of 20 (163 views)
Shortcut
The only thing that scares me [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this seeming mystery of who's the real Wicked Witch they seem to be playing up in the trailers. It's almost like they were influenced by the musical, a re-imagining of the same mythology, to come up with a plot of who's got good intentions and who doesn't. I hope that's not so, and that they simply make two of the witches the Wicked Witches of the east and West somehow. Wicked is a fine musical, but it's not really the children's Oz, it's dark with certain mean girl aspects that really bother me, personally. *shrugs* I guess they had to do that, and the actresses are all pretty good that they've got for this film. I guess they might be able to pull it off if that's the big twist.

I just hope it doesn't go all Snow White and the Huntsman on us. That was truly disappointing.

(This post was edited by Rostron2 on Feb 27 2013, 6:34pm)

Patty
Immortal

Feb 27 2013, 6:47pm

Post #4 of 20 (139 views)
Shortcut
Yes, SW was disappointing, except visually. Looking forward to Oz, though. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 27 2013, 6:54pm

Post #5 of 20 (150 views)
Shortcut
I'm really looking forward to it. [In reply to] Can't Post

As you say, it could be really great or really awful, as far as canon goes. I think it will be pretty no matter what. I was encouraged that they got the Wizard's name right, and that the china princess makes an appearance. (I loved the glimpse of the china country, with the houses shaped like teapots. How Ozzy is that?) I'm not sure how I feel about the whole romance with the witches thing. I guess we'll see how that goes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 27 2013, 6:55pm

Post #6 of 20 (176 views)
Shortcut
Return to Oz [In reply to] Can't Post

was pretty good about sticking to the books. The only thing I hated was that whole insane-asylum thing at the beginning. Way too dark for me.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 27 2013, 9:03pm

Post #7 of 20 (145 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

If we'll see the mostly missing golden cap that controls the flying monkeys? It's actually in the Wizard of Oz, but never mentioned.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 27 2013, 9:19pm

Post #8 of 20 (134 views)
Shortcut
I hope so! [In reply to] Can't Post

If the wizard says "Eppe, peppe, kakke, hillo, hollo, hello, zizzy, zuzzy, zik!" then I'll be really happy.

Malveth
Rivendell

Feb 28 2013, 12:34am

Post #9 of 20 (136 views)
Shortcut
I am an Oz Fanatic... [In reply to] Can't Post

And the more I see of this film the better it looks!

Visually, they've nailed Baum's Oz.

And it seems like they've struck a great balance between the Baum mythology (which is not entirely internally consistent), the MGM classic & something new,

I'm looking forward to it!

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 28 2013, 12:48pm

Post #10 of 20 (121 views)
Shortcut
Someone posted this on facebook today (link to buzzfeed.com) [In reply to] Can't Post

The 11 Most Traumatizing Moments From “Return To Oz.

I never liked Return to Oz - it's just rubbish compared to the Wizard of Oz. Angelic

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 28 2013, 2:27pm

Post #11 of 20 (108 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it was pretty creepy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I (and my kids, who were 80s kids) grew up with the books, so we loved Jack Pumpkinhead and Tik Tok and the Gump. And a lot of the rest of it was from the books too, including the princess with the heads (Langwidere in the books; Mombi was a different character entirely) and the Wheelers, and the Nome King (Baum spelled it Nome because he thought "gnome" was too confusing for kids). The only part my kids found terrifying was the end when the Nome King grows and grows into a kind of living volcano.

The Oz show my kids loved the best, besides the 1939 classic, was the filmed stage play "The Marvelous Land of Oz", which was a very well-done interpretation of the second book. They watched that over and over and over. Unfortunately it's not available on DVD, though there are some used VHS tapes out there.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 28 2013, 2:36pm

Post #12 of 20 (103 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad to hear it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice to know there are a few of us around. There's a person here on TORn whose nickname is Reera the Red, but she hasn't posted in a while.

I'm really excited about this movie.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 28 2013, 2:39pm

Post #13 of 20 (99 views)
Shortcut
In the book, Dorothy wasn't at all afraid of the princess with the heads. [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, their encounter included one of my all time favorite lines from an Oz book. The princess haughtily asks Dorothy if she's royalty, and Dorothy replies, "Better than that, ma'am. I'm from Kansas!"

elevorn
Lorien

Feb 28 2013, 8:03pm

Post #14 of 20 (91 views)
Shortcut
the musical, "Wicked" [In reply to] Can't Post

as I'm sure you know was based on a different book by, Gregory Maguire, "Wicked, the life and Times of the wicked witch of the west based on Baum's world and characters. Never read them myself though I did buy the ebook. I've also never read Baum's stuff, just know the Judy Garland television musical.

