Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*unlocks doors* Welcome to Friday Fiesta! :D
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 23 2013, 1:32pm

Post #51 of 83 (118 views)
Shortcut
Still sick [In reply to] Can't Post

I've has a nasty cold/cough for almost five weeks now. It got a,bit better but now the cough is back with a vengeance. I'm seeing the doctor Monday because it's probably bronchitis. I'll just have tea.

My granddaughter wants to see AUJ again (so do I,of course) so we might do that today or tomorrow. It's not in my town any longer so it will be a bit of a drive but it's IMAX 3D which will be my third format.

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 23 2013, 5:59pm

Post #52 of 83 (112 views)
Shortcut
my sympathies [In reply to] Can't Post

I have that kind of mom too; a sour person who doesn't actually seem to like any of us, including my dad. I "know" she loves us really, but none of us feel loved.

My outside limit for time spent with her is 36 hours, so I'm amazed that you haven't taken an axe to her yet.

People who have sweet moms may be shocked, but I get it.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2013, 7:31pm

Post #53 of 83 (88 views)
Shortcut
How sad! [In reply to] Can't Post

My sympathies on the loss of your pet! Thirteen years is a good "old" age for a retriever, but still, it's such a heatbreak. Hugs to you and your family!

What are you interviewing people for? To help with the mounds of data you've managed to collect? Smile

Thank you for the pics. Smile What friendly critters you met down there! Are those rusting remains part of what was once a fishing port? And...they don't really cook blubber, do they?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2013, 7:41pm

Post #54 of 83 (92 views)
Shortcut
Warning: cuteness attack! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh! Those kittens seem to have grown up so quickly! I've got to ask: does Scooter actually retrieve the tennis balls? Wink

So what are you getting from this storm? Slush, or snow?

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 23 2013, 8:53pm

Post #55 of 83 (93 views)
Shortcut
36 hours, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a good thing you've figured out your tolerance time. That sounds rough, but I expect you've learned to live with it.

My mom's not quite that bad. She does do nice, thoughtful things, and she means well. The main problem is that she wants to fix everybody, and is quick to notice everything that needs improving and slow to notice (or blind to) the good things. Not so bad over a few weeks, but this is a five-month visit. Mostly I wish she could appreciate the boys for what they are, rather than only being able to see how (in her eyes) they ought to be.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 23 2013, 9:10pm

Post #56 of 83 (89 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't interviewing [In reply to] Can't Post

I was there for more of an informal "chat" - I had no say in which candidate was chosen, though, I did agree with the end result. Wink It's for another PhD student who will be looking at stuff completely unrelated to my project.

The rusty remains were once a whaling station in the late 19th/early 20th century. It's the principal settlement on the island, and there are a number of other whaling stations on the island. The Church is the only building which remains for its full purpose. I can't remember the exact figure, but nearly 1 million whales and seals were killed and "processed" at the site. It was such a slaughter than by the 1960's the surrounding ocean was devoid of mammals. In 1966 the station closed down. They literally got up and left, leaving everything there. That really is a blubber cooker, and even after all these years, the station still smells of blubber and whale. (This site probably explains it better than I can).

Thankfully, seals and whales are no longer threatened in the area.

And thank you to you, and everyone, for your sympathies.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Smile

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 23 2013, 10:23pm

Post #57 of 83 (82 views)
Shortcut
Well, hot on the chase she runs-atop the ball [In reply to] Can't Post

and ends up sitting on it. She can't pick it up anyway to bring it back ha!.

The really light smaller catnip ball with the feather stops pretty quickly, and scooter being so honed into the the roll-ability of the tennis ball quickly over-shoots it, flips back to try snagging it with a front claw. Funny stuffLaugh

Rain, thank ye kindly. And 40's all next week. 5inches of ice on the pond, stopped there after appointment with our tax guy.

Yous getting slush?Tongue

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2013, 10:50pm

Post #58 of 83 (80 views)
Shortcut
A ghost town, of sorts! [In reply to] Can't Post

I shuddered to think of that bay teeming with whale and other sea-mammals, only to be hunted to local extinction...how horrible, now it makes me glad to see those hulks rusting! Unsure

(Although I do realize and accept the importance of whaling back in those days; hubby's great-great-grandfather was a whaler. Once, when they were in the skiff having harpooned a whale, it "gave a flounder with its' tail", as the song goes, and the man sitting beside his g-g-grandfather disappeared off the boat, and was never found. Thus the leviathans exact some small revenge on their hunters.)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2013, 10:53pm

Post #59 of 83 (82 views)
Shortcut
Just rain! [In reply to] Can't Post

But cold rain, and it looks to rain well into tomorrow. Glad it's not something we have to shovel, one of our snowshovels broke while doing that last batch! Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2013, 10:57pm

Post #60 of 83 (90 views)
Shortcut
That's not weird. [In reply to] Can't Post

Back at college, we'd make half coffee half cocoa, and stir a mound of whipped cream into it. Ice cream in hot chocolate is a variation of that - or maybe it's the other way around...

It's unlike you to trade in knitting for a bout of "stitching"! What ailed you, if I might ask? Unsure

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 12:20am

Post #61 of 83 (90 views)
Shortcut
D, you don't know yer own strength [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh. Or was it that strapping son of your'n? That last batch you had must have been super dense and heavy (as a cat that hangs on with 4 clawed feet).

I have one i like with a wooden handle without a metal edge which i keep gluing and clamping when it breaks. I like it for the roofs. Must be 10 yrs old. Looks like it's been through the (M-e) wars.

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 12:32am

Post #62 of 83 (81 views)
Shortcut
I think she wrassled a wild boar. [In reply to] Can't Post

Leastways we knows what's for supper.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2013, 1:40am

Post #63 of 83 (78 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, the "strapping son" did it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although to be fair, I should admit that it was an old plastic-scoop shovel, and the scoop already had a crack when we put it into service this winter - probably got bumped by something during the summer.

LOL, have you yet named your sword - er, shovel - that was re-forged?

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 2:45am

Post #64 of 83 (76 views)
Shortcut
Guthslush... [In reply to] Can't Post

[root] Guth= battle.

Cornball for sureTongue

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2013, 3:15am

Post #65 of 83 (77 views)
Shortcut
At least it's not... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a letter-opener. Wink

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 24 2013, 3:36am

Post #66 of 83 (79 views)
Shortcut
I think the medical staff would agree [In reply to] Can't Post

that the poor boar wouldn't stand a chance! ;) I should've been a viking berserker, to hear them talk it, but that toughness didn't do me any favors this time around it seems. At least not pre-surgery. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 24 2013, 3:48am

Post #67 of 83 (77 views)
Shortcut
My inability to realize that I am human, apparently. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd rather not give out details publicly, but it seems that hobbits and shieldmaidens fade very reluctantly. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 4:36am

Post #68 of 83 (72 views)
Shortcut
Oh, wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, my condolences on the loss of your dear dog. I know from experience that losing a beloved pet can hurt as much as losing a human friend.

And thank you so much for the amazing photos! I've only scrolled though them quickly, but I plan to go back and look at them more slowly. I really love #239, that wonderful green valley that reminds me of some of my favorite tundra places here. And your porthole photo makes me feel like I'm along on the trip, minus the sea-sickness. Love all the penguins and seals <3 Is that you in 181? And 182 is so interesting, that strange fog.

I'll look forward to looking at these in more detail. Thanks again for sharing them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 4:43am

Post #69 of 83 (69 views)
Shortcut
Happy healing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Surgery's no fun, but the healing time can be kind of meditative, a chance to just be and not do. Of course knitting counts as meditation. Hope you feel much better very soon.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 4:48am

Post #70 of 83 (86 views)
Shortcut
Late again. Went to a sad memorial service today. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really know the young man. His mom is someone I know from church, but not well. We've said hello at the social hour for years, but not chatted that much. Her son was 22. He went to Russia to study at a university there, and was found dead in his dorm room. The family went to Russia to try to find out what happened, with no luck. They've been trying to get his body released for burial in America, also with no luck. I can't begin to imagine.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 24 2013, 11:19am

Post #71 of 83 (90 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry to hear this [In reply to] Can't Post

That is terrible news. Sending my thoughts to the family, and I hope they get the closure they deserve.

Thank you for your kind wishes as well. Let's hope next week is better for all of us.

That is me in #181. That's also me in 200 and 268. The penguins and seals have no fear because of the lack of human interaction. The seals can be feisty, but I think they are more inquisitive than dangerous. The pups run up and just want to play. The penguins are even more timid (especially the Gentoo and Chinstrap penguins). They will wander straight up to you, providing you don't move suddenly. If you look closely at 239 you can spot a number of seals - they're everywhere!

I think Penguin River and the surroudning area was my favourite. It felt very pre-historic, but with penguins and seals. It also screamed "Middle-earth". Evil

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2013, 1:03pm

Post #72 of 83 (63 views)
Shortcut
Very tough in the fiber, I deem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds horrid - no details needed, just glad to know you're back and in one piece! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2013, 1:08pm

Post #73 of 83 (63 views)
Shortcut
That cough just hangs on. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatever type of cold this is, it's been nasty this year. I hope the doctor knows what to give you, to finally wipe it out!

Enjoy the Hobbit in IMAX! Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2013, 1:10pm

Post #74 of 83 (65 views)
Shortcut
What a nightmare! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they have someone from the Embassy working on this! Unsure My thoughts and prayers for them!

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 9:54pm

Post #75 of 83 (57 views)
Shortcut
The pictures were a journey [In reply to] Can't Post

First off Daniel i think the light and the clarity is striking and i wonder about the hues that are missed by the camara's failings. The ice itself would reveal so much.

I was fascinated by all the lenticular 'events' especially shot's #782 & #381. It shows just how invisible are much of the air currents.

The wife and i really warmed up to the little blond seal. All the wildlife shots were great. I was wondering about what level of 'play' could be done with these guys, if any. Are they approachable?

I really like the shot #204. There is so much form and color there. And the 'sunrise over South Georgia (#172) is wonderful.

What a luxury cruiser you were on. The toilet seems most.....adventurous. New horizons of balance skills to work into the mix of a pitching shipTongue

All the iceberg shots were a treat. #137 makes one wonder what the other 9/10th of it looks like. It even feels a bit scary thinking on it.

Thanks again for your efforts to bring them all to us.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.