Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #5
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 26 2013, 6:17pm

Post #26 of 51 (361 views)
Shortcut
My attempt [In reply to] Can't Post

1. No idea.

2. Bombur?

3. In the trees.

4. Fifteen birds in five fir trees (I hear the RB music in my head loud and clear)

5. Hanging on to its legs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 26 2013, 7:03pm

Post #27 of 51 (361 views)
Shortcut
Try five [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo is wearing the ring

2. Dori drops poor bilbo

3. Pine Trees

4. Dwarves and a hobbit sitting in a tree your in trouble and may have to pee. Tongue

5. He held onto Dori's leg for dear life.

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 26 2013, 9:27pm

Post #28 of 51 (353 views)
Shortcut
Love your #4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Though it could have helped quell the fires.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 26 2013, 10:18pm

Post #29 of 51 (346 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't remember it for the life of me so I went for off the wall funny. Cool

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 27 2013, 1:11am

Post #30 of 51 (359 views)
Shortcut
Mmmm...garlic :P [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo hears voices...after such traumatic adventures I suppose anyone might start hearing voices! Balin didn't see Bilbo because Thorin decided to follow the ancient legend of Beren and Luthien and wove a net out of his hair to cover the Company from unfriendly eyes while they were recovering from the Goblin tunnels. Oh yes, and Bilbo was still wearing the Ring.

2. I think it had been Dori's turn to cart poor Bilbo through the tunnels in a net of Thorin's hair when they were attacked from behind by the Goblins.

3. They were still hiding in Thorin's hair when the Wargs caught up with them, but unfortunately the Wargs could still smell so the hair didn't help--they climbed up several trees (pine and larch).

4. "Fifteen birds in five fir-trees" is what the goblins sang, which is hilarious because I don't think any of the trees the Company climbed were fir! Pine and larch, which shows that obviously the Goblins know nothing about botany. Also nothing about biology either, thinking the Company were birds. Too bad, they could have bombarded the Goblins and Wargs with guano if they had been birds.

5. Poor Bilbo! The net of Thorin's hair failed at this point, and Bilbo got his revenge on Dori for dropping him in the tunnels by hanging on to his ankles when the Eagles grabbed Dori. Of course, the alternative would have been crispy critter Frown

Tongue

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 27 2013, 1:57am

Post #31 of 51 (345 views)
Shortcut
Oops, guess I'm wrong! [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin and Dwalin did climb up a fir tree. I guess Goblins aren't quite so uneducated after all. Tongue But what kind of fir? Silver fir, noble fir, grand fir, Douglas-fir? Balsam fir, subalpine fir, white fir? these things are very important to a tree person! Back to botany class for you, Goblins!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Bellerock
Rivendell

Feb 27 2013, 4:29am

Post #32 of 51 (345 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, a campfire. Bring on the marshmallows! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Why didn't Balin see Bilbo? Because Balin had forgotten to take off his 3-D glasses, and everything was all blurry. (and Bilbo was wearing the ring.)

2. Who carried Bilbo in the goblin tunnels? That was Dori, which must have been very interesting for Bilbo. I would love to see the back of Dori's hairdo, all those intricate braids Smile

3. When the company hears the wolves howling they climb trees. I think Dori may have helped Bilbo here too.

4. The goblins are actually fairly musical, or at least they have good rhythm. They sing "Fifteen birds in five fir trees" in the old Rankin Bass cartoon, so I'll go with that.

5. How did Bilbo travel by eagle? Dori was once again pressed into service. Bilbo hung onto his legs the whole way, ala Ori in the movie. I thought at the time, that must be where the filmmakers got the idea.

Elvanui
Rivendell

Feb 27 2013, 1:56pm

Post #33 of 51 (320 views)
Shortcut
I happen to be listening to 'Out of the Frying-Pan' as I type! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo hears voices as he wanders down the slopes after escaping the goblins, and creeps up to see to whom those voices belong. Why doesn’t Balin notice Bilbo when Bilbo first sees him?
Because Bilbo is still wearing the ring. Balin is relieved when he finds out that it wasn't his eyes giving up on him after all.

