Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
China Box Office
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Feb 24 2013, 5:32pm

Post #1 of 37 (2091 views)
Shortcut
China Box Office Can't Post

Opening weekend now over in China. Any word on BO results?

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 5:55pm

Post #2 of 37 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Yes, in the thread that just got pushed to the 2nd page. [In reply to] Can't Post

But i might as well re-post the estimates.

$5.6m Friday
$7m Saturday

Weekend should be around $18m, maybe $19m, if those estimates hold.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Feb 24 2013, 5:57pm)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Feb 24 2013, 6:00pm

Post #3 of 37 (1085 views)
Shortcut
so the total gross of the film is currently, [In reply to] Can't Post

$979m? :)
1 billion will be easy!

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 8:18pm

Post #4 of 37 (1002 views)
Shortcut
New total [In reply to] Can't Post

Domestic: $300,947,000
Foreign: $679,000,000
Worldwide: $979,947,000

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 8:49pm

Post #5 of 37 (958 views)
Shortcut
Here's a report from The Wrap [In reply to] Can't Post

http://mobile.thewrap.com/...contentguid=Y6OEcJqx

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Elk2013
The Shire

Feb 25 2013, 4:14am

Post #6 of 37 (819 views)
Shortcut
120m Yuan so far [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saw a report saying the opening week(Friday to Sunday ) BO reached 120 million Yuan, that is around 20m USD.
Pretty Good?Wink

(This post was edited by Elk2013 on Feb 25 2013, 4:16am)

elentari3018
Lorien

Feb 25 2013, 4:34am

Post #7 of 37 (654 views)
Shortcut
i'm glad that we're doing so well world-wide [In reply to] Can't Post

:) Thanks for the update.

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 25 2013, 5:14am

Post #8 of 37 (675 views)
Shortcut
Yes, thank you for keeping us posted! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's hoping China's numbers will push it over the billion dollar mark!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 25 2013, 7:09am

Post #9 of 37 (612 views)
Shortcut
I suppose an important question is, how do films generally hold up in shelf life in China [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it similar to the way things are in the U.S.A. ? If the initial weekend profit in China is 17 - 19 million, as it is here, should the total be expected to reach or exceed 39 to 50 million?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 25 2013, 7:52am

Post #10 of 37 (595 views)
Shortcut
Why is everyone ignoring India?...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 11:06am

Post #11 of 37 (565 views)
Shortcut
In general... [In reply to] Can't Post

... probably because its numbers are not that high compared to its population and because trustworthy numbers seem to be even harder to come by than those of China.

For the Hobbit, however, I also wonder how much India's number might go up... the numbers have not been updated since January 6 ($1,8 Mio).

For comparison, Avengers made $12,6 Mio, Skyfall $10,9 Mio and Dark Knight Risis $9,2 Mio in India.

(Btw: What a future market, with India on its path to outgrow China population-wise and with the continued economic growth.)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2013, 12:30pm

Post #12 of 37 (538 views)
Shortcut
Any reason for this? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For the Hobbit, however, I also wonder how much India's number might go up... the numbers have not been updated since January 6 ($1,8 Mio).

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 12:40pm

Post #13 of 37 (525 views)
Shortcut
I guess the fact... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that it is hard to get reliable sources and numbers in a country with the infrastructure-circumstances of India.

peace1993
Bree

Feb 25 2013, 1:23pm

Post #14 of 37 (511 views)
Shortcut
Its tough being a M-E fan in India [In reply to] Can't Post

The numbers have not been updated because the film was removed from all major centers by that time.
For some reason, M-E is not very popular in India.
Luckily for me, I was abroad when LOTR was released. It opened my ignorant eyes and led me into the wonderful world of Tolkien.

Sam: Trust a Brandybuck and a Took.
Merry: What? That was just a detour, a shortcut.
Sam: Shortcut to what?
Pippin: Mushrooms!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2013, 1:37pm

Post #15 of 37 (518 views)
Shortcut
Shelf life is rather short [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say on average a Hollywood movie is in theaters for about 4 weeks. It should exceed $40m but might come short of $50m.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2013, 4:05pm

Post #16 of 37 (455 views)
Shortcut
I suppose there are just cultural barriers with many countries. [In reply to] Can't Post

How well would a film of the Mahabharata play in the West?

You can make such films appealing but you have to change quite a bit of the cultural material. I think of some of the Chinese films...Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon etc. as the occasional success.

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 25 2013, 5:01pm

Post #17 of 37 (443 views)
Shortcut
I'm flying out to Hong Kong for business, so I might look to see [In reply to] Can't Post

whether there's crowds at the theaters, if I can find them, or have time.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2013, 8:52pm

Post #18 of 37 (439 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link to BoxOffice.com's prediction. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.boxoffice.com/...s-strong-debut-frame

It appears they think it will eclipse $1 Billion by next weekend.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Feb 25 2013, 8:53pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2013, 9:02pm

Post #19 of 37 (378 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad to see this [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only for this film but for others (Avengers etc). AUJ along with some of these others open very late in China. All of these films are some of the most downloaded and pirated on the internet. Good to see that people are shelling out money to go to the movies. I like that. It would have been easy enough just to download and view it and not bother with the cinema. I don't know China's internet policies but given the fact that a lot of internet shenanigans goes on (gold sellers for games for instance) I would doubt they block a lot of torrent sites. Well maybe they do. I don't know.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 26 2013, 12:19am

Post #20 of 37 (310 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'd say on average a Hollywood movie is in theaters for about 4 weeks. It should exceed $40m but might come short of $50m.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 26 2013, 12:27am

Post #21 of 37 (329 views)
Shortcut
Evidently they are the fourth biggest opening ever for a U.S. film in China, so [In reply to] Can't Post

that bodes well, since smaller openings with less appeal, less quality (in my opinion), and which opened much nearer to their U.S. went on to make an excess of 50 million in the end. Men in Black 3 is the primary example this year. It made 77 million there.

In Reply To

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2013, 4:31am

Post #22 of 37 (272 views)
Shortcut
Men in Black 3 opened to $25m... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and it had a great 2nd weekend drop thanks to some holiday.

It might go over $50m but not $60m.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Feb 26 2013, 4:31am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 26 2013, 6:07am

Post #23 of 37 (265 views)
Shortcut
If only three other movies have opened higher than The Hobbit, [In reply to] Can't Post

and Men in Black 3 is one of them, with the other two accounted for. . . then Men in Black 3 made more in opening than The Avengers in China? It certainly made less overall.

Also intersting is that while the latest Batman film and the last Harry Potter made more in their opening, one had a 4 rather than a three day opening, and Dark Knight Rises had a seven day opening count (started its run there on a Monday).

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2013, 10:58am

Post #24 of 37 (232 views)
Shortcut
Avengers made $19m in two days (Sat - Sun) [In reply to] Can't Post

When they say Hobbit is the 4th biggest 3-day opening, i guess they only count movies that opened on a Friday, so not Avengers for example.

I dunno which are the other 2 movies that opened bigger (3-day) than Hobbit.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2013, 1:45pm

Post #25 of 37 (213 views)
Shortcut
A shot at Skyfall? [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone think that AUJ can make another $3.5 million domestically to pass Skyfall for 4th place for 2012?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.