Other
View Results (109 votes)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 23 2013, 12:13pm

Post #1 of 56 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Favourite fantasy series other than LotR Can't Post

Since we all read Tolkien (I hope), I've been wondering what everyone's other favourite fantasy series is. Sorry if there already has been a post like this.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 23 2013, 12:59pm

Post #2 of 56 (962 views)
Shortcut
Martin, no question about it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Vangalad
Lorien

Feb 23 2013, 1:01pm

Post #3 of 56 (962 views)
Shortcut
I'll go with [In reply to] Can't Post

Game of Thrones, because it's the series I currently read and watch. Though I'm also fond of the Riftwar Cycle, Harry Potter and the Fionavar Tapestry.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 23 2013, 2:02pm

Post #4 of 56 (948 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed the Inheritance books [In reply to] Can't Post

Although they had many elements derived from LOTR as many critics have pointed out. Narnia is well and good given that it's Lewis' work and not derived from Tolkien. The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series is quite enjoyable, but really most fantasy books don't hold me for long, simply because they can't compare to LOTR or open up anything particularly new and exciting, and therefore I often feel that I'm wasting my time reading them (only my opinion, mind).

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 23 2013, 2:41pm

Post #5 of 56 (944 views)
Shortcut
That's the problem with the birth of a masterpiece [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything from the same genre that comes afterwards is just a shadow of its greatness.

Discworld is my favourite. It makes fun of everything in good humour.

Bellerock
Rivendell

Feb 23 2013, 4:40pm

Post #6 of 56 (943 views)
Shortcut
Zelazny's Amber series [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed the Amber series by Roger Zelazny. There are an endless number of new worlds to explore in his stories, and none of them seem familiar. He managed to create something truly imaginative (and not derivative of Tolkien.)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 23 2013, 5:04pm

Post #7 of 56 (925 views)
Shortcut
The Chronicles of Narnia, hands down. [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up with those, starting with the 1979 cartoon. Then I read the books and just have loved them ever since.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 23 2013, 5:12pm

Post #8 of 56 (916 views)
Shortcut
That is why I like Martin's world so much [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it's so vastly different from LOTR, that is one of it's strengths that it can stand on it's own. The setting is the same and you can tell he's been inspired by Tolkien but the story is original.

I like Potter to an extent. Narnia... feels like a sugar-coated verision of Middle-earth to me - not my cup of tea.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 23 2013, 5:26pm

Post #9 of 56 (925 views)
Shortcut
Of the three I might choose from: [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only read the first book in the Game of Thrones series. I liked that one a lot but I can't say anything about the series till I read more.

I enjoy the Harry Potter books for what they are. Not perfect but lots of good stuff to enjoy and satisfy.

So, I picked the Pern books. The first ones were really enjoyable. The series lingered too long and the later ones were not at all.

I enjoyed the Darkover novels by Marion Zimmer Bradley very much.

Are the Dresden Files book fantasy? I like them.. although I put them a little closer to 'pulp fiction' than 'good art.'

But, series, in general, don't fare well in terms of consistent quality. And, for that matter, LOTR is not a series. It's one tale broken into three books.

I'd much rather read a non-serial story that is creative and original and well told than follow a familiar and comfortable concept way past it's natural life span.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 23 2013, 5:28pm)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 23 2013, 5:41pm

Post #10 of 56 (916 views)
Shortcut
It's true [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite being a fan of Tolkien, he managed to create something very unique. I adore his characters as much as Tolkien's.

Harry Potter is good for light reading. Narnia became a bit odd near the end - the last book seemed so out of place and forced.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 23 2013, 5:42pm

Post #11 of 56 (923 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to read them some time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Bellerock
Rivendell

Feb 23 2013, 6:17pm

Post #12 of 56 (905 views)
Shortcut
Other suggestions [In reply to] Can't Post

You would probably enjoy them, they are beautifully written with amazing visual descriptions. A stand-alone book by Zelazny that is one of my favorites is Jack of Shadows, or you might check out some of his short stories. The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth is an excellent collection. That said, it's a bit difficult to tell the good guys from the bad guys. Zelazny's stories don't have Tolkien's moral compass.