I'll have to check out the new movie when it hits netflix. I'm saving all my extra dough for The Hobbit on bluray.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 8:07pm

Post #15 of 20 (107 views)
Shortcut
There are so many interesting characters [In reply to] Can't Post

And weird little quests, like that underwater kingdom. The Woozy is a weird creature, and the Sawhorse...hilarious. I agree, they really got the look, but its so much easier with tech these days.

I like James Franco, he invests a lot in his roles, and I don't mind the ladies playing the various witches, they seem about right. Nothing, however, will ever top the wonder of seeing that classic film for the first time. I was fortunate enough to take my kids to see it on the re-release they did a few years ago. It was so crisp and clear and beautiful on the big screen as restored for Blu-Ray. Yeah, it's not the book, but Fleming did the world a great service. It paved the way for a whole new market in film, the way Tolkien paved the way for fantasy authors.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 28 2013, 10:32pm

Post #16 of 20 (93 views)
Shortcut
I remember the Woozy from my early childhood. [In reply to] Can't Post

My mom had a handful of the Oz books from her childhood, including the Patchwork Girl, which is one of my favorites. I didn't read the others until I was a little older, maybe 11 or 12.

When I first read LotR at age 13, I was struck by how much the scene where Tom Bombadil rescues the hobbits from Old Man Willow was like the scene where the Shaggy Man rescues Ojo from the man-eating plants. In both cases, it's music that accomplishes the rescue :-)

I first saw the Wizard of Oz movie at age 4, at a birthday party. Or rather the first part of it: I was taken away to another party before Dorothy ever got to Oz. I was heartbroken to miss the movie (we didn't have TV, and I'd never seen a movie before) so my folks got me a picture book of the story, and the soundtrack of the movie on LP, and both the book and the movie became my favorites for the rest of my life.

When we moved into our house 20 years ago, there was a local sugar beet plant that was being torn down, and there was lots of yellow brick to be had for a pittance. So my husband built me a yellow brick road in our backyard, and a little Emerald City made of green bottles and bowls :-)

Oh, and I love James Franco too <3 I'm so glad he was cast as the Wizard.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Feb 28 2013, 10:33pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 1 2013, 8:23pm

Post #17 of 20 (80 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some very Bombadil like moments. I really hope they try to match the eras, and avoid modern in-jokes and cultural references that will be dated in ten years. The old film is so pure, it could be shown at any time and be relevant.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 1 2013, 9:26pm

Post #18 of 20 (74 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

They showed a lot of wisdom in the old film taking out the "jitterbug" number. It's too bad it wasn't preserved as an outtake (beyond the amateur black-and-white footage), but it was the right decision to take it out.

If they do put in any cultural references, they should fit in with the time of the story (1870 or thereabouts, if the Wizard was a young man).

There's a lot about Oz and Tolkien that strike a similar chord in me. The Nazgul and the Winged Monkeys, Barad Dur and the Witch's castle, the giant spider that the Lion kills, the Munchkins with hobbity names like Boq and Ojo (Boq reminds me a bit of Bilbo, or the other way around). And the Yellow Brick Road that goes ever on and on...

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Mar 1 2013, 9:34pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 2 2013, 1:21pm

Post #19 of 20 (61 views)
Shortcut
One good link deserves another :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that link - I hadn't seen that film and I had no idea how frightening it was! In one of those comments, was this link, with an interesting analysis of the film:

http://366weirdmovies.com/the-three-fetishes-transformation-and-ethical-engagement-in-walter-murchs-return-to-oz-1985/

P.S. Welcome back from your adventure! Hope it was fun :-).

Malveth
Rivendell

Mar 10 2013, 1:50pm

Post #20 of 20 (70 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is easily the most faithful "Oz" movie ever made. I was blown away, almost moved to tears several times, by how carefully conceived and executed the film was. One or two things I would not have done, and it gets a bit "Raimi" at the end, but those are completely inconsequential complaints. Someone has *finally* put the Oz of L. Frank Baum on screen with a real budget. See it in 3D! I wish I had. I definitely missed out on the full effect of the visuals. Just See This Movie!! Do not miss it. It is an instant classic. Especially for fans of the books :) And AT LAST Glinda has been done right! Michelle Williams deserves an Oscar nod for best supporting actress, she is *amazing* in this film and is the perfect literal embodiment of Baum's Glinda!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.