Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Elrond's Germanic vocals at Mount Doom

ringme
The Shire

Feb 25 2013, 12:07am

Post #1 of 9 (515 views)
Shortcut
Elrond's Germanic vocals at Mount Doom Can't Post

When urging Isildur to "cast it into the fire" Elrond sounds like a cross between Arnie Schwarzenegger and Boris Becker. He does ,admittedly, indisputably, sound impressive and authoritative but he seems to have strangely lost this teutonic tinge to his voice three-and-a-half thousand years later...

Misto
Lorien

Feb 25 2013, 1:58pm

Post #2 of 9 (331 views)
Shortcut
Ooops... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I watched this part only today and I can't remember recognising that. Blush

Here's a German's wild guess, though: Since it's a rather urgent command Elrond might pronounce the words separately to make sure they hit the mark. Thus it would read something like this: Cast! it! into! the! fire! While this is not the usual pronunciation in English it is the way German is being spoken and the reason why Germans speaking English tend to sound rather funny unless the speaker is both very aware of this issue and rather proficient in oral English.
So. I. guess. zat's. why. it. sounds. a. bit. like. Arnie.Tongue

ringme
The Shire

Feb 25 2013, 4:31pm

Post #3 of 9 (333 views)
Shortcut
subjective [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, cool, thanks for that. I personally would have liked Elrond to have cried "On me head son!" To which Isildur responds by lobbing the ring up for Elrond to head back to him. Elrond heads it back to him. Isildur takes it with his instep and does 50 keepy-uppies with it before floating it back to Elrond who overhead scissor-kicks it into the magma. Hang on though...maybe not, because then LOTR wouldn't have happened!

Elvanui
Rivendell

Feb 27 2013, 2:33pm

Post #4 of 9 (256 views)
Shortcut
I've always noticed that too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially on the word 'fire' which he gives two very distinct syllables, almost like he's saying 'fi-yar!' and rolls the r (I think). I didn't think 'Oh, Germanic!' but I've always thought his pronunciation there was interesting.

I like the scissor kick idea Tongue

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

CuriousG
Valinor

Mar 1 2013, 6:39am

Post #5 of 9 (205 views)
Shortcut
At that point he sounds Bostonian [In reply to] Can't Post

where "sure" becomes a distinct 2-syllable word, "shoh-yah." "Fire" works the same way here.

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 1 2013, 8:53pm

Post #6 of 9 (195 views)
Shortcut
That whole sequence [In reply to] Can't Post

Is brilliant, going back to what happened. However he said it, it explains so much. I also liked him at the battle scene in the beginning of FOTR. That was a cool sequence, and how the ring actually got 'cut from Sauron's hand' is actually quite brilliant if you think about it. You weren't going to wrestle a demigod and hold his hand down and cut the ring off. The desperation is just right.

ringme
The Shire

Mar 2 2013, 3:23am

Post #7 of 9 (198 views)
Shortcut
Conan 'n' the hood [In reply to] Can't Post

I have theories: Either Hugo Weaving forgot he is Australian and began thinking he was Austrian which is how he ended up sounding like Arnie or maybe he got confused and thought he was in Conan the Barbarian . Or maybe both of those things. At least he doesn't sound Irish like Russell Crowe in Robin Hood.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 5 2013, 5:39pm

Post #8 of 9 (154 views)
Shortcut
Elrond was cool [In reply to] Can't Post

in his armour *swoon* and I liked the fact his hair was slightly blacker to show he was slightly younger being a mere 2 thousand years later.

ringme
The Shire

Mar 5 2013, 9:51pm

Post #9 of 9 (163 views)
Shortcut
tryin to be funny [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe the hair blackness was achieved with Grecian 2000.Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.