Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So, Quint's Set Reports...

AshNazg
Rohan

Feb 24 2013, 8:03pm

Post #1 of 16 (1292 views)
Shortcut
So, Quint's Set Reports... Can't Post

...just to let you know, I'm filing them just below the 20 questions under "not going to happen"

Mad

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Feb 24 2013, 8:10pm

Post #2 of 16 (625 views)
Shortcut
Well, I wouldn't write them off just yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the most obvious explanation is that they fell victim to the change from 2 films to 3, and his next reports will cover stuff which is now in Desolation of Smaug...and we will get them later this year, as excitement begins to build again for the second movie.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Carne
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 8:11pm

Post #3 of 16 (581 views)
Shortcut
He said he'll start posting them again once we get closer to TDOS [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably WB asking him to wait.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 24 2013, 8:15pm

Post #4 of 16 (592 views)
Shortcut
Random speculation ... [In reply to] Can't Post

When it was announced that The Hobbit would become a trilogy, some speculated that it had been the production teams intention all the time (or at least, long before the announcement around ComicCon time).

Looking back at the past year, it's pretty obvious that the reason Quint's reports were delayed were because of the decision to change 2 films to 3. However, it's been a year since we heard anything from him.

I wonder ... did PJ and co. have the idea of a trilogy this time last year, and not just before ComicCon? Hmmm....

AshNazg
Rohan

Feb 24 2013, 8:29pm

Post #5 of 16 (542 views)
Shortcut
Ah! I temporarily forgot there's still the second and third movies to come yet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Derp Blush

**gets really excited for some reason**

lol

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 8:44pm

Post #6 of 16 (499 views)
Shortcut
derp, derp [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughSmileHeart

oh, yeah...there's moooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrreeee!!!!

Go outside and play...

jtarkey
Rohan

Feb 24 2013, 10:03pm

Post #7 of 16 (457 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry, in the words of Quint himself...."The next one is coming soon!"

I think DanielL is right though, there is no way the trilogy decision was as instant as it seemed to the public. If true, they really should have let people know a little sooner. It might have helped with AUJ's reputation. It's becoming a running gag in the film industry that The Hobbit will just go on forever with an infinite amount of films.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 24 2013, 11:18pm

Post #8 of 16 (415 views)
Shortcut
What is a Quint, precious? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Hobbit will just go on forever with an infinite amount of films.

I hope so. Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 24 2013, 11:51pm

Post #9 of 16 (417 views)
Shortcut
He's a member of aintitcool.com. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a link to one of his reports from The Hobbit set.

Fair warning: The comments section on AIC has rough language hither and yon.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 12:05am

Post #10 of 16 (373 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's fantastic – lovely to see the locations, and he writes well.

The rough language doesn't bother me.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2013, 12:10am

Post #11 of 16 (376 views)
Shortcut
Most of us are used to rough language, [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's nice to have a warning anyway in case some people find it offensive Smile

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 25 2013, 12:31am

Post #12 of 16 (358 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

"it's nice to have a warning anyway in case some people find it offensive"

We try to warn about swearing etc. so that people can make a choice about whether or not to follow a link.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2013, 12:43am

Post #13 of 16 (376 views)
Shortcut
trilogy decision [In reply to] Can't Post

In the production videos (which you can find on youtube) they are pretty careful to not show anything about what was going to be in film 2 (when it was going to be two films-mentioning "we can't show you this or that" several times) so I would imagine with how guarded they have been with spoilers, and yet showing production videos of barrels out of bond which is clearly in DOS, makes me think that in all honesty a trilogy was not their intent for a good while-I think it was a post production or near end of shooting decision because otherwise they would not have shown so much of mirkwood forest (despite the psychedelic coloring) and barrels and such if they wanted to avoid spoilers. Perhaps when it came down to it they found out they had far too much filmed running time length wise to make two films, unless they made them each four and a half hours (give or take) long, which would have completely nixed the possibility of viewings on IMAX, which I think I read somewhere is limited to movies 170 minutes or less. They probably wanted to ensure IMAX viewings to make more money, so had to cut down each theatrical release to be under that 170 min window.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2013, 3:35am

Post #14 of 16 (316 views)
Shortcut
I think it was definitely made quite a while before the announcements... [In reply to] Can't Post

Before any announcements could be made, they had to make a LOT of arrangements for the extra shooting-- basically like setting up another normal film production. Plus, they needed to work the extra script material out and scratch the BoFA filming and substitute whatever the new material was. That's a lot of juggling. Sounds like a few months work to me.

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 25 2013, 4:53pm

Post #15 of 16 (200 views)
Shortcut
He was captured by Azog // [In reply to] Can't Post

jtarkey
Rohan

Feb 25 2013, 7:15pm

Post #16 of 16 (170 views)
Shortcut
Or......He IS Azog! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dun dun dun.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.