Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Hobbiton set to shrivel in drought.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 25 2013, 6:28pm

Post #1 of 12 (308 views)
Shortcut
Hobbiton set to shrivel in drought. Can't Post

Bilbo Baggins' lush green shire could have the life sucked out of it after Waikato's undeclared drought restricted Hobbiton's water supply.
It's the region's driest summer in five years and, with no rain in sight, Matamata best known tourist attraction may become three hectares of parched grass and stressed plants.

Read the full story here.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2013, 8:03pm

Post #2 of 12 (118 views)
Shortcut
Uh oh. Not a good thing for pick-up shooting. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 26 2013, 5:28am

Post #3 of 12 (91 views)
Shortcut
How sad! [In reply to] Can't Post

When we were there in January it was so lush and beautiful, and we marveled at the small horde of gardeners keeping it in the perfect state of frowzy loveliness.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 26 2013, 6:27am

Post #4 of 12 (81 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, 'frowzy loveliness'. [In reply to] Can't Post

I must find a way to use that in everyday speech. Cool

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 26 2013, 6:28am

Post #5 of 12 (84 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure PJ would bring in tankers of water [In reply to] Can't Post

if they needed the Shire set for filming. Although it'd take a while to get long green grass once again.

Ataahua's stories

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 26 2013, 10:13am

Post #6 of 12 (79 views)
Shortcut
Sadness. [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the hard work that's been put into keeping Hobbiton in good shape, it seems such a waste to let it all shrivel! Not surprising that they're going on to water restrictions, though. It's similarly dry down here and there's hardly a drop of rain in the 10-day forecast. We've had very little rain all summer, and everything is going seriously brown. Our grass, both in our yard and in the paddocks, has barely grown in weeks. I can only imagine it's worse in Hobbiton! Frown

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 26 2013, 6:04pm

Post #7 of 12 (77 views)
Shortcut
Are you on reticulated or bore water? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or do you rely on a water tank?

Ataahua's stories

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 26 2013, 7:40pm

Post #8 of 12 (80 views)
Shortcut
Eight years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have given you a completely blank look if you asked that question! Now at least I know what a bore is. Smile

We're on a council-supplied system where we get so many litres going into a massive storage tank each day. (Does that count as reticulated???) It's more than we need, and so far we're not under water restrictions although I suspect we ought to be. Which reminds me I think the cow trough is overflowing...*runs to turn it off*

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 26 2013, 8:47pm

Post #9 of 12 (63 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's reticulated. [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like a version of trickle-feed, which is standard for water supplies to farms and other rural properties (but without a set limit per day). I'd be worried if you were only on tank water!

Ataahua's stories

elevorn
Lorien

Feb 26 2013, 8:57pm

Post #10 of 12 (61 views)
Shortcut
so sad, yet.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would still be happy to move to that part of the world and have been pitching the idea to my wife for almost a year. So far, she's not buying in..(twiddles thumbs and makes a few more notes on selling points)

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 8:23pm

Post #11 of 12 (30 views)
Shortcut
In Khan voice: [In reply to] Can't Post

SAUUUROOOOONNNNNN!!!!!

(This post was edited by Rostron2 on Feb 28 2013, 8:23pm)

Glaurung63
Lorien

Mar 3 2013, 12:52am

Post #12 of 12 (23 views)
Shortcut
Nature in action....bummer [In reply to] Can't Post

This happens and Hobbiton will have to deal with it, but I would still visit anyway and see the sights, drink and eat at the Green Dragon!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.