2. Which Dwarf had been carrying Bilbo as they escaped the goblin tunnels, only to drop Bilbo and lose him when the Company was attacked from behind?
I think Dori was the one who was mostly responsible for taking care of the burglar in the book, so Dori.

3. The Company find themselves in a clearing when they suddenly hear wolves howling. Where do they quickly take refuge?
In the trees.

4. What’s the first line of the song the goblins sing? The second line is: “their feathers were fanned in a fiery breeze!”
'Fifteen birds in five fir trees.' Or something like that.

5. When the eagles rescue the Company, poor Bilbo is nearly left behind again. How is he transported by eagle [hint: it’s not riding on an eagle’s back]?
If it's not on an eagle's back I guess it must be in an eagle's talons.

Fin Smile

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

Nira
Lorien

Feb 27 2013, 4:57pm

Post #34 of 51 (313 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm feeling much better this week. Smile

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 27 2013, 8:06pm

Post #35 of 51 (326 views)
Shortcut
Whatever you do, don't do that! [In reply to] Can't Post

"...and will NOT be allowed to ogle Thorin as the eagles carry him away."
NOOOO! <Closes book>

1. He's invisible.(?)
2. Dori.
3. In the trees, otherwise they'd be warg biscuits.
4. "Down down to Goblin-town, hoho my lads!" No, wait. I think that's the last one. Crazy
5. The eagle clasped him in its talons.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards because a refusal often offends." - Terry Pratchett

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Feb 27 2013, 8:09pm)

GwaihirWindLord

Feb 27 2013, 9:12pm

Post #36 of 51 (300 views)
Shortcut
Did I miss #4? [In reply to] Can't Post

That chapter title always makes me hungry too! But today I just had some nice, crispy bacon so I'm ok.

1. Bilbo is still wearing the ring, from when he leapt over Gollum and squeezed out through the back door, popping off all of his lovely brass acorn buttons

2. These are the worst! I can never remember what dwarf did what, especially in the book where they are so interchangeable. I know when Bilbo sneaks up on them whoever it was is grumbling about always being expected to look after Bilbo and cart him around on his back. Maybe it was friend Balin? Oh but no, he was on lookout duty. Dangit. I'll go with Bombur then

3. In the trees! Although I doubt it happened that quickly, there had to be a lot of huffing and puffing and swearing and pushing.

4. Hmm, something about dwarves up fir trees? Oh but they call them birdies! Maybe 15 birdies in 3 fir trees? Something like that.

5. I think he hung onto someone else, one of the dwarves, their ankles or something. Either that or he grabbed the eagle's foot and got snatched up. Either way it sounds terrifying!

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 28 2013, 1:43am

Post #37 of 51 (288 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. He had the one ring on.
2. Dori
3. Trees
4. 13 dwarves in a fir tree
5. He grabbed on to an eagle.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 28 2013, 2:05am

Post #38 of 51 (294 views)
Shortcut
Belated! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Finally an answer I know - Bilbo was wearing the One Ring.

2. Dori?

3. In the trees.

4. "Thirteen Dwarves in five (?) fir trees."

5. In his talons.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Feb 28 2013, 4:00am

Post #39 of 51 (293 views)
Shortcut
Mods up!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Still laughing . . . Laugh

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 5:19am

Post #40 of 51 (279 views)
Shortcut
Whew - made it! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a week; I'll be so glad when Girl Scout cookie time is done this weekend!

1. Bilbo hears voices as he wanders down the slopes after escaping the goblins, and creeps up to see to whom those voices belong. Why doesn’t Balin notice Bilbo when Bilbo first sees him?
Hmmm... because he's hiding behind Girl Scouts selling cookies (or he's wearing his nifty new invisibility ring)

2. Which Dwarf had been carrying Bilbo as they escaped the goblin tunnels, only to drop Bilbo and lose him when the Company was attacked from behind?
Dori? total guess... unless it's Bombur, who stopped to pick up a stray Girl Scout cookie...