Bellerock
Rivendell

Feb 23 2013, 6:21pm

Post #13 of 56 (906 views)
Shortcut
McCaffrey isn't fantasy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Anne McCaffrey is very careful to given scientific explanations for all of her plots, I maintain that her Pern stories are science fiction, not fantasy. Although they do seem to be wearing some of Fantasy's clothesWink

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 23 2013, 8:54pm

Post #14 of 56 (889 views)
Shortcut
I would pick Narnia too. [In reply to] Can't Post

And apologies if you have mentioned it before, but what is your opinion of the most recent movies?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 23 2013, 9:11pm

Post #15 of 56 (935 views)
Shortcut
JK Rowling vs Ursula LeGuin [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted for Harry Potter because I enjoyed those books, but I would give a close 2nd to the Earthsea series for originality. You don't read those books and think "oh, disguised Middle-earth again." They have some nice philosophy underlying them, but they're also brooding, and I get the sense reading them that no one in Earthsea is ever happy and never will be, or if they are enjoying life, they'll keep it a tight secret, so it's not a place I really want to visit. Middle-earth had plenty of tragedy and melancholy Elves, but there was plenty of joy to offset that, making it seem a place you'd want to revisit.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 23 2013, 10:36pm

Post #16 of 56 (883 views)
Shortcut
Other: Michael Moorcock's original Elric Saga [In reply to] Can't Post

I still haven't read any of Martin's The Songs of Ice and Fire books.

I would leave the Dragonriders series on the list on the basis that science fiction is a sub-genre of fantasy and McCaffrey uses plenty of fantasy tropes in the series.

Other well-regarded fanatasy series:

- Fritz Leiber's The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser (other favorite of mine).
- Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain.
- David (and Leigh) Eddings' The Belgariad and The Elenium (as well as their respective sequels).
- The Thieves' World books (edited by Robert Asprin).
- Wendy and Richard Pini's ElfQuest series (to get a comics reference in here).

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2013, 10:51pm

Post #17 of 56 (872 views)
Shortcut
The Galactic Milieu series, by Julian May. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cracking storytelling.

However the Pern series holds a special place in my heart as I devoured those books in my teen years.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2013, 10:53pm

Post #18 of 56 (884 views)
Shortcut
Even McCaffrey says her books are SF, not F. [In reply to] Can't Post

I bow to the author's opinion! :D

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 23 2013, 11:03pm

Post #19 of 56 (868 views)
Shortcut
I recommend them [In reply to] Can't Post

You should give them a try! They're not for everyone of course but I'd give them a chance if I were you Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 23 2013, 11:10pm

Post #20 of 56 (862 views)
Shortcut
There are some fantasy series that I have no interest in... [In reply to] Can't Post

I never warmed up to Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time books nor am I interested in Piers Anthony's Xanth series. However, I have enjoyed the Martin-edited Wild Cards series and will probably get around to GoT eventually! I am liking the HBO adaptation.

elaen32
Gondor

Feb 23 2013, 11:12pm

Post #21 of 56 (878 views)
Shortcut
Afraid I'm not being v original.. [In reply to] Can't Post

But since I have not read a lot of fantasy, I voted for HP since I really enjoyed these. JKR and I are the exact same age and I recognise a lot of the same influences, esp humour wise, from being a teen in 1980s UK. I have loved the Narnia books from childhood, but reading them as an adult, I find the language somewhat stilted, even for its time. Having said that, I really enjoyed the first film, which was quite magical. I agree the end of the series is weird- The Last Battle seems to be a rewrite of the Book of Revelations by the end. I recall being really upset at the treatment of Susan in this one!
So, at the end of the day ,Tolkien is still king!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 24 2013, 12:27am

Post #22 of 56 (858 views)
Shortcut
Oh my gosh, I've mentioned it before! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue not really! I think the first one was well done. There's not much about it that I think needs improvement, but somehow or other it just didn't give me the same fantastical feeling as I get when reading the book. I originally liked the second two movies, but now they're just 'meh'. I think they all have the potential to be extraordinary films, but they would have to stop trying to replicate other fantasy films and be their own thing. What do you think?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 24 2013, 1:51am

Post #23 of 56 (857 views)
Shortcut
I didn't vote because I couldn't choose [In reply to] Can't Post

Narnia was a childhood favorite. Also The Dark is Rising. But more recently I've loved Discworld and Harry Potter.

But my lifetime favorite is the Oz series.

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 24 2013, 2:02am

Post #24 of 56 (886 views)
Shortcut
a few [In reply to] Can't Post

Harry Potter, Narnia, "Myth" series by Robert Asprin, and a series called "The Hero Series" by Moira Moore.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 24 2013, 5:33am

Post #25 of 56 (856 views)
Shortcut
It upset me too *Spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall being really upset at the treatment of Susan in this one!

I honestly didn't understand the point of that at all. It meant that Susan was the only one still alive. Imagine how she must have felt when she heard that they had all died!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.