Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Love-it-or-hate-it things in The Hobbit AUJ

Lio
Lorien

Feb 27 2013, 1:30am

Views: 778
Shortcut
Love-it-or-hate-it things in The Hobbit AUJ Can't Post

So, I've been thinking about the individual things in the movie that received mixed responses from fans, as opposed to other aspects that seem to be widely liked (the Riddles in the Dark scene) or disliked (it seems that many people thought the Stone Giants scene was a bit much). We've already had some interesting threads about the latter two over the past couple of weeks or so. So now I'm looking for things that were both loved and hated!

Here are some examples what I'm talking about:

• Radagast. His overall portrayal, and things like the stick bug gag and bunny sled, which some people seemed to love but others hate. Personally I'm pro-bunny sled but it would have been nice to see a bit more of Radagast's serious, powerful side. We should have a reason to fear and respect him as a Wizard.
  • Azog. His survival and design seem to be drawing a lot of ire from some, but others think he's cool. I like him as a character myself so in a way I was glad he's going to stick around a bit. But some of the changes in history that were necessary for this to happen kind of bug me. Crazy
  • The Goblin King. I recall reading some posts of people saying they disliked his portrayal, but I can't remember the specific reasons given. Personally I love his "drama queen" personality that is at once menacing and goofy. But I'd like to get other people's thoughts.
  • The final moments with Azog, Thorin, and Bilbo.The scenes from Thorin walking off that tree to his not-really-angry speech were really awesome! Or were they extremely cheesy? I kind of a agree that the way things played out was a bit conventional (did anyone doubt that Bilbo would save Thorin or that Thorin would finally accept him?) and the whole thing felt like a last-minute climax because there had to be one. But, eh, I can live with it.
  • The scenes with old Bilbo and Frodo. I liked seeing them again with familiar faces leading into the new movie, but I can see how others thought they were unnecessary.
  • Hmm, what else? I'll leave the rest for others to come up with. Tongue

I don't especially mean to start another debate topic, just compile a list of what some of those love/hate things are and get people's opinions of them. To reiterate, this thread should be for opinions about things that have received mixed feelings from fans, not individual likes/dislikes. (And I realize that for every little thing there are going to be people who love it and people who hate it, but I hope everyone knows what I mean by a mixed reception?)

Anyway, whether you think Radagast's bunny sled was the best thing ever or the fakey CGI ruined the scene for you, this is the place to speak up! Wink

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Subject User Time
Love-it-or-hate-it things in The Hobbit AUJ Lio Send a private message to Lio Feb 27 2013, 1:30am
    A U J dissapointment billzy2 Send a private message to billzy2 Feb 27 2013, 2:24am
        A Rumor I Heard Barrow-Wight Send a private message to Barrow-Wight Feb 27 2013, 3:34am
            rivendell billzy2 Send a private message to billzy2 Feb 27 2013, 4:27am
                That's True Barrow-Wight Send a private message to Barrow-Wight Feb 27 2013, 5:55am
                    Not to mention... BalrogTrainer Send a private message to BalrogTrainer Feb 27 2013, 7:14am
                Aragorn actually says his age in the trilogy though... Hamfast of Gamwich Send a private message to Hamfast of Gamwich Feb 27 2013, 8:26pm
            I think that was only fan speculation. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Feb 27 2013, 11:06am
        There is Always Hope IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Feb 28 2013, 2:01am
    The only thing I'd cut Kullervo Send a private message to Kullervo Feb 27 2013, 3:32am
        Yes, Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Feb 27 2013, 3:29pm
        Frodo/Bilbo Hamfast of Gamwich Send a private message to Hamfast of Gamwich Feb 27 2013, 8:30pm
    Radagast had a serious side Mahtion Send a private message to Mahtion Feb 27 2013, 3:58am
        wow... well said! swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Feb 27 2013, 4:33pm
    that stuff you love/hate... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Feb 27 2013, 6:08am
        Bilbo the narrator Glum Send a private message to Glum Feb 27 2013, 11:47am
            Bilbo the narrator arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Feb 27 2013, 1:22pm
            A few weeks ago cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Feb 27 2013, 4:17pm
                Well... Glum Send a private message to Glum Feb 27 2013, 6:39pm
            let me rephrase that... actually.... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Feb 27 2013, 4:28pm
    My love/hate things Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë Feb 27 2013, 7:28am
        but then I could not take my grandson mefansmum Feb 28 2013, 4:43am
    My thoughts Glum Send a private message to Glum Feb 27 2013, 9:55am
        You're not alone on this :) Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë Feb 28 2013, 6:33am
    I didn´t hate anything :) Marionette Send a private message to Marionette Feb 27 2013, 10:09pm
        "first Thorin's death" Hamfast of Gamwich Send a private message to Hamfast of Gamwich Feb 27 2013, 10:19pm
            Thorin's first death Marionette Send a private message to Marionette Feb 27 2013, 11:57pm
    This Forum JWPlatt Feb 28 2013, 7:04am
        The same goes for the LOTR trilogy DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Feb 28 2013, 8:32am
        I have a similar feeling... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Feb 28 2013, 12:29pm
        My thoughts precisely Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Feb 28 2013, 4:56pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.