3. The Company find themselves in a clearing when they suddenly hear wolves howling. Where do they quickly take refuge?
In a handy group of trees. That, or behind a few dozen cases of unsold Girl Scout cookies...

4. What’s the first line of the song the goblins sing? The second line is: “their feathers were fanned in a fiery breeze!”
"The Girl Scout cookies have attacked our knees"

5. When the eagles rescue the Company, poor Bilbo is nearly left behind again. How is he transported by eagle [hint: it’s not riding on an eagle’s back]?

The eagle uses her unsold Girl Scout cookie boxes to fashion a Hobbit-sized carrier for Bilbo... or just grabs him in talons.

Sorry, Ro; I know the default answer of cluelessness is supposed to be Thorin.Frown
I'll try harder next time!Crazy After the Girl Scout cookies are gone from my living room...

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 5:37am

Post #41 of 51 (267 views)
Shortcut
Impressively, at that!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 28 2013, 8:17am

Post #42 of 51 (285 views)
Shortcut
Am I still in time [In reply to] Can't Post

wow, busy week. But I want to join, so here I go:

Balin is a well raised dwarve, and when somebody talks, you listen. Besides it was Thorin who was speaking, and, well, you know, listening to Thorin and looking at him, when he is in that majestic stance, with the last rays of sun light catching his hair, and you just see that one curl, being stubborn and going left when all the other curls go right, And, and, uhm, what was the question....?? And of course Bilbo was standing still, listening and aweing, when he was still wearing his ring.

That's what you get when you offer a wizard some chamomile tea (yuk), you have to carry a Hobbit. So Dori, learned a wise lesson to never offer Gandalf tea.

What would you do? Get-a-way car hasn't arrived yet. Moth service is closed in the early hours of the night. Jody Foster is already in the panic room. Of course you climb into the first thing near at hand, being a set of pine trees, with nice cones for fire works.

The Goblins stole this one from the Elves and gave it their own interpretation. It went something like: "Tro-lo-ley, Tro-lo-li".

Bilbo tried to copy Movie-Thorins majestic transportation mode, inside the claws of an eagle. But another dwarve had taken that spot, so all he could do was hang onto Balin and hope to not fall down.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 1:21pm

Post #43 of 51 (255 views)
Shortcut
Hehe, thanks Ethel! :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 28 2013, 2:44pm

Post #44 of 51 (262 views)
Shortcut
Vanilla [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally, someone well connected to the Girl Scout cabal!

Any chance there will ever be a vanilla only option for GS cookies? The half chocolate half vanilla boxes end up like so many cartons of Neapolitan ice cream: half eaten. (Well technically, in the case of the ice cream, 1/3 eaten -- though it's the chocolate that disappears around here, leaving the strawberry and vanilla behind.)

What say you?!
Angelic

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Feb 28 2013, 2:46pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 28 2013, 4:08pm

Post #45 of 51 (251 views)
Shortcut
I'd be glad to relieve you [In reply to] Can't Post

of some boxes of those crunchy cookies with cranberries in them, they are mavellous with a cup of coffee! Laugh

My sympathies as you navigate "Cookie Box Mountain"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2013, 4:11pm

Post #46 of 51 (258 views)
Shortcut
I get the Thin Mints! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 8:34pm

Post #47 of 51 (243 views)
Shortcut
Closest we get is the Trefoils [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that we offer in our council... We don't have the half-chocolate, half-vanilla ones around here. Crazy

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 8:39pm

Post #48 of 51 (242 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! I like the [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank You Berry Munches too. 'Course, we're not selling them here in Colorado...

And I just realized I missed an excellent IEC line last week... harrumph.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 8:41pm

Post #49 of 51 (251 views)
Shortcut
If you're quick enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

the Thin Mints have been practically flying out of our hands!

(This post was edited by Arandiel on Feb 28 2013, 8:42pm)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 10:55pm

Post #50 of 51 (245 views)
Shortcut
***QUIZ CLOSED*** [In reply to] Can't Post

Answers & Results posted as soon as I can! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.