Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit will go 0 for 3
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2013, 2:21am

Post #1 of 131 (2559 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit will go 0 for 3 Can't Post

But not a surprise really. This is one film, not 3 and we have yet to finish it. Congrats to Les Mis on hair and makeup. They had one shot at the Oscar and I'm glad to see them get it. Out turn will come in 2015.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Feb 25 2013, 2:25am

Post #2 of 131 (1156 views)
Shortcut
It's looking that way [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the next two films will score some awards, but this is tough to see.

I think 48 FPS hurt them here. It's inviting criticism on every little detail.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Feb 25 2013, 2:29am

Post #3 of 131 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

The trilogy will be fantastic, IMO, but this won't be a trilogy worthy of Oscars, I think. The story just doesn't have the emotional weight that LOTR had. Even if the last two films will be grimmer, there isn't really any heartwrenching moments, like Aragorn's "You bow to no one", or Frodo departing Middle-earth. Even with the deaths of Thorin and some of the dwarves, it can't really hold a candle to LOTR's triumphant moments.

I do think Hobbit will snab some technical awards, though, for film 2 and/or 3. I just don't see it winning Best Picture. RotK won Best Picture for the trilogy as a whole, really, since it deserved it. Seeing as how lukewarm critics and apparently the Academy were to it, AUJ might put a dent on the trilogy's hopes of a big Oscar. But this is pure speculation on my part. Only time will tell, and I do wish it would get something as big as Best Picture.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2013, 3:02am

Post #4 of 131 (1086 views)
Shortcut
It's not tough for me to take at all [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one film. Not 3. I'm sure that's how the Academy see's it. That's how I see it. It's not done yet. Films like Les Mis only had one shot at an Oscar. I have absolutely no problem with them getting the nod. This films time will come. It will be in There and Back Again. It's all good. At least to me.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 3:50am

Post #5 of 131 (999 views)
Shortcut
Bummer :( [In reply to] Can't Post

That is all

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Feb 25 2013, 4:04am

Post #6 of 131 (970 views)
Shortcut
Don't mind them laddie [In reply to] Can't Post

In two years time The acadamy will view "There And Back Again" And they will think to themselves then: there is one who we could nominate. There is one we could call best picture.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 25 2013, 4:11am

Post #7 of 131 (956 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

1 would've been nice - even just to recognise that it was a great stab at Tolkien's book.

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 25 2013, 4:20am

Post #8 of 131 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Les Mis? Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time putting that film's hair and make up over AUJ! I mean...Thorin's hair alone is worth an Oscar, not to mention all the incredible prosthetic work. I'd like to know what was so special about the make up in Les Mis?

muttermutter....Mad

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 4:23am

Post #9 of 131 (907 views)
Shortcut
Lets hope. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 25 2013, 4:31am

Post #10 of 131 (934 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Granted I haven't seen Les Miz in the cinema(can't handle having to hear Russel Crowe sing "Stars"), but I still don't see how they beat out a movie that dealt with elaborate hair, beards, and prosthetics! Just doesn't make sense to me!

elentari3018
Lorien

Feb 25 2013, 4:32am

Post #11 of 131 (947 views)
Shortcut
That was such a rob...(for make-up) [In reply to] Can't Post

the critics just hated us this year... their movies went to more realistic movies this year and not to fantasy...
it sucks but oh well... Oscars don't count for everything.

I hope the next two movies will snag some awards though.

How were the results from the Saturn awards?

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2013, 4:56am

Post #12 of 131 (929 views)
Shortcut
Deserved [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the critics just hated us this year... their movies went to more realistic movies this year and not to fantasy...

I hope the next two movies will snag some awards though.

But if The Hobbit had won, that would have proved the Oscars worth? It's hypocritical.

The Hobbit got it wrong in too many places where simple fans could have advised better. Don't expect better from the Oscars if the writers and director continue to not listen. They make the film they'd go to see. More power to them, but the consequences will disappoint you at the Oscars. The Oscars don't mean anything anyway, so who cares?

Súlimë
Rivendell

Feb 25 2013, 5:00am

Post #13 of 131 (954 views)
Shortcut
Not surprising [In reply to] Can't Post

The critics are just especially against the Hobbit this year,,,

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 25 2013, 5:10am

Post #14 of 131 (861 views)
Shortcut
The Saturn Awards will be done in June sometime [In reply to] Can't Post

Just for FYI, AUJ is nominated in nine categories:
Best Fantasy Film
Best Director
Best Actor (Freeman)
Best Supporting Actor (McKellen)
Best Production Design
Best Music (Shore)
Best Make Up (and Les Mis is NOT among the nominees)
Best Special Effects
Best Costume

So here's hoping!! I'd be especially pleased if Martin Freeman won for Best Actor! Go Martin!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Morthoron
Gondor

Feb 25 2013, 5:34am

Post #15 of 131 (841 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't The Life of Pi a 3-D fantasy? It won four Oscars, including Best Director for Ang Lee. Oh wait, perhaps it won Oscars not because it was a fantasy, but because it was actually a good film.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

cats16
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 5:35am

Post #16 of 131 (864 views)
Shortcut
I think that [In reply to] Can't Post

the Academy and many others simply love it when actors are made to look "ugly" and "raw", like some of the characters in Les Mis. And, as others have said, TH will be recognized more as a whole rather than individual films.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 5:48am

Post #17 of 131 (834 views)
Shortcut
Lincoln [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing that bummed me more than The Hobbit going 0/3 was Lincoln not winning more. It's on my personal best ever list and I'm glad Argo did so well it was very good.

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 25 2013, 5:51am

Post #18 of 131 (812 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I really liked both those films too [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm so glad DDL won for Best Actor. What baffles me is how Argo won for Best Picture yet Ben Affleck wasn't even nominated in the Best Director category. I guess they figure it directed itself. Evil

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 5:53am

Post #19 of 131 (798 views)
Shortcut
That was odd [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't figure that one out myself.

elentari3018
Lorien

Feb 25 2013, 6:02am

Post #20 of 131 (802 views)
Shortcut
i was disappointed for Lincoln too-- it was quite snubbed... [In reply to] Can't Post

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2013, 6:03am

Post #21 of 131 (787 views)
Shortcut
I was glad to see DDL win as well [In reply to] Can't Post

He did a tremendous job and glad to see him get the kudos. Really all of the nominees in the major categories were good. I was kind of disappointed for the elderly actress in Amour though. I'd have liked to have seen her win one.

elentari3018
Lorien

Feb 25 2013, 6:03am

Post #22 of 131 (791 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for informing me :) [In reply to] Can't Post

i will look out for the announcements in June.

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 6:29am

Post #23 of 131 (883 views)
Shortcut
Anti-"franchise" bent [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been saying all along that whatever TH got nominated for, it would lose, b/c the Academy is on an anti-franchise crusade right now. They've had it up to here with superhero films and such taking over the multiplex, it seems, so anything that screams "blockbuster", would lose, no matter its literary pedigree. (How they apparently don't count James Bond as a franchise under those circumstances is a mystery. I guess they mean franchise in its modern, "empty" sense.)
it also eplains why Adele, a pop artist, won a Best Song Oscar from a Music Branch of the Academy that is historically notoriously against pop stars nonimated--ask Jonny Greenwood, U2 and our very own would-be Song noninee.

This was one of the strangest yrs in Oscar history, and this comes from someone who follows the Oscars every yr for many yrs.

First: consider Argo winning Best Picture. It won in spite of:

1)Topicality. Oscar always shies away from, it absolutely HATES, political/overty topical categories--the last such was Gentlemens Agreement back in the early 60's. I can't think of any others. Oscar history is filled with decades of voters bending over backwards to nominate and vote for films that are uplifting/happy endings, no matter how poorly written, directed, or blandness, set in ancient settings/costume dramas, if there's a medicre film out there, they will find it. Script which deal with names and places, set in the modern-day, BIg no-no. Even if they make tons of money. WW2 movies are their own genre and d not count here. And surprisingly few of those have actually WON, as opposed to merely being nominated.
Argo couldn't be more topical, outside of Zer Dark Thirty. Film depicting true-life incident involving the CIA, set during the Iranian Hostage Crisis. Even if it was sold as a comedy. Yep. I'll get on this topic more in a minute.

2)Speaking of money. Argo was a non-event at the box-office, and I mean a non-event. It came out the same time as Lincoln--early November--and stayed in the theater maybe only 3 weeks then it was gone. It had barely any media coverage. It cant have done more than 50 million domestic, and I'd be suprised if many peope heard of it worldwide until Iran said that it was going to make its own "version of events" (*snort*.) I don't recall anyone talking aobut Argo. By contrast, Lincoln has made some $200 million here, and is still in some theaters after 3 months. (considering TH has left most US theaters by now, that's an accomplishment.) It has gotten tons of media coverage, a de facto Presidential endorsement (he talked at length about it after the US Elections) and the book it was based on, Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals" has become a best-seller here.
All the other fillms nominated made a lot more money at the box office. Even Life of Pi.

3)No critics awards, hardly any Guild nominations, hardly any Oscar noms. How many did it get? 4 or 5? Everything else got 6 or 7 or more. During critics season, it got hardly ny noms. No national news organizations, no AFI or other noms, maybe a Globe nom or two. But nobody was talking about Argo.Zip. No critics (even Beast of the Southtern Wild got more press). Add this with no box office and you seem to have a dead film. Until...

4) No directing nom for Ben Affleck. Without a directing nom, you CANNOT win BP--it's an ironclad rule. It's only happened maybe 2 or 3 times in the entire Oscars history going back to 1929. Plenty of film have won BP without winning Best Director--a pic/director split is common--but your film at least has to have the directing NOM. Tonight is one of those times. Argo won BP with not only no critical mass (I'm talking not about critical reaction but the film as an EVENT) and almost total audience indifference, but no directing, acting (Not a single one of the 4), or most of the technical noms. I'm not even talking about wins, I;m talking NOMINATIONS!

5)Consider what did win, and that those films lost Best Picture.
--Les Mis: Best Supporting Actress, and 3 of the technicals--4 total. It also got snubbed for Best Director, and it lost BP. Unlike Argo, which won. Even though Les Miz got more Oscar wins, including an Acting win.
--Life of Pi: Best Director, Best FX (Grrr--THAT was pure politics--it's as if the Academy was sending Peter a message: "THIS is the way to do 3D, if you want to do 3D. Do it the old way, not no new-fangled 48 fps junk! It hurts our eyes, precious!" Will be nteresitng to see what Peter thinks now. Is this the first time a 3D film has won major Oscars?) Best Score, ans 2 other tecnicals. 5 total.
--Django (Damn you, Harvey--that racist pile won something big, I don't care hoe entertaining it was, IMO the SUBJECT MATTER shouldnot be treated as pure entertiament) 2 major Oscars total (Script, Supprting Actor)

Argo? Just a script and editing award. that's IT.

6)What the HECK did Ben Affleck do to make himself so popular? Argo wasn't on the radar until he got snubbed for a directing Oscar, then OMG!!!!! a 10.0 quake hit Hollywood Hills and the bottom dropped of LA. After that, every guild was falling all over themselves to award Argo. While Spileberg, one of our ntionl treasures whose film had become a genune Event, was snubbed. DDL for Actor and Production design, which t didn't deserve. 2 ouyl awards out of 10 noms. Or was it 11? And from th way the TV peopl were talking, it was hinsted early on, even on the day the noms were anouced, that Lincoln didn't have BO in the bag. Though the film with the most usually wins, excet in cases like LOTR where you knew there were going to be 2 more or it was in a fringe genre like fantasy.

And if anyone thinks this wasn;t politics, consider who presented the BP Oscar, even by video: Michelle Obama, surrounded by soldiers. I'm disturned by this. Considering how much they publicly laudded Lincoln, they wanted it to win.
This ends the world a message: oo-rah--America is still Tough, we're Number 1. Anyone says this was Dems anding a victory--dont underestimate the Clint Eastwood Republican faction in Hollywood! Maybe it was both!
*j/K..or maybe not!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Feb 25 2013, 6:35am)

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 7:19am

Post #24 of 131 (755 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where simple fans could have advised better? Lol, I guess a lot of people disagree on that one.

Other than that; It was expected. The only real shot was Makeup... it would not have bugged me to see it go to Hitchcock... but Les Mis? That make-up and hair was simply unrealistic for that time in France. Especially the prostitutes.

The whole Hobbit trilogy will suffer from the "seen before" feeling - the fans should get used to it! There could be some more noms fpr DoS and TABA (if the reviews get better and there is more momentum) - but with the anger of some over the three-movie split and HFR, plus TABA being released in the summer (usually bad for momentum) - people should try to stay realistic with the hopes there.

As long as a majority of the audience and the fans is satisfied, it is not like very similar work has not been recognized before.

Really happy for Argo, though. I still believe Affleck not being nominated for Best Director was one of the biggest snubs in recent years.

I think some people (here and elsewhere) take the Oscars too seriously... this year was a very good movie year with the frontrunner changing from ZDT to Les Mis to Lincoln to Argo.

The awards kind of reflected that in the end. I think it is still a fun thing with all the speculations and predictions.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Feb 25 2013, 7:23am)

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 7:34am

Post #25 of 131 (731 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the order was, from Lincoln to Les Mis to ZD30 to Argo.

And no, it's not that I take the Oscars seriously--it's just that I've watched them every yr since I was little.
The Oscars ARE a serious thing though, in some quarters. If you read Oscar history you'll find that at times different people around the world take them more seriously than we seem to do. And as representing what America is aboit to the world...well, again, in some quarter they're a big deal.

I agree--this has been the best yr for films in quite some time. Though it seems to come in bunches--by some fluke, we have years full of great movies followed by "fallow" yrs like last yr, when nothing was good, much. Production should spread it around more!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Feb 25 2013, 7:35am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.