Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thorin took work where he could find it, laboring in the villages of men

AshNazg
Rohan

Feb 26 2013, 1:05pm

Post #1 of 13 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Thorin took work where he could find it, laboring in the villages of men Can't Post

Am I right in assuming what Thorin is forging at Dale is the Black Arrow? If so, what significance will this have later?

The way I read it is that when Thorin was looking for work he met and was employed by Bard's family as a blacksmith. Here he made the Black Arrow for the very purpose it is used in the story and as such its destiny is later fulfilled - this gives Thorin more involvement in an area of the story that he's otherwise absent.

Thoughts?

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 26 2013, 1:15pm

Post #2 of 13 (560 views)
Shortcut
The shot was after Dale was destroyed [In reply to] Can't Post

And more than likely just one of many random settlements in Middle-earth. Plus, it was a sword.

Laugh

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 26 2013, 2:42pm

Post #3 of 13 (496 views)
Shortcut
Dale was destroyed by Smaug... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Am I right in assuming what Thorin is forging at Dale is the Black Arrow? If so, what significance will this have later?

The way I read it is that when Thorin was looking for work he met and was employed by Bard's family as a blacksmith. Here he made the Black Arrow for the very purpose it is used in the story and as such its destiny is later fulfilled - this gives Thorin more involvement in an area of the story that he's otherwise absent.

Thoughts?

When would Thorin's wanderings have taken him to Dale at the right time to forge the Black Arrow belonging to Bard's family? Smaug destroyed Dale right after he occuped Lonely Mountain. The survivors of Erebor probably didn't start working for Men just to scrape by until after crossing the Misty Mountains. It was never even confirmed that Bard's arrow was made by Dwarves. The odds that Thorin crafted the Black Arrow are incredibly long.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 26 2013, 4:48pm

Post #4 of 13 (412 views)
Shortcut
That would be a shift [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a way to arc in Thorin more to the story, but it's farfetched.

It's dangerous to quote book canon here versus movie canon, but the line is "if ever you came from the forges of the King under the mountain...blah blah..." Meaning it was made when the kingdom was thriving.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 26 2013, 10:36pm

Post #5 of 13 (311 views)
Shortcut
Also... [In reply to] Can't Post

If the arrow was forged under the Mountain then it was (as previously discussed) a relic of Girion's time, if not earlier. Another part of Bard's speech:

You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he from of old.

Prior to Smaug's attack, Thorin was probably too young and inexperienced to have crafted such a masterwork weapon. I do think that the workmanship of the arrow should suggest that it was of Dwarvish make.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2013, 6:18am

Post #6 of 13 (229 views)
Shortcut
well now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought of that....

thanks for the insights!

Go outside and play...

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 27 2013, 7:39am

Post #7 of 13 (242 views)
Shortcut
And oh, did he look good doing it. [In reply to] Can't Post

What? Someone had to say it! Cool

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 27 2013, 8:01am

Post #8 of 13 (231 views)
Shortcut
In complete agreement... [In reply to] Can't Post

It had to be said!
I just wish that sequence had been a little bit longer. Only so that we could see in more detail what exactly he was making there, of course... Tongue

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 27 2013, 8:07am

Post #9 of 13 (241 views)
Shortcut
Longer, purely for empirical purposes. *Ro nods knowingly* [In reply to] Can't Post

One should never stint when undertaking research. The longer, the better...

You do realize that Thorin was originally supposed to be shirtless in that scene, right? As per the Weta Chronicles book. Given that he's laboring over that hot forge, it's only natural he'd want to lose as many layers as possible.

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 27 2013, 8:23am

Post #10 of 13 (241 views)
Shortcut
Sigh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I know... That would have been interesting. Those tattoos would have needed closer inspection. Purely as a reference to Dwarvish culture, naturally... All in the interest of research.

Esmeralda
Bree

Feb 27 2013, 2:23pm

Post #11 of 13 (189 views)
Shortcut
I think it would be cool if... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the arrow that takes down Smaug was shown to have been made in the mountain that the dragon despoiled, crafted by the dwarves he ravaged and displaced. I love that kind of poetic justice.

I suppose it could have been forged during Girion's reign - if 5 or 6 generations of men could be considered "of old". So there is a remote possibility that a very young Thorin could have made it - perhaps a simple iron arrow wouldn't be too challenging for a talented dwarf princeling? (Why do I have a picture of his parents sticking his designs on the fridge along with Dis' fingerpaints and Frerin's etchings of uneven Cirth-script?)

The anvil-scene in the movie is great - showing a powerful dwarf-lord reduced to laboring for others. It encapsulates so much of where Thorin is at the beginning of the quest:

"A great anger without hope burned him, as he smote the red iron on the anvil." Appendix III - Durin's Folk

I'm also curious about the filming itself - in LotR, the commentary said they used actual hot metal for the forging scenes, so I'm wondering if Richard was actually hammering a white-hot bar of iron - while wearing prosthetic hands. Challenging much?

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 27 2013, 3:39pm

Post #12 of 13 (184 views)
Shortcut
I agree that it would make for a nice 'Easter egg' [In reply to] Can't Post

We could see a flashback of Dwarven smiths working under the Mountain and 'just happen' to glimpse the Black Arrow. Perhaps the following sequence shows the arrow as part of a shipment being sold in Dale when the city was still prosperous.

sharku
Rivendell

Feb 28 2013, 5:56am

Post #13 of 13 (122 views)
Shortcut
Arrow making [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It would be a way to arc in Thorin more to the story, but it's farfetched.

Don't you mean 'far-fletched' Laugh

(This post was edited by sharku on Feb 28 2013, 5:57am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.