Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favourite fantasy series other than LotR
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Favourite fantasy series other than LotR
Terry Pratchett's Discworld
C.S. Lewis - Chronicles of Narnia
George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire
Earthsea Cycle - Ursula Le Guin
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn
Brandon Sanderson - Stormlight Archive
Raymond E. Feist - Riftwar Cycle
Anne McCaffrey - Dragonriders of Pern
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter
Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn - Tad Williams
The Farseer - Robin Hobb
I prefer Science Fiction/ other genres
I only read Tolkien
Other
View Results (109 votes)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 10:01pm

Post #51 of 56 (229 views)
Shortcut
I love Game of Thrones (the tv series) [In reply to] Can't Post

and i just started the books, so i picked Martin. Though i do love the Harry Potter films, and hope to read those books some day too.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 2 2013, 7:31am

Post #52 of 56 (246 views)
Shortcut
Martin is very good. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which book are you on? A Storm of Swords was my favourite.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 1:57pm

Post #53 of 56 (249 views)
Shortcut
I literally just started the first book this past week, [In reply to] Can't Post

and haven't gotten too far yet. And for the tv show, i'm behind on that too, having only seen the first season-- don't have HBO, and haven't gotten the season 2 blu-rays yet. So i've got a lot of George R.R. Martin in my near future...

I've got a question for you, though... Should i just go ahead and plow through the books (which i tend to do) and watch the shows after, or plow through the show (which i also tend to do ha ha but that's hard with HBO) first, and then read the books? I have a feeling once i get into the books, i'm just going to keep reading.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 10:46am

Post #54 of 56 (217 views)
Shortcut
If you read all the books first, the TV series will frustrate you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because there are many changes that you might not like. The series is a lot more violent and over-the-top with the explicit scenes than the books. Not that the books are light reading material...Angelic

I preferred reading the books first - something I wish I had done with LotR. The thing is, the books aren't as exciting if you know what happens because you watched the series. It's a lot more fun when you're shocked by something in the books and then see it in the series. Another problem with the series is that George Martin is far from finishing ASOIAF, so who knows what will happen to the series if he doesn't publish the last two books in time for season 6 and 7.

So my advice - Read the books first. They are so addictive that you cannot stop, but also very harrowing. Some readers have said that they will not pick up the books until the series is finished - and either GRRM dies before then, or they'll have to wait another fifteen years, because the intervals between books is longer each time.

I hope I helped. I'm half awake and in need of coffee, so my advice might not have sounded so sound. Crazy

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Apr 3 2013, 10:49am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 11:08am

Post #55 of 56 (236 views)
Shortcut
No, that's sound advice. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess what i was really asking was how pulpy are the books, and are they well written? And does the quality hold up in the later books? Because the tv series is really well done, so even if the story is pulpy or cheesy, the good acting and great production can highten the material. But if the same story is in the form of a poorly written novel, that is much more difficult to get through. Not that i don't enjoy pulp, or genre, it's just that it has to be of a certain quality (although i did read the Dragonlance novels many, many years ago-- ugh). But if they are, as you say, page-turners, that answers that question, so i'll continue on with the books, and then watch the series a few years down the road. I have plenty of great series to watch, but it's been long while since i've sunk my teeth into a good book series. Thanks so much, i really appreciate it!

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 4:59pm

Post #56 of 56 (222 views)
Shortcut
They are very well written [In reply to] Can't Post

The quality of the writing never wanes, but the story becomes...not bad, but hard to follow. To me, it was a very original fantasy series - not one of those fantasy paperbacks with the pulpy covers and awfully cliche blurbs. It's not cheesy at all and you can't pin down exactly what kind of plot he's using - it's quite original. The only problem you might encounter is the sheer size of the world - in every book George Martin adds more and more characters, places,houses, plots and twists that make it seem as if he's losing control of the huge universe he's creating and making it difficuly for you to keep track. He also tends to change the P.O.V. unsuspectingly - Book four, for example, is written mainly in the point of view of Jaime and Cersei and very weird, since you're used to Starks being the main characters.

Enjoy the reading and the series.Smile Glad I could help.

If you're looking for another great fantasy read that isn't as harrowing as ASOIAF - try Brandon Sanderson; don't know if you've read his works, but his Stormlight Archive and Mistborn series are really good. He's the guy that finished The Wheel of Time when Robert Jordan died.

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Apr 3 2013, 5:04pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.