Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit: AUJ Blu-ray US Retailer Exclusives Announced

Shagrat
Gondor

Feb 26 2013, 8:40pm

Post #1 of 18 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit: AUJ Blu-ray US Retailer Exclusives Announced Can't Post

A companion to the excellent thread made by TheHutt recently, taken from Blu-ray.com forums:

Best Buy

Exclusive Gollum cover, and a CinemaNow code for access to a 30 minute exclusive documentary feature: "A Hobbit's Tale Part 1: The Journey Begins". Possibly on disc too.

Target

Exclusive Packaging with Lego Figurine and Exclusive featurette

Walmart

Exclusive 64-Page Digibook

WBShop.com

Comes with an exclusive 8" x 40" Panoramic Poster

EDIT: WBShop image doesn't want to work for some reason...

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Feb 26 2013, 8:42pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2013, 8:45pm

Post #2 of 18 (434 views)
Shortcut
I hope there is a SteelBook version for the US.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 26 2013, 8:45pm

Post #3 of 18 (492 views)
Shortcut
Okay, so I just ordered at Amazon [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I wanted 3D Blu-ray. I am crazy enough that I would go buy one of these to get the exclusive content, too, even if it's not 3D. I will need a special room for all my LOTR/TH discs at this rate.

Of course, I already have a Bilbo Lego....

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 26 2013, 11:03pm

Post #4 of 18 (426 views)
Shortcut
It looks as though I will not be buying any DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

Like many people in the U.K., I don't have a Blu-ray player and have noted that the standard DVD in the U.K. does not include a preview code (unlike in the U.S., where the standard DVD also includes two disks rather than one, with additional content).

I will be passing on the DVD because I vehemently disagree with the way the film company has short-changed the film's enthusiasts in the U.K.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Feb 26 2013, 11:05pm)

elaen32
Gondor

Feb 26 2013, 11:31pm

Post #5 of 18 (375 views)
Shortcut
I agree Glorfindela [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't be buying it on release, will wait for the EE, probably. However, I can see it soon being offloaded into the bargain box in UK supermarkets if they insist on retailing it at 14.99 for a single disc with no extras. They're gonna have a lot of unsold stock on their shelves!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 27 2013, 1:19am

Post #6 of 18 (330 views)
Shortcut
Why would they do this? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't get what the upside is for the studio.

In Reply To
Like many people in the U.K., I don't have a Blu-ray player and have noted that the standard DVD in the U.K. does not include a preview code (unlike in the U.S., where the standard DVD also includes two disks rather than one, with additional content).

I will be passing on the DVD because I vehemently disagree with the way the film company has short-changed the film's enthusiasts in the U.K.

glor
Rohan

Feb 27 2013, 1:34am

Post #7 of 18 (327 views)
Shortcut
Just the usual [In reply to] Can't Post

Most major blockbuster DVD releases here in the UK are one disk, no extras unless the disk has space for a trailer on the end.

I think it's because most big selling DVDs are sold with the groceries in supermarkets usually about 1/3 below the RRP on release then, discounted to at least half the RRP a month or so later.

The Hobbit DVD release here isn't any different to Prometheus, Skyfall, Life of Pi etc, one disk, little or no extras.

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 27 2013, 1:46am

Post #8 of 18 (320 views)
Shortcut
Wow. How awful. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's funny, I know almost no I e who buys DVDs here in supermarkets, because they're more expensive there. And it takes awhile before popular movies are marked down.

There is a real market here for collectors sets, too.

In Reply To
Most major blockbuster DVD releases here in the UK are one disk, no extras unless the disk has space for a trailer on the end.

I think it's because most big selling DVDs are sold with the groceries in supermarkets usually about 1/3 below the RRP on release then, discounted to at least half the RRP a month or so later.

The Hobbit DVD release here isn't any different to Prometheus, Skyfall, Life of Pi etc, one disk, little or no extras.

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Feb 27 2013, 2:09am

Post #9 of 18 (314 views)
Shortcut
I love the Target cover! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hoped there'd be a US version with that one. Not sure how I feel about the Lego being stuck in the cover though... It looks kinda ugly.Crazy

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 27 2013, 2:28am

Post #10 of 18 (310 views)
Shortcut
Gonna end up getting [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one of them off amazon and the digibook from wal-mart.

Silmaril
Lorien

Feb 27 2013, 8:34am

Post #11 of 18 (278 views)
Shortcut
Exclusive documentary feature: "A Hobbit's Tale Part 1: The Journey Begins"? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Best Buy

Exclusive Gollum cover, and a CinemaNow code for access to a 30 minute exclusive documentary feature: "A Hobbit's Tale Part 1: The Journey Begins". Possibly on disc too.

this is interesting!

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Feb 27 2013, 8:35am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 27 2013, 11:16am

Post #12 of 18 (243 views)
Shortcut
I've checked my 'standard' UK LOTR DVDs [In reply to] Can't Post

They all have two disks, with disk one showing the film and disk two including special features. They were released a decade ago.

How is one to watch special features if they are not on the DVDs and if one doesn't have a Blu-ray player? Not to mention the fact that anyone buying a 'standard' DVD would not have access to the preview.

I have never bought a DVD in a supermarket.

As I said, I will not be buying any DVD for this film, no matter how much I like it.

In Reply To

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Feb 27 2013, 11:17am)

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Feb 27 2013, 1:09pm

Post #13 of 18 (231 views)
Shortcut
The 63-page digibook sounds most interesting to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be getting that. I don't really care about a Lego and what's the point of a special feature that you have to go online to watch?

elaen32
Gondor

Feb 27 2013, 3:47pm

Post #14 of 18 (181 views)
Shortcut
I agree again... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think UK and Europe generally is being very poorly served by this release. Looking at the price of the one disc Dvd in other European countries, some are even more expensive. I have bought dvds in the supermarket and they are nearly all 2 disc packs, in my experience,but I guess it depends on which film it is. There will be an element of trying to push people into upgrading to bluray etc, but economically, this is less likely to happen at present.
Don't even get me started on why we still have Dvd regions in this global age ( probably am displaying my ignorance on this point but still)
Rant over!

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 6:16am

Post #15 of 18 (103 views)
Shortcut
Why, there are European steelbooks... [In reply to] Can't Post

As listed here:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

elaen32
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 8:56am

Post #16 of 18 (100 views)
Shortcut
I always thought steelbook was part of the bluray format [In reply to] Can't Post

( if not, please excuse my ignorance on this) My point and Glorfindelas ( if I may quote her as well) was concerning the Dvd only package. As both of us said, Dvd rather than bluray still seems to be the norm in the UK ( anecdotal evidence only!). I just wondered why we couldn't have the same 2 disc Dvd only pack that is available in the US ( ie region 1) in a region 2 format. I agree that as far as bluray formats go, Europe has done fine.
Thank you for responding to my post and for the link.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2013, 2:44pm

Post #17 of 18 (76 views)
Shortcut
The steelbook is just a packaging style. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love steelbooks, and i have many-- dvds, blu-rays and video games. Even some cds.

elaen32
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 3:15pm

Post #18 of 18 (85 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this info [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll definitely have a look at the steelbook. Cheers!